Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Trophy Husband

A friend of ours would make his own pasta when we would go over for dinner. Fettuccine. It was very good. Also, it was VERY heavy and when he was done the kitchen was VERY messy.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
Mog, share your recipe.

Hock, we are big fans of allrecipes too. Don't know why we didn't look there before...
T, the link hock posted is the one I found. I use allrecipes all the time and will generally look there first for them. The recipe is simple enough it seems.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Dad in Training

I've made our own. I guess it depends on the recipe but it isn't as hard as it seems, or looks. I really enjoy the part about beating the shit out of the dough and throwing the ball of dough against the countertop - a good way to vent frustration. LOL!!!!

We have a pasta maker that we received as a wedding gift, it's small and just clamps to the counter top. As someone already mentioned, run the pasta through the press to thin it and then run it through whatever cut you want, it worked really well. I, as well, run the dough through the press a couple of times before moving to a smaller size. When you run it through the press, you'll need to keep dividing it, for obvious reasons. I was pleased with how easy it actually was in the end. It's not hard, just time consuming (as all good things seem to be).

I know the first time I made spaghetti I thought this is never going to work or stay together in the pot, but it does. I've learned to just roll it up (like a birds nest) as it comes out of the cutter as then it's easier to transfer from the counter to the pot to prevent it from breaking from hanging down.

One thing to remember, fresh pasta cooks much faster than the bought dried pasta, so do keep an eye on it to avoid over cooking. With some recipes 3 minutes is long enough. The recipe should tell you how long to cook it. Depending on how you like your pasta, I find that a minute one way or the other will make a huge difference, so if it's almost to where you like it, don't leave it in for 2 minutes as it will be too long and it will be past the point of your preferred firmness or "al dente".

This is a good reminder that I haven't made it for awhile. My 4 yo would love making this with me . . . . . hmmmmm. . . . I think we may have a change of supper plans.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

QV, I've read that people recommend drying the pasta for 15-20 minutes also. Not to the point that it is flaky. If you try to boil it right away it might be too soggy. Do you dry yours for a little bit or throw right into boiling water? What have you found works best when you have made it?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Ramsey dried so I'd dry.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Clueless, but charming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Ramsey dried so I'd dry.
Ramsey' s a tool, so:
1) I'm not surprised you like him
2) Well, yeah, I'd let it dry briefly, too

Oh, and Mogwai, Cook's Illustrated (May/June 2012) has an article on homemade pasta, done with a food processor, rolling pin and knife. I'm sure you could adapt an eggless recipe to this method, if you can't figure out how, just ask Hock how Ramsey'd do it. Tool.

Last edited by taoistfrog; 04-13-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I'll edit my shit if I want.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoistfrog View Post
Ramsey' s a tool, so:
1) I'm not surprised you like him
2) Well, yeah, I'd let it dry briefly, too

Oh, and Mogwai, Cook's Illustrated (May/June 2012) has an article on homemade pasta, done with a food processor, rolling pin and knife. I'm sure you could adapt an eggless recipe to this method, if you can't figure out how, just ask Hock how Ramsey'd do it. Tool.
What? He's great. He's smug and funny. Love it.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai dad View Post
QV, I've read that people recommend drying the pasta for 15-20 minutes also. Not to the point that it is flaky. If you try to boil it right away it might be too soggy. Do you dry yours for a little bit or throw right into boiling water? What have you found works best when you have made it?
I was trying to find the recipe that I use, but can't. Ugh!!!! I know it was a basil spaghetti that I made. I found that I didn't need to let it dry; as I roll it in the sheets first, so it dries somewhat that way while it waits for the others to be rolled and to be cut. And then when I put it through the cutter I usually set the pile aside while I do the others; as I put all the pasta in at the same time. So again, more drying time. I find with the order I do it, it's usually dry enough and I really don't have to wait for the 15 - 20 minutes. Depending on the size of your pasta, I think 20 minutes would be too long for spaghetti; as it would start to dry and get quite flaky. I find that by the time I've done everything and get it in the pot; it's already had the drying time that it needs.

Youtube has lots of video clips and suggestions as well, which I'm sure you've already watched many. It's fun to make, so enjoy it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
What? He's great. He's smug and funny. Love it.
Well you and he are smug. You're not funny though.

Just kidding son, you're alright with me. Screw the Frog.