Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

We joined the C.C. Lots of well behaved children in an Olympic sized,well maintained outdoor pool. Grill and bar right there next to pool. Another one not far. Restaurant food delivered poolside if you want.
We got social membership (pool and social events) for 2 bills as year is half over. Veterans discount and ADA compliant. Service Dog Welcome. (Private club- they could say no). We don't golf. Golf membership not bad. Back towards NYC, 5 figures. Here only a 1g. 1400 for golf and social membership. The course was designed by the first President of the PGA, and one of the founders Robert White.
Idea was Pippa is lonely. We been to community pools and the kids are rotten, and so are the parents, and there are water parks nearby, if you don't mind standing in line or sitting at pool with 200 others.
I used to golf 9 holes back in the Navy of Friday's and it counted as PT.
my wife used to as well.
I wonder how to work that out, given my current health situation.
I'm not allowed to be in a pool, doctors orders. (For example)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Diaper Jockey

Been a while since I checked in. Been a busy summer so far. This past week we went full-on Clark Griswold and loaded up the the Volks-WagonQueen Family Truckster and took the tribe cross country. Well, a decent portion of it. Set out on Wednesday, June 27, and spent a night in the Chicago area and took the kids to the Legoland Discovery Center. Then drove to Indianapolis and hit the zoo and Children's Museum (HUGE by the way) Thursday into Friday. Then on to the Cincinnati area and spent two days at a Great Wolf Lodge. Sunday in downtown Cincinnati for the Brewers/Reds. Cross the river on Monday to the aquarium in Newport, KY. Drive back to Chicago and spent Monday night. Tuesday went along Michigan Avenue and saw some sights and took our daughter to the American Girl store. Back home Tuesday night. Good Trip!

This weekend it's my wife's family's annual 4th of July gathering in our home town. So heading over there for some more 4th festivities.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

We’ll be camping in the Adirondacks. We did it last year and both the boys seemed to really like it, so we decided to make it a yearly thing. It’s not hard core camping by any means, but we’ll be doing the sleeping in a tent thing. But we have a little Coleman propane stove, cooler of beer (and something for the kinds if I remember), camp chairs, and little comforts like that. It’s a state run campsite so there are facilities a very short walk from where we set up. We got the same site we had last year so know exactly what to expect.

We’ll do some low key hiking, maybe rent a kayak this year since the camp is right on one of the many large “ponds” up there. Of course hit up the Wild Center because the boys loved that place. Make sure to find a time to visit a couple local breweries and a distillery up there. But mostly just relax away from screens and electorinics and all that. Lately the wife has had her phone in her hand 24/7 and we’ve got a couple “but mommy is always using her phone why can’t I use my iPad!” From the 8 year old. Should be good for everyone.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Local club is doing a smoked beer festival tomorrow. Not only smoked beer, but smoked foods as well. Several smokers will be going all day. Should be a good time. I know I could use some time with other adult human beings.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I gotta disconnect. I'll be back.
Monday, August 6th, God willing and if the creeks don't rise.
Going on vacation. Headed to Northern Maine. Gonna go and do nothing. Maybe watch some fish jump on the lake. Might even try to catch some. Not sure.
Take care. No internet where I'm going.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Went to the zoo up Syracuse yesterday. Wife decided to take her birthday off from work and wanted to do something as a family, so that's what we settled on. It was a nice day, the kids really were in to most of the animals. They were even pretty well behaved when we went out to dinner. They were so worn out the fell asleep on the way back, stayed up for a bit when we got home, and then crawled in to bed, so that was nice.

Today I'm starring out the window like a kid waiting for Santa... except I'm waiting for FedEx. Wife finally gave the big thumbs up to replacing my aging computer so the new one is supposed to arrive sometime today!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Trophy Husband

It wasn't exactly a plan but worked out nice.
Saturday I dropped my daughter and her friend off at the Mall. On the way home I was going to stop by the local driving range. I realized then that there was a big car show in town that benefits The Special Olympics. Its called "the dream ride". I decided to hit balls figuring it was too late to go to the show. I park my car at the range and see a few cops setting up traffic cones. I ask what was up and found out that The Dream Ride was to cruise right by the range in a bout 45 minutes. I hit my bucket and parked my car in a shady spot and instead of looking at a crap load of exotic and collectable cars sitting idle I got to see AND hear them drive by with a special needs child inside waving to everyone with a grin ear to ear. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Trophy Husband

Decided to make a one day trip to Long Island on Saturday so my in-laws and a few other siblings could wish my son farewell before he leaves for college next week. Being a rainy grey day it turned out to be a good idea. Best part was that we had NY pizza for lunch and NY Chinese for dinner. MMM! I did not even have to drive! I became designated dog holder. One dog sleeps the whole time and other younger one pants and whines. I bought a smaller dog carrier that we put her in and keep on a lap. Better that than her climbing all over you. What really sucked was when I turned the key to turn on to start the Acadia that I took to the store earlier it acted like it had a dead battery. Strange, I made a executive decision to have us all load in the smaller Ford Focus and make the trip. Fun times!

I hooked up the portable jump box the the Acadia this morning and it started right up. I am charging it now, or at least the gauges say I am. I will turn it off in about a half hour and try starting it up again. If it does not start I assume it is a bad battery. I HAVE to get this sorted this week. I plan to use the Acadia to drive my son down to VA next week. I was not happy yesterday when it all went down but realized better to find the issue now then when out of state next week.

Last edited by Mark B.; 08-12-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 PM
Trophy Husband

Not much going on here this weekend. Kids want to go with other friends to Six Flags. Wife mentioned something about having friends over tomorrow. Not sure I am into it. We have to pack up the boys stuff for heading off to college Monday. I am kinda in a fog about that.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Looks like we actually have a quiet weekend this weekend. With all the rain and flooding nearby the couple things we were going to take the boys to have been cancelled. Works for me. If we manage get no rain this weekend I think I'll be spending a lot of time around the grill. Enjoy the deck sitting/grilling weather while I still can.