Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   General Posts (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Back to School: COVID 19 edition (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=14355)

GBDad 09-11-2020 06:47 PM

Been listening to my kindergartner all day. No mention of 9/11 and while at that age you obviously don't want to go into details, but I think it should be acknowledged. Perhaps as simple as "Nineteen years ago something happened that made us more appreciative of our police, firefighters, military, and others who work to keep us safe." Maybe a discussion of "do you know anyone who is a....." Maybe relate it to the nurses and doctors working to keep us safe today. Will have to ask my 3rd grader if it was brought up at all.

Kwak 09-11-2020 07:57 PM

I think you told her all she needs to know. Ten year olds are stronger than you know. Don't let her doom scroll on her iPad over it though. There are some things about that day that still either make my blood boil or chill me to the bone.

As for the art teacher waxing poetic, as much as I like art I'm sorry but she's out of her area of expertise. I could see if it was the social studies teacher but ... smh.

Mark B. 09-11-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B. (Post 303273)
James Madison University is kicking all off campus next Monday. Going all online for a month......or so. Kids moved in 10 days ago. My son is off campus so he can stay but we have friends who have a son who is a Freshman who has to leave this weekend. Fun times!

Update! Turns out our friend's son's roommate tested positive for the China Virus a few days ago. Unfortunately, my friend was nice enough to drop his son's roommate off in NJ after getting asked to leave the JMU campus last week. My friend and his son have now tested positive in CT. So instead of containing the China virus on campus it looks like the School elected to possibly send it all over the country.

Kwak 09-11-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B. (Post 303317)
Update! Turns out our friend's son's roommate tested positive for the China Virus a few days ago. Unfortunately, my friend was nice enough to drop his son's roommate off in NJ after getting asked to leave the JMU campus last week. My friend and his son have now tested positive in CT. So instead of containing the China virus on campus it looks like the School elected to possibly send it all over the country.

Yup. If they were going to have virtual classes then they should have told everybody to stay home in the first place. Kids being away from their parents for the first times in their lives without any sort of structure in place usually means that all inhibitions are lifted.

TwoCubs 09-14-2020 11:18 AM

I suppose most of the administrators forgot that most "kids" under 25 are indestructible in their own minds, that all of them are the exception to the rule.

Kwak 09-14-2020 12:52 PM

On a different note, we just went through the process of having our severely autistic 16yo son tested under suspicion that he might have COVID. Those results came back negative - as we expected; he is reasonably new enough to his school that the nurse doesn't understand his quirks or appreciate how he is unable to testify on his own behalf because he has an extremely limited vocabulary and a tendency to parrot things back.

Granted, he's high risk but he's also the kind of kid who becomes a danger to himself and others if his rituals are disrupted. Near as we can surmise, he had a different classroom aide on Friday. That's all it takes to throw him off.

GBDad 09-14-2020 01:56 PM

Another state university has gone on an emergency "shelter in place" order for 2 weeks. UW-La Crosse joins Madison in shutting down. An area school district contacted parents last evening that they were going virtual beginning this morning due to staff shortage. At the same time many people in our neighborhood are looking into private schools because "online learning isn't working for our family."

Think my wife had fun last Tuesday when she helped the kids with school. She made me a bunch of appointments that day and I snuck in 9 holes between two of them so it was just her, the first time she'd done it. Last night she asked if I wanted to go golfing again this Tuesday. Ummmmm.....OKAY!

Kwak 09-14-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBDad (Post 303328)
Another state university has gone on an emergency "shelter in place" order for 2 weeks. UW-La Crosse joins Madison in shutting down. An area school district contacted parents last evening that they were going virtual beginning this morning due to staff shortage. At the same time many people in our neighborhood are looking into private schools because "online learning isn't working for our family."

Think my wife had fun last Tuesday when she helped the kids with school. She made me a bunch of appointments that day and I snuck in 9 holes between two of them so it was just her, the first time she'd done it. Last night she asked if I wanted to go golfing again this Tuesday. Ummmmm.....OKAY!

If public schools are having teacher shortages how are private schools (with higher overhead) able to have such depth of staffing? The only advantage I see is that private schools are more flexible with regards to execution of instruction - something that public schools are having trouble with since they're so institutionalized.

Sorry, but I still think the burden is going to be still stuck squarely on the parents' shoulders and that this who dual income thing is going to prove to be unstable as we have been living in a have your cake and eat it too kind of work/life imbalance deal.

My wife is on back to back conference calls all day so no help there. We only get yelled at if we get an email from the school district because she's in the loop. Kiddo is looking forward to classes starting in 2 weeks but I still have a questionnaire to fill out (that's due tomorrow) which leads me to believe that that may not happen.

Kwak 09-14-2020 05:30 PM

...with that being said, my kid wants to go back to school and is looking forward to it. That being said, my wife and I decided that instead of him sitting in the bus waiting to be called in (they're staggering by bus) I'm going to be driving him in. I am on record for not having high praise for the busing anyway; they are always the weak link with regards to supervision - in both my kids' educational experience, as well as my own.

I also have to pack his lunch - which is no big deal for him since he hates the school lunches. Problem is that he seems to hate my cooking too. We need to get him on board with planning a menu.

This is all up in the air and the contingency at this point is that school will only be two days a week anyway with the plan of going back to five days a week in January. I doubt even then it will be "normal." Our school district seems to be one of the more timid to reopen in the area.

TwoCubs 09-15-2020 11:15 AM

Busing is a weak link. The worst things that ever happened in "school" always happened on the bus. I got into the most fights on the bus. It was always a bad situation.