Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 PM
Trophy Husband

Spent the weekend in the Poconos with the kids and other assorted family at Poppy's and Nanny's lake house. Pretty breezy which made casting off the dock a bit harder than normal with the wind in our face all weekend but still fun. Kids had a blast tubing as well. The wife stayed home to get up to speed on some work issues and take a mental break.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:09 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

My sisters are in town. One from Florida, one from Virginia. We hang out Saturday at the house. And went to the NASCAR race at Pocono raceway Sunday. Gave my service dog the day off, my sisters are nurses. Wife and kid stayed home, not their thing, said dog was confused but calmed down after while. (Saw 2 service dogs at the track)
Was a fun day, I would have never done it alone.
Could see Mt. Pocono in the distance, looked like a tiny hill (really all it is)
Dog was waiting at screen door for me when I got home, tail wagging.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Spent the weekend in the Poconos with the kids and other assorted family at Poppy's and Nanny's lake house. Pretty breezy which made casting off the dock a bit harder than normal with the wind in our face all weekend but still fun. Kids had a blast tubing as well. The wife stayed home to get up to speed on some work issues and take a mental break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
My sisters are in town. One from Florida, one from Virginia. We hang out Saturday at the house. And went to the NASCAR race at Pocono raceway Sunday. Gave my service dog the day off, my sisters are nurses. Wife and kid stayed home, not their thing, said dog was confused but calmed down after while. (Saw 2 service dogs at the track)
Was a fun day, I would have never done it alone.
Could see Mt. Pocono in the distance, looked like a tiny hill (really all it is)
Dog was waiting at screen door for me when I got home, tail wagging.
You guys are making me homesick, but I hope you kept away from the outlets at Tannersville.

Irie, how was it having your sisters in? Did you get any sympathy? Maybe you should go pay them a visit and see if absence makes the heart grow fonder back home.

Mark, what kind of boating and how big of a lake? Wallenpaupak or one of the smaller ones? My boyhood home was next to a pond not far from Arrowhead Lake. It was too small for motorboats but (IMO) too big for a kayak; just right for canoes when it was calm and on breezy days perfect for a minifish. In the evening the water looked like glass and I found the sound of the crickets and frogs at night to be relaxing.

Anyway, this weekend we went to to a friend of a friend's place to Christen their backyard. The man of the house there cleaned up about acre of overgrowth, replaced a rotting pool patio with composite and installed an aluminum fence around. He wrapped up work the day before. It was pretty relaxing even though there were lots of boys from Joey's age up to their mid teens, but they had their fun all on their own and the adults were able to relax and chit chat. That day was my wife's birthday so she was especially festive and was the only adult to actually go in the pool. The beer and wine selection wasn't the best so it was mostly "cordial" like spritzers and something frozen but with lots of rum that my wife made. Oddly, there was no hangover for either of us the next day. I guess we need to hit the hard stuff more often!

We didn't get to my wife's birthday cake though which I was miffed about. I knew we were going to a backyard party and got a cake big enough for 24 people but Kelly said to leave it home because she didn't want to hijack the party. I can understand, so the cake sat for a night and we took it with us to visit Justin. 3/4 of it is still in the downstairs refrigerator and she's out of town until Tuesday. Talk me down, fellas! We're going to Volcano Bay in a couple of weeks and there are weight restrictions!
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
You guys are making me homesick, but I hope you kept away from the outlets at Tannersville.

Irie, how was it having your sisters in? Did you get any sympathy? Maybe you should go pay them a visit and see if absence makes the heart grow fonder back home.

Mark, what kind of boating and how big of a lake? Wallenpaupak or one of the smaller ones? My boyhood home was next to a pond not far from Arrowhead Lake. It was too small for motorboats but (IMO) too big for a kayak; just right for canoes when it was calm and on breezy days perfect for a minifish. In the evening the water looked like glass and I found the sound of the crickets and frogs at night to be relaxing.

Anyway, this weekend we went to to a friend of a friend's place to Christen their backyard. The man of the house there cleaned up about acre of overgrowth, replaced a rotting pool patio with composite and installed an aluminum fence around. He wrapped up work the day before. It was pretty relaxing even though there were lots of boys from Joey's age up to their mid teens, but they had their fun all on their own and the adults were able to relax and chit chat. That day was my wife's birthday so she was especially festive and was the only adult to actually go in the pool. The beer and wine selection wasn't the best so it was mostly "cordial" like spritzers and something frozen but with lots of rum that my wife made. Oddly, there was no hangover for either of us the next day. I guess we need to hit the hard stuff more often!

We didn't get to my wife's birthday cake though which I was miffed about. I knew we were going to a backyard party and got a cake big enough for 24 people but Kelly said to leave it home because she didn't want to hijack the party. I can understand, so the cake sat for a night and we took it with us to visit Justin. 3/4 of it is still in the downstairs refrigerator and she's out of town until Tuesday. Talk me down, fellas! We're going to Volcano Bay in a couple of weeks and there are weight restrictions!
Their hotel was on edge of Tannersville/Bartonsville. They stayed out of the outlets but asked about them. I said, "NO". Funny I gotta go back to Tannersville this morning for a play date with co-op school that's looking to expand membership. There's a really nice new park at the base of Camelback with all kinds of playground equipment.
I'm over by Henryville.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
It is Roaming Woods Lake in a community called The Hideout. Not too far from Wallenpaupack but minuscule in comparison. About 1 mile across. Power boats are allowed with skiing and tubing. Sometimes it gets pretty busy out there with all the NY city Fireman and Cops thinking they own the place.

I should have stated in my original post about last weekend that my son drove to and from PA leaving me in the back of the Jeep to enjoy the view and take my turn in requesting songs from his playlist.

Last edited by Mark B.; 08-01-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Their hotel was on edge of Tannersville/Bartonsville. They stayed out of the outlets but asked about them. I said, "NO". Funny I gotta go back to Tannersville this morning for a play date with co-op school that's looking to expand membership. There's a really nice new park at the base of Camelback with all kinds of playground equipment.
I'm over by Henryville.
Camelback is New Jerseyites' foothold into the area. Have you looked into Jack Frost/Big Boulder or Montage Mountain up in Scranton? Explore some state parks like the boulder field at Hickory Run State Park. Go to Bushkill Falls or the Delaware Water Gap State Park. My mom used to take me swimming at the lake at Gouldsboro State Park. My favorite was hiking to see the waterfalls at Ricket's Glen which is west of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton but there's lots of climbing. Knoebel's Grove (amusement park) is out west and a little south of I-80 and much less crowded than Dorney Park or Six Flags. Why not go up to Scranton and visit Steam Town then grab dinner at Cooper's?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
It is Roaming Woods Lake in a community called The Hideout. Not too far from Wallenpaupack but minuscule in comparison. About 1 mile across. Power boats are allowed with skiing and tubing. Sometimes it gets pretty busy out there with all the NY city Fireman and Cops thinking they own the place.

I should have stated in my original post about last weekend that my son drove to and from PA leaving me in the back of the Jeep to enjoy the view and take my turn in requesting songs from his playlist.
Never heard of it but it sounds cool. If you ever want to get out of the touristy areas check out some of the ideas I just posted for Irie.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Good ideas, all. I've been to some. We like Promise Land State Park.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Never heard of it but it sounds cool. If you ever want to get out of the touristy areas check out some of the ideas I just posted for Irie.
The ONLY reason I go that area is for the lake house community. I have been to Montage and Elk mountains in the winter for skiing.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Just got word that my wife's sister and her kids will be in town this weekend. She asked if I'd make the brisket we have, but looking at the weather for the weekend I'm not sure that'll work (basically have to get the smoker going before 6am - but looks like too much potential rain on Saturday). The kids will be excited to see their cousins though.