Stay at Home Dads Forum

Stay at Home Dads Forum (http://www.dadstayshome.com/index.php)
-   Daddy Deals (http://www.dadstayshome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Gretsch Americana starter acoustic guitar (http://www.dadstayshome.com/showthread.php?t=9293)

Kwak 12-27-2008 07:18 AM

Gretsch Americana starter acoustic guitar
 
A buddy of mine bought 4 of these from overstock.com for $30 apiece. I've been playing guitar for 30+ years and I gotta say that these are pretty sweet for the price. They're actually fully-functional musical instruments with great intonation, tone and volume.

http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowe...4/product.html

Here's a review from a guy I know over at the Harmony Central musician's forum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tsC5...eature=related

I don't know how long these will last, but I've been having the urge to buy a new guitar and I don't think the wife is gonna go for that $1500 Martin D-35 that I've been staying up late at night pining for! :dumb:

DC 12-28-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147640)
A buddy of mine bought 4 of these from overstock.com for $30 apiece. I've been playing guitar for 30+ years and I gotta say that these are pretty sweet for the price. They're actually fully-functional musical instruments with great intonation, tone and volume.

I don't know how long these will last, but I've been having the urge to buy a new guitar and I don't think the wife is gonna go for that $1500 Martin D-35 that I've been staying up late at night pining for! :dumb:

those are beautiful. Hard to belive you can get a genuine gretsch for that much! I wish i knew that overstock sold these or the guitars i saw on there last year when i bought my oldest charge a guitar which was this price but not a kid guitar at all even though it said it was( it was a daisy rock child size guitar). it was bigger than her lol. I wanted to get a gibson thunderbird bass but with my budget that aint happening and i thoght overstock would have them DARN.

as for the martin d35.. Sir you have some good taste in fine musical instruments...:chugchug:


however it will always remain that

gibson > martin ;) j/k

Kwak 12-28-2008 04:04 PM

Being a PA native son them's fightin werds, boy. ;)

Seriously though, Gibson as a company seems to be going out of its way to lose business. In order to be a dealer, store owners are obligated to make a $100K investment in inventory and even then Gibson's QC has been hit or miss. I have a feeling that their Chinese-made Epiphone Masterbilt line might actually be better.

I'm not saying that Martin hasn't had its issues over the recent few decades but when you find a good one (like an HD-35 I tried recently) it's like kismet.

As for "most consistent" I'd have to give the nod to Taylor, but they're a bit pricey - unless you like the 7/8 size Baby model.

As for me, I'm a Larrivée guy myself. Those Canadians are talented people!

Hockeyfan 12-28-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147732)
As for me, I'm a Larrivée guy myself. Those Canadians are talented people!

There's hope for you yet. :icon_razz:

DC 12-30-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147732)
Being a PA native son them's fightin werds, boy. ;)

Les Paul OWNS Elviiss. :icon_razz:



Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147732)
Seriously though, Gibson as a company seems to be going out of its way to lose business. In order to be a dealer, store owners are obligated to make a $100K investment in inventory and even then Gibson's QC has been hit or miss. I have a feeling that their Chinese-made Epiphone Masterbilt line might actually be better.

yeah alot of their newer guitars are just wow out there price wise and seems more corporate than muscian oriented like jackson guitars or martin seems. and epiphone is chinese made?! i thogught they were made by gibson at their factory?! so they are like the squire version of fender eh?

speaking of martin DH3 check this out :)

http://www.scottymoore.net/ep76d35.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147732)
As for me, I'm a Larrivée guy myself. Those Canadians are talented people!


true , but i just cant help the immense possibilites of a classic les paul. they just sound so nice but MAN are their necks thick. One problem with me is i have small hands and stubby fingers so its annoying to play or bend strings sometimes.

but man oh man id LOVE to have a exact replica of Randy Rhoad's polka dot flying V built by the man him self Karl Sandoval
\
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oads1_crop.jpg

http://yokohama.cool.ne.jp/ozzy666/v_2.JPG

hard to belive that this shred machine was not put in a museum for all to see. :( You can still get it custom made by Karl but doesnt look like ill have $8,000 anytime soon :dumb:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan (Post 147746)
There's hope for you yet. :icon_razz:

he didnt mean YOU.

pfft the only talented people from canada are bif naked, 3 inches of blood and pam anderson :P that company comes in LAST :icon_lol:

North Country Dad 12-30-2008 02:05 PM

I bought a 'beater' guitar a few years ago -- something I didn't have to worry about banging up or having the kids knock over. It's a Johnson, made in China. It cost $50 and sounds pretty darn good. It's full-size and has a big sound, like a jumbo. I think that covers up some tonal issues, but for the money, it's a very nice 'second or third' guitar. And the others who have played it say the same thing.

This is the same color as mine, though a different model. http://www.harmony-central.com/Produ.../000050129.jpg

Kwak 12-30-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Crowley (Post 147956)
Les Paul OWNS Elviiss. :icon_razz:

Sorry, Chet Atkins pwns Les Paul. IIRC ol' Chet played classicals and archtops though - possibly Gibson or Epi archtops, I'm not sure. Chet's sig guitar was actually a brand called "Sand"

Quote:

yeah alot of their newer guitars are just wow out there price wise and seems more corporate than muscian oriented like jackson guitars or martin seems. and epiphone is chinese made?! i thogught they were made by gibson at their factory?! so they are like the squire version of fender eh?
Yeah, about like that. Squiers were first made in Japan during the 80s but I don't think they had nearly half of the QC issues that the Chicoms have had. THe cost of labor went up afterwards so many US companies looked to Korea for their budget guitar production.

Gibson reportedly built their own factory specifically for the revived Masterbilt brand (which is only part of the Epi line, the rest being made elsewhere in Asia - like Korea or Singapore.) They build them by hand there but QC isn't done until they're unloaded from a mega-container ship in Long Beach, CA. I've seen a few nasty examples (cracks, scratches, gouges, etc.) with "2nd" stamped into the rear of the headstock at my local Guitar Center. IMO it's a sin that they even hang them up on the wall for sale, but don't get me started on Guitar Center's practices.

Quote:

speaking of martin DH3 check this out :)

http://www.scottymoore.net/ep76d35.html
Only $20K? What a steal! There are "Authentic" and "Golden Era" models that fetch over $25K brand new. That guitar's probably worth a lot more.

BTW - that guitar can still be repaired. They'd have to steam it to remove the old top and then replace it, but that'd pretty much change the tonal character of the instrument.

Since we're playing one-upmanship here, bear in mind that Elivis wasn't the only one to make the D-35 famous. Johnny Cash, Steven Stills, Jim Croce and Ray LaMontagne also play(ed) one. Check THIS one out!
http://www.martinguitar.com/artists/...tist.php?d=347

Quote:

true , but i just cant help the immense possibilites of a classic les paul. they just sound so nice but MAN are their necks thick. One problem with me is i have small hands and stubby fingers so its annoying to play or bend strings sometimes.

but man oh man id LOVE to have a exact replica of Randy Rhoad's polka dot flying V built by the man him self Karl Sandoval
\

hard to belive that this shred machine was not put in a museum for all to see. :( You can still get it custom made by Karl but doesnt look like ill have $8,000 anytime soon :dumb:
Apples and oranges. I used to like playing the electric and idolized the likes of Randy Rhoades, Eddie Van Halen (I even own a junky Kramer model), Vito Bratta Yngwie Malmsteen but calmed down a little and began to appreciate the more soulful ministrations of Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, etc. In fact, I also have a Strat with a decent-sized tube amp but my wife put her foot down when I turned it up past "2."

Going back on-topic though, have you ever seen one of the Martin "Felix the Cat" models? Pricey in comparison to this Gretsch:

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choos...es/FeLiX_f.jpg

DC 01-06-2009 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147969)
Sorry, Chet Atkins pwns Les Paul. IIRC ol' Chet played classicals and archtops though - possibly Gibson or Epi archtops, I'm not sure. Chet's sig guitar was actually a brand called "Sand"

truth! the man can PLAY! I once saw him live on tv, he was amazing even at the ripe old age of 80!!





Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwak (Post 147969)
Gibson reportedly built their own factory specifically for the revived Masterbilt brand (which is only part of the Epi line, the rest being made elsewhere in Asia - like Korea or Singapore.) They build them by hand there but QC isn't done until they're unloaded from a mega-container ship in Long Beach, CA. I've seen a few nasty examples (cracks, scratches, gouges, etc.) with "2nd" stamped into the rear of the headstock at my local Guitar Center. IMO it's a sin that they even hang them up on the wall for sale, but don't get me started on Guitar Center's practices. Only $20K? What a steal! There are "Authentic" and "Golden Era" models that fetch over $25K brand new. That guitar's probably worth a lot more.

BTW - that guitar can still be repaired. They'd have to steam it to remove the old top and then replace it, but that'd pretty much change the tonal character of the instrument.

true depends on where you go, it goes with the saying of how a guitar is built and its price.




but then really the hisoric value is lost

Since we're playing one-upmanship here, bear in mind that Elivis wasn't the only one to make the D-35 famous. Johnny Cash, Steven Stills, Jim Croce and Ray LaMontagne also play(ed) one. Check THIS one out!
http://www.martinguitar.com/artists/...tist.php?d=347



Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak
Apples and oranges. I used to like playing the electric and idolized the likes of Randy Rhoades, Eddie Van Halen (I even own a junky Kramer model), Vito Bratta Yngwie Malmsteen but calmed down a little and began to appreciate the more soulful ministrations of Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, etc. In fact, I also have a Strat with a decent-sized tube amp but my wife put her foot down when I turned it up past "2."

Going back on-topic though, have you ever seen one of the Martin "Felix the Cat" models? Pricey in comparison to this Gretsch:

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choos...es/FeLiX_f.jpg

yeah ive seen those as well as the johnny cash versions, beautiful guitars though but man way beyond my price range.

also yigwie malmstein maybe a very talented musician but in real life the guy is a complete and utter pompus jerk! Met him several times and all the times he expected a red carpet to be rolled out for him.

as for the electric, what kind of tube amp you got? and hey you can just give your wife EAR PLUGS right :icon_lol:

irie feeling 06-30-2010 02:10 PM

I found the sundowner on ebay for $199 no box. Seller must be nuts!
Cheers! Jeff

irie feeling 10-26-2011 05:37 PM

Hey KWAK, seen one today for $525!
Talk about missed oppty. In 2008 they were $49


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Dadstayshome.com