Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Trophy Husband

Nats sign Strasbugh to 7 years $245.000,000.00! Mr. Cole just got a whole lot more expensive! I hope the Yanks do something REALLY stupid.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Diaper Jockey

Kind of glad to see Strasburg stay put. This contract should essentially make him a career National. Don't see that a lot anymore.

As always the Brewers need starting pitching, but who doesn't. Casey Stern on MLB Network Radio always rips on the Brewers for not doing more, but what are they supposed to do? They made and offer two years ago to Yu Darvish and signed in Chicago for more $$$. Dodged a bullet there. His first year with the Cubs was a disaster. Bounced back a little last year but based on what they're paying him, still a big disappointment. Could they afford a 6 year, $126M contract. Probably. But what they can't afford is for that contract to be unproductive. Can't have $21M on the DL or going 6-8 with a 4 ERA.

Look at the free agent starters left...Bumgarner, Keuchel, Ryu, etc., all 30+ years old and will all get in the neighborhood of 5 years, $100M. Can't do it!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 12-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Trophy Husband

Small market teams have it rough for sure GBDad. The Yanks are paying Elisbury 26 million to go away this year after paying Arod 125 million to do the same a couple of years ago. Those mistakes would crush a lot of organizations.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Nats sign Strasbugh to 7 years $245.000,000.00! Mr. Cole just got a whole lot more expensive! I hope the Yanks do something REALLY stupid.

DONE AND DONE! Cole gets 9 years and 300 plus million.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
DONE AND DONE! Cole gets 9 years and 300 plus million.
Ya beat me to it! $324M is what's being reported. $36M per.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 12-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Diaper Jockey

Tony 2-Bags to the Angels, 7 yrs $245M. You have to wonder when the Angels are going to stop looking to make a splash with BIG contracts and actually try to put together a winning team before they waste the prime years of the greatest player since Mickey Mantle. So they have Trout, Rendon, and an aging Pujols? Ohtani? Who knows what you'll get out of him on the mound. No support. No pitching. Lots of money committed but don't see how they compete against the Astros or the low-budget A's.

Red Smith
Old 12-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Trophy Husband

I am just glad Rendon is out of the Mers division.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 PM
Diaper Jockey

Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees are interested in trading for Josh Hader. I am not opposed to this one bit. Entering his arbitration years as one of the best relievers in baseball even his arbitration years are going to approach cost prohibitive for the Brewers. Most relievers also seem to have a shelf life. Still think Hader is better in the 7th and 8th than as a closer so he'd fit right in with the Yankees who have Chapman in the 9th.

But....Back up the truck NYY!!! Need a top pitching prospect. Brewers need a 3rd Baseman....Gonna take Miguel Andujar, coming off injury, so bit of a risk. Need a bonafide major leaguer, for a bonafide major leauger, and ya know what, Brewers need a 1B too...might as well send Luke Voit.

Get Cashman and Stearns in a room and make it happen!

Red Smith

Last edited by GBDad; 12-12-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:02 AM
Trophy Husband

I can't stand that bow tie wearing, I never got picked for a team, Ken Rosenthal. He is the MLB's answer to the NHL's Stan Fischler. And Voit aint all that.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Diaper Jockey

Yankees introduced a clean shaven Garrit Cole today. Harold Reynolds told a good story the other day about the Yankees grooming policy. Forget the player, but a newly signed free agent when George Steinbrenner was still around, was told to cut his shoulder length hair. The player said, "Every portrait I've ever seen of Jesus he has hair as long as mine." Steinbrenner takes him over to the window of his office and points to the river. "When you can walk across that you can wear your hair however you want."

Boom!

Red Smith