Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Just Dad

Hopefully, the noro-virus has finished its run through the house. I laundered all of my sons bedding and finished laundry for the house. Now, I need to buy paint and get ready to paint and switch the kids' rooms.

I've got to replace all of the shelving hardware in the closets since the existing shelf and bracket were installed with a handful of "hammer-drive plastic anchors". I had to look them up. They used these all throughout the house for any and all shelving (pantry, laundry room, linen closet, closet rods, garage shelving). I've had four shelves fail and rip from the walls since we moved-in. It's like they intentionally avoided the studs.

I'm replacing them with the white vented shelving that actually secures to the studs.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Hopefully, the noro-virus has finished its run through the house. I laundered all of my sons bedding and finished laundry for the house. Now, I need to buy paint and get ready to paint and switch the kids' rooms.

I've got to replace all of the shelving hardware in the closets since the existing shelf and bracket were installed with a handful of "hammer-drive plastic anchors". I had to look them up. They used these all throughout the house for any and all shelving (pantry, laundry room, linen closet, closet rods, garage shelving). I've had four shelves fail and rip from the walls since we moved-in. It's like they intentionally avoided the studs.

I'm replacing them with the white vented shelving that actually secures to the studs.
Yeah, those plastic wall anchors are the worst. The thing with them is that they are only designed to hold up so much weight and they get brittle with age. Our hallway closet's shelving buckled in much the same way. It turned out the problem was that there weren't enough anchors to distribute the load; there has to be one every 10", not just one at each end.

I especially hate them on towel rods because of that. I replaced the towel rod in the boys' bathroom with four hooks anchored on a backing board that covers a pretty ugly hole left when the old wall anchor pulled out from the wall.

I still have to make stuff (like an ugly yellow comforter) disappear in the closet and pick the towels up off the floor on a daily basis though.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

My wife comes home today and the house is in shambles. I'm focusing on the master bedroom, which has become a dusty cluttered mess that I have only added to this week. My goal is to paint the door and window trim and baseboards, which is going to involve moving the bed and dressers around. Once that's done I need to dust and break out the Murphy's.

The kitchen is a wreck too. I'm pretty sure my wife will be working from home tomorrow so I need to tackle THAT today too. Tomorrow I plan on washing all the pollen and grit off the outside of the house.

BTW, I know that I haven't even started yet. This is how I motivate myself in the morning. It's my own version of the honey do list.

Last edited by Kwak; 05-23-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

My big accomplishment: I broke the printer. Oops!
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Wife came home early with a cold and interfered with school.
Kid got a C on a quiz because she guessed all the answers. Refused to use the notes printed off for her. I say there and watched her. I said, "retake it!, and use your notes this time!". She ran and asked Mommy. Mom let her off the hook.

All the quizzes and test are open book. How could you NOT get A's and B's?
No excuse for a C.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Its the way her "online teacher" said to do it. Teach them how to use the book after they learned the lesson to find the answers. In future years they will learn to write notes, and study.
Granted these are only Social studies, science , foreign language, English lit., and health.
Math, reading, and writing you have to PROVE through assessments.
The others are just "exposure" at this level.

Last edited by irie feeling; 05-23-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Super Duper Daddy

That sucks, irie. You're clearly in a tough position here. I would not budge and make it a hard C. If your wife has an issue with it she can talk to the department of education or whoever oversees this stuff. You're just doing your job.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Not much after the wife came home.
Now that the weather is-a-changing, I'm planning my galaxy hunting adventures.
Find myself thinking, scheming what my next ship in a bottle might be.
I've got written plans/diagrams to scale for 3 or 4. From a Schooner up to Clipper ship. The 5 masted "ghost ship" intrigues me. Showed up on the shore in NC, fully rigged, fully loaded with stores and cargo. No one onboard.
Lazy, soggy afternoon.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
My wife comes home today and the house is in shambles. I'm focusing on the master bedroom, which has become a dusty cluttered mess that I have only added to this week. My goal is to paint the door and window trim and baseboards, which is going to involve moving the bed and dressers around. Once that's done I need to dust and break out the Murphy's.

The kitchen is a wreck too. I'm pretty sure my wife will be working from home tomorrow so I need to tackle THAT today too. Tomorrow I plan on washing all the pollen and grit off the outside of the house.

BTW, I know that I haven't even started yet. This is how I motivate myself in the morning. It's my own version of the honey do list.
Mission accomplished. I even took the bike around back and hit it with the hose and used to soft bristle brush to scrub tree pollen off the siding in the area of the spigot. I especially love that we opted to replace the railings with Her friends are coming in for the holiday weekend and I'd like the backyard to look presentable. I don't get an "attaboy" for any of this though. I do it solely for the self gratification.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Trophy Husband

Amongst other tasks I am now going to be taking my daughter for x ray of her elbow. She fell in the Dunkin parking lot this morning. of course the wife has the day off and we wanted to do stuff outside today. My daughter is an accident waiting to happen.