Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Why does MLB call it "The World Series?"
That's what I'd like to see. The national champs play a team like say , JAPAN, and get schooled.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Diaper Jockey

MLB is completely barking up the wrong tree on all of these efforts to so called attract younger people to the game. And it all comes down to national TV ratings. Ballpark attendance is at a record high. Local TV ratings are at a record high. But baseball is not football. It's played every single day. The casual fan will flip on the local team and catch a few innings before bed but for the most part is content getting updates, highlights, and scores on his/her phone because there's another game tomorrow. Football is played once a week with families, neighbors, fantasy leagues, and complete strangers at bars, getting together every week. And once the home team is done, millions continue watching to see how their fantasy players do. It's different you morons (MLB Execs)!

No "millennial" is all of the sudden going to become a Mets fan because the game is on Facebook. Meanwhile, you alienate many of your die-hard fans who carved out a portion of their day to tune into the game only to find the only way to watch it is if you have a Facebook account. Contrary to popular belief, NOT EVERYBODY HAS FACEBOOK! Further restricting access to live games - MLB.TV and Extra Innings is a joke if you live in about 2/3 of the country. When I lived in Iowa I was in a "local market blackout" of the Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals, Twins, and Brewers. Essentially 12 teams, the team blacked out and the team they're playing, every single day that you can't watch. Playoff ratings are down? No shit. Every game is on cable. While football has the most free access to their game of any major sport, baseball has by far the least. Even if I don't have NFL Sunday Ticket, I can watch football from noon to midnight every Sunday for free! How much free baseball is there per week?
One game of the week on Fox on Saturday. And half the time it's blacked out.
Maybe that's part of the problem Manfred!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith

Last edited by GBDad; 04-05-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Why does MLB call it "The World Series?"
That's what I'd like to see. The national champs play a team like say , JAPAN, and get schooled.
They play the World Baseball Classic every four years. Last year the USA beat Puerto Rico in the championship. Think Japan got upset fairly early on in the tournament.

As for the "World Series." I had heard, but later heard it disputed, so who knows, that the early iterations of the baseball championship were sponsored by the World Soap Company. Therefore, the "World's Series." When the company pulled it's sponsorship the name stuck as World Series.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 AM
New Daddy

Look on the bright side. At least with MLB, they do include at least one other non-US country. Lots of other sports like the NFL like to throw around the term "world champions" when a team doesn't exist in any other country.

That said though, at least with the NFL, I guarantee you no other non-US city is gonna beat an NFL team.

Dad jokes to help pass the day.

Last edited by GamerDadOfFour; 05-01-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Trophy Husband

GBDad, what is going on in your neck of the woods?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...q3U?li=BBnbfcL
Old 04-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Diaper Jockey

Yeah! Saw that! Seems like something from a movie I saw? Wes Mantooth done knocked Ron Burgundy out. "Baxter! Is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee!"

And that's not all from the the Brewers/Cubs series!

http://fox6now.com/2018/04/07/watch-...ers-cubs-game/

Which is why I haven't been to a Brewers/Cubs game in 15 years. Have a game in my ticket package this year though. As soon as tickets go on sale about half are bought up by Cubs fans complete with their big city arrogance and "Wrigley North" signs. Add to it Milwaukee's little brother complex (I'll admit it), some spillover from the Packers/Bears rivalry, and large amounts of Miller - you got a recipe for some ass-whooping!

I know it'll never get the publicity of Yankees/Red Sox, but this rivalry is no joke.

And Kwak! You might want to consider catching up to that Buccos bandwagon. 7-2 start. Up on the Cubs 5-2 right now.

Red Smith
Old 04-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Iím writing off baseball this year. Iím disgusted with the Pirates ownership and the revenue sharing among all the clubs in the league means that any money I spend goes in their pockets anyway. From what I hear the Pirates are having a great start to the year but I couldnít care less.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Diaper Jockey

They're pulling that Facebook crap for the Brewers/Cardinals game today. I guess I'll see the game on the radio!

Red Smith
Old 04-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Super Duper Daddy

LOL. Good thing I don't do Facebook either. Zuckerburg is as big of a crook as MLB IMO.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
LOL. Good thing I don't do Facebook either. Zuckerburg is as big of a crook as MLB IMO.
It was classic when somebody on the Hill in D.C. asked him yesterday if Zuckerburgh would tell him the name of the Hotel he stayed at the night before and he refused. What a little prick. The little prick had to sit on a booster seat during questioning yesterday. Ya think his wallet would have taken care of that!