Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Budget crunch, guys. I could get away with $60 for the "smoker" and the stuff. It'll get us through the next couple months and then I can look at getting an Egg or the smoker configuration I really want. There isn't any temperature control, but it's maintained 250F all day. Before moving into the house, my wife wanted to get a bigger one, maybe even an imitation Egg at Menards for about 80% of what an Egg would run us up in Indy. That didn't seem like a good choice and now until about mid November, we're getting all the bill adjusted to the new pay cycle and mortgage. So large purchases are out until about January. We're paying taxes on consolidation loans taken years ago on the old 401k until then.

As for the smoker.

What sucks:
It doesn't have a wood bin, so the wood gets burned up quick.
It's impossible to reload. The instructions read like someone watched the sales demo and then wrote the manual a week later, without notes. What they say to do is physically impossible.
There isn't any temperature control. The liquid's boiling all the time, but the gaps around the side door let a lot of heat out, which really is a good thing. I've actually been impressed with how it's maintained temperature all day. But I can't change it from 250+/-.
The liquid needs refilled every 2 hours. I read this in the manual and thought it was being conservative. But since the water dish is so close to the coals, it's boiling off fast. They should have put in a fixture for a garden hose!
It'll have taken a whole bag of Kingsford to run this rig for 24 hours.

What's nice is that I have a smoker, I'm finally smoking one of the shoulder's we've took with us across the state and it's going to be great. The shoulder would have cost $85 had it not been part of the CSA ($3.25/lb + $.75 to the butcher), so had we abandoned using the shoulder this time, we'd come close to what we paid for the smoker to do hot dogs and burgers and we'd have had to buy a grill, still. But just even using it just through the winter will be nice, no matter how aggravating.

The brisket turned out great. Much better than I'd done before. I did end up taking it out early and letting it coast in the oven. It would have been better had I taken the point off before cutting it. I just forgot. Made for a couple chewy bites, but the flat was great.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Cleaner upper

If you have a Weber kettle, etc.
http://pitmasteriq.com/
Old 10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
It's beer:30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn74 View Post
It would have been better had I taken the point off before cutting it. I just forgot. Made for a couple chewy bites, but the flat was great.
Chop up those burnt/crusty pieces and throw them in some baked beans.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:15 AM
rmchone

I have a brinkmanship smoke and grill. Used it twice uses lots of "fuel" but does good. I only worry about the water pan during the first run once it's out it's out. also put the legs on opposite so they are on the outside so I can lift the whole smoker of the charcoal pan which I have on pavers to reload. Search your smoker bran and modifications and you will get lots of options
Old 10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I quit smoking a year and a half ago. After 30 years, 10 of them trying to quit.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I quit smoking a year and a half ago. After 30 years, 10 of them trying to quit.
Buy an EGG. It will last you a lifetime of smoking. Smoke every day if you wish.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.