Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Just Dad

Leaky toilet in the kids' bathroom. I replace just about everything except the wax ring and the porcelain. All together, I spent about $50. That included the pricey, slow-close toilet seat.

Everything runs quiet and works... no leaks!

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yesterday I painted some of the crown molding and trim where I could reach it. Afterward I went to therapy then met my elderly mother for lunch at the grocery store.

I called a plumber that my wife's uncle has used over the years and asked if he could install a tub for me. He said he would be OK with hooking up the plumbing and moving the new tub in position but he didn't want to take out the old tub. I said I was OK with that, but I'm thinking that that may be a dead end.

Meanwhile, I did some measuring and some shopping around on HomeDepot.com. I measured the alcove and it's a couple of inches shy of the standard 60" size. I know that tubs are mounted directly to the studs so I'm hoping that the thickness of the drywall makes up the difference. I won't know until I actually tear out the old tub though. It's sort of a Catch 22 situation.

Also, I'm kind of overwhelmed by the choices. I want to keep the costs down so I'm thinking of going with an acrylic tub.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, I don't blame the plumber for not wanting to take the old tub out. I pulled one out years ago. Tough job because like you said they are nailed directly to the studs. Wiggling out the tub is a PIA. I had to bend it in places to get it loose enough to turn and remove. The ceramic coating crackling all the way. A 2 man job for sure. The fiberglass unit I replaced it with was much easier to deal with. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak, I don't blame the plumber for not wanting to take the old tub out. I pulled one out years ago. Tough job because like you said they are nailed directly to the studs. Wiggling out the tub is a PIA. I had to bend it in places to get it loose enough to turn and remove. The ceramic coating crackling all the way. A 2 man job for sure. The fiberglass unit I replaced it with was much easier to deal with. Good luck.
Thanks, Mark.

FWIW I believe the old tub is fiberglass as well, if not acrylic. As for getting it out in one piece, it ain't gonna happen; it's a single piece tub/shower stall that was likely installed before the drywall throughout the house. I'm going to have to cut it up in pieces - which should be a messy but satisfying experience! All the drywall in the alcove is going to have to go too anyway.

As for what's going to go in, I'm looking at just picking up a $260 acrylic tub from Home Depot. This one looks like it should be easy enough for the guy to install.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Trophy Husband

Got it Kwak. I thought you were installing a new Fiberglass/acrylic surround in place of an older tub. That is what I did years ago. The one I installed came in 4 pieces. Tub, Back wall and two end walls. Very few watertight seams and one person could install it. I used a plumber for the install.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Thanks, Mark.

FWIW I believe the old tub is fiberglass as well, if not acrylic. As for getting it out in one piece, it ain't gonna happen; it's a single piece tub/shower stall that was likely installed before the drywall throughout the house. I'm going to have to cut it up in pieces - which should be a messy but satisfying experience! All the drywall in the alcove is going to have to go too anyway.

As for what's going to go in, I'm looking at just picking up a $260 acrylic tub from Home Depot. This one looks like it should be easy enough for the guy to install.
Get out the sawzall!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
Get out the sawzall!

Easy big fella! Ya never know what is lurking in walls. This sounds like a perfect job for a battery operated circular saw with the blade set at a very shallow depth.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Easy big fella! Ya never know what is lurking in walls. This sounds like a perfect job for a battery operated circular saw with the blade set at a very shallow depth.
I agree: shallow angle only - and turn the water off too! I need to get one of those drain-puller tools.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I agree: shallow angle only - and turn the water off too! I need to get one of those drain-puller tools.
Bah! You guys need to live on the edge haha
Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Just Dad

Sounds like a great excuse to buy tools! A new oscillating saw, maybe?

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati