Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2020, 04:38 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Grab a telescope! Great time to get your kids interested in astronomy, or yourself.
There is a TRUE SUPERNOVA taking place in a galaxy easily spotted in an amateur telescope! No, it's not Betelguese.
The star is in the brightening phase and will explode in the next week or two.
It's in the constellation Coma Berenices and follows Leo, coming into my area from the East around 1130.
Galaxy is called Messier 100, or just M100.
If you don't have a telescope, one can usually find timed daily astrophotogaphy shots that show the brightening phase through exploding on the interweb. Designated Sn2020oi.
So "SN 2020oi messier 100." On Internet browser maybe.

It's near the core, David Bishop on Flickr has best photo so far. Not much to see, but will get brighter.

Last edited by irie feeling; 01-15-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 PM
Diaper Jockey

Mentioned a while ago that I still like to have a physical copy of my music in this age of digital downloads and streaming services. Well, our friends the Millennials have decided that physical music is cool again and that vinyl is the way to go. Some argue that vinyl sounds better. Meh. I have a lot of vinyl, but many more CDs. Older music, and box sets, etc., I'll tend to buy on vinyl.

But.....the best argument for CD vs. Vinyl is this. This morning on Amazon, $4.99 for the CD copy of Pearl Jam's "Yield". Same album on vinyl......wait for it......$21.45. Even if you think that vinyl sounds better, it doesn't sound 400% better!

Rock on Millennials! Keep up the demand for, and driving up the price of, vinyl so I can get cheap CDs!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 01-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I might be getting me some freedom...
Momma bear, aka "the boss," has convinced Pippa that they should both go check out a private school that is applying for a charter. "It must be good b/c my boss sends his kid there and he's on the board", she says.
She's also convinced it's gonna be like the STEM school everyday (100 kids to make friends with).
The reason we homeschool is because she came home everyday crying, about how mean the other girls were to her. That was PRESCHOOL!!!
Been home schooling ever since. She has issues. High anxiety. (Worries about stupid shit all the time).
Scared to death of stormy weather. I tried to show her "weather is cool" if you learn about it. Track it. Know when to prepare for it.
Anyway, she's excited.
Then... Boss opens the idea of Catholic school???
Kiddo must hate homeschool! Even though we are done in 4 hours and there's no homework... I think maybe she's tired of me (asshole Dad) or longing for friends.
She gets A's and B's. Rarely a C. On standardized test she's always at or above grade level. We have good cirruculum.
Oh yeah, and for clarity, all I do is grade the worksheets and maybe clarify if she's confused. She has a computer course.
Arivee' derche!
Old 01-26-2020, 02:01 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I say send her. You’ve spoken about her anxiety. I think she’ll do well. If not, send her to talk to a therapist. Just don’t put her on drugs. The only way she’s going to overcome her anxiety is by spreading her wings and learning confidence.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-06-2020, 04:56 AM
Diaper Jockey

In the funniest political ad to date....To a back drop of John Cougar Mellencamp singing his song "Small Town".....Michael Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York City, "Knows a thing or two about Small Towns!"

In other news....The Village President of Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin is advising Tokyo on how best to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 02-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

It never fails to amaze me how politicians lack scruples and that celebrities help them serve people tripe and call it filet mignon. People lap it up though.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Diaper Jockey

Politics has just become "reality" TV programming. Been that way for a long time. There's no difference between CNN and E!. Got everything. Sex scandals, bribery, who's dissin' who, power struggles, conspiracy. Wednesday evening already, after the impeachment acquittal, it was "What's the Democrats next move to remove Donald Trump?" How about win the election? Nope. Not giving up on impeachment. Might start it all over with testimony from John Bolton. Problem for them is, and I think they see the writing on the wall, that their non-stop investigations, impeachment, etc., aren't really playing all that well with the public and Trump's approval rating is higher than Clinton, Bush, or Obama at this point in their reelection years, all of whom were reelected with relative ease.

Gonna be an interesting, and comical, 9 months!

Red Smith
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 PM
Diaper Jockey

Didn't want to start an NBA thread in sports because I know there's not too many NBA fans around here. But....The Milwaukee Bucks are a juggernaut. I've been a Bucks fan since I was a young-Buck (pun intended) watching the Don Nelson teams of the 80s. So someone asked me the other day, "You must be loving this!" Great to see them doing well, but they're not that fun to watch. They're 44-7 right now and blowing teams out by 25 points+. The Sixers were supposed to be some of their best competition in the East and they beat them by 11 last night.

Will be cool if they're going for a 70 win season, will watch all those games, and certainly once the playoffs start. But for now, not really watching a whole lot which for me is a departure from the norm for me. Used to watch every game.
I don't have tune in to watch them beat the Cavs by 45.

Red Smith
Old 02-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Politics has just become "reality" TV programming. Been that way for a long time. There's no difference between CNN and E!. Got everything. Sex scandals, bribery, who's dissin' who, power struggles, conspiracy. Wednesday evening already, after the impeachment acquittal, it was "What's the Democrats next move to remove Donald Trump?" How about win the election? Nope. Not giving up on impeachment. Might start it all over with testimony from John Bolton. Problem for them is, and I think they see the writing on the wall, that their non-stop investigations, impeachment, etc., aren't really playing all that well with the public and Trump's approval rating is higher than Clinton, Bush, or Obama at this point in their reelection years, all of whom were reelected with relative ease.

Gonna be an interesting, and comical, 9 months!
There's a saying: "politics is show business for ugly people."
Old 02-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I found a home video taken on my old ship from back in the day. It was actually about a year before I came aboard. It was taken during "work ups" off the east coast. Back then we still had the F-14 and the Hornet hadn't quite entered the fleet; a lot of those birds were holdovers from the 60s.

https://youtu.be/NYpIeHdm018

Boredom was a big part of life then, even with all that noise. I worked in the hangar deck but would try to get up on the flight deck or Vultures Row whenever I could. I also got to go below decks into the engineering spaces too.

It's hard to believe the ship is gone; they scrapped it a few years ago. It was 50 years old by then.