Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Back to School: COVID 19 edition (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=14355)

GBDad 09-02-2020 02:35 PM

Day 2 is underway! Day 1 as to be expected. Some technical problems. Didn't take me long to ditch the school issued Chromebooks and set the kids up on our home equipment. I switched to Chrome 10 years ago when the school I was teaching at went that direction. Some parents were logging off in frustration. Emails were flying, "we're done!", "we're enrolling in private school," etc. I'm certified to teach online and did so exclusively for 3 years after our first was born so I knew what was going to happen in the early going. Also have taken numerous online classes for grad school and recertification so online education is nothing new to me and it can be as effective or more so than being in the classroom with all the distractions and other things that stop kids from learning. I do believe kids need to be in school for the social aspect, but for now, since people can't put aside their own personal agendas for even a few weeks to stop this virus from spreading (which at this point it's too far spread to stop it) I'm glad the kids are at home. Both the superintendent and principal sent "stick with it" emails last night. So far this morning it has been seamless. I do feel for the families where both parents work, kids in day care, those struggling with outdated school district equipment, and such. But for now, this works for us.

Kwak 09-02-2020 02:57 PM

That's an interesting perspective. Chrome = Google = $$$ which is why schools have them. Richer districts get Macbooks because before Apple's stock price blew up that was their bread and butter - and they've never adjusted their pricing model. Why would a pusher cut the cost of crack if even the parents of the kids on the playground are addicted to it?

Meanwhile, can somebody explain to me how they can do PE and Band virtually?

Kwak 09-02-2020 03:38 PM

Apparently there is a parent access function to Schoology. I wish I could access the school's instructions for parents but I can't because they put it on their Facebook page and didn't make it public access for non Facebook users.

I don't do Facebook. :squee:

Mark B. 09-03-2020 12:48 AM

James Madison University is kicking all off campus next Monday. Going all online for a month......or so. Kids moved in 10 days ago. My son is off campus so he can stay but we have friends who have a son who is a Freshman who has to leave this weekend. Fun times!

Kwak 09-03-2020 03:50 AM

They should never have let them move in IMO but kicking them out and sending them home is also irresponsible; theyíd just be bringing it home with them.

GBDad 09-03-2020 08:49 PM

Third day down of virtual elementary school. Aside from the occasional slow loading time for some activities I think it's going extremely well. I didn't see my 3rd grader all day except for her lunch/recess break. Kindergartner needs to be watched and prodded to stay on task, but what do you expect from a barely 5 year old.

The one thing I don't want to happen is the back/forth of, "Okay....we're going in person. Oh, there's an outbreak? Back to virtual. Think it's okay now, back to school. Whoops! Another outbreak. Back home." One school in our region is doing that. Started last week. Shut it down. Plan on going back in person after Labor Day. I'm sure that's a good idea! Might want to give that one another couple weeks.

Kwak 09-08-2020 12:34 PM

This virtual schooling is still quirky. Joe couldnít get his first period webinar to load. He neglected to tell me this until a half hour into the class. I wouldnít know because he locks himself in his room and makes a big stink when I try to check on him. If he makes too much noise it upsets his mother, who in turn makes a lot of noise. If I donít keep up on him though she also makes a lot of noise because itís *my* job to ensure that he is doing his work.

Iím finding that the parental access is very convoluted. Last spring I was using an app that they provided a link for. Itís still active - which is how I was able to fire off an email to his first period teacher - but they expect me to log in to another website which essentially only provides read only access to things he should have already submitted.

Our school district tends to do everything last minute though so naturally they didnít send out the parental access codes for this app and Iím expected to use my kidís student email to log in, which means *knock knock.*

All this because they want us to be involved - but not TOO involved.

Have cake DNE eat it too.

GBDad 09-10-2020 05:43 PM

Things still going relatively well for our online schooling. University of Wisconsin-Madison going online only for 2 weeks. Doubt they'll open again this semester. Chancellor "ordered" undergrads to restrict their movements during the shutdown. Yeah right! A school in Oshkosh shut down because too many staff are on quarantine and there are no subs. I guess congrats on giving it a shot but was just a matter of time. Thought it would take a couple months, some schools didn't even make it a couple weeks.

Kwak 09-10-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBDad (Post 303304)
Things still going relatively well for our online schooling. University of Wisconsin-Madison going online only for 2 weeks. Doubt they'll open again this semester. Chancellor "ordered" undergrads to restrict their movements during the shutdown. Yeah right! A school in Oshkosh shut down because too many staff are on quarantine and there are no subs. I guess congrats on giving it a shot but was just a matter of time. Thought it would take a couple months, some schools didn't even make it a couple weeks.

I expected as much. We got another survey sent to us about going back in October. I have a feeling that they're looking for an excuse to nix in person classes. I know a majority of our municipality will be screaming bloody murder.

irie feeling 09-11-2020 04:49 PM

Lost my post.
The ART teacher told the 10 yr olds the significance of 9/11. My kiddo asked me if I knew about 9/11. I asked who told you about it and what do you know?

All she knew was 2 planes flew in to the twin towers and lots of people died.
Problem with that is:
1.1000 planes fly over our house every day all day on their way to NYC. She’ll flip out every time she sees one.
2.She’ll never want to go the city ever again.
3.With Covid in the kids faces everyday and thinking their gonna die from it, do they need to know about planes deliberately crashing into buildings?
4.How long till she’s on her I Pad looking it up?
I explained to her The Who, what, why, how, and what we’ve done to prevent it from ever happening again.
I also explained to her that firemen are hero’s , and policemen are too.

I’m kinda bitter...