Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #571  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM
TwoCubs's Avatar
TwoCubs TwoCubs is offline
Just Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,708
Default

Leaky toilet in the kids' bathroom. I replace just about everything except the wax ring and the porcelain. All together, I spent about $50. That included the pricey, slow-close toilet seat.

Everything runs quiet and works... no leaks!
__________________
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more -- Shakespeare, Henry V

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Reply With Quote
  #572  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 10,819
Default

Yesterday I painted some of the crown molding and trim where I could reach it. Afterward I went to therapy then met my elderly mother for lunch at the grocery store.

I called a plumber that my wife's uncle has used over the years and asked if he could install a tub for me. He said he would be OK with hooking up the plumbing and moving the new tub in position but he didn't want to take out the old tub. I said I was OK with that, but I'm thinking that that may be a dead end.

Meanwhile, I did some measuring and some shopping around on HomeDepot.com. I measured the alcove and it's a couple of inches shy of the standard 60" size. I know that tubs are mounted directly to the studs so I'm hoping that the thickness of the drywall makes up the difference. I won't know until I actually tear out the old tub though. It's sort of a Catch 22 situation.

Also, I'm kind of overwhelmed by the choices. I want to keep the costs down so I'm thinking of going with an acrylic tub.
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Mark B.'s Avatar
Mark B. Mark B. is offline
Trophy Husband
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Connecticant
Posts: 17,643
Default

Kwak, I don't blame the plumber for not wanting to take the old tub out. I pulled one out years ago. Tough job because like you said they are nailed directly to the studs. Wiggling out the tub is a PIA. I had to bend it in places to get it loose enough to turn and remove. The ceramic coating crackling all the way. A 2 man job for sure. The fiberglass unit I replaced it with was much easier to deal with. Good luck.
__________________
Sent From My PC or My 4G Droid With Best In Breed Voice Recognition Software!
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 10,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak, I don't blame the plumber for not wanting to take the old tub out. I pulled one out years ago. Tough job because like you said they are nailed directly to the studs. Wiggling out the tub is a PIA. I had to bend it in places to get it loose enough to turn and remove. The ceramic coating crackling all the way. A 2 man job for sure. The fiberglass unit I replaced it with was much easier to deal with. Good luck.
Thanks, Mark.

FWIW I believe the old tub is fiberglass as well, if not acrylic. As for getting it out in one piece, it ain't gonna happen; it's a single piece tub/shower stall that was likely installed before the drywall throughout the house. I'm going to have to cut it up in pieces - which should be a messy but satisfying experience! All the drywall in the alcove is going to have to go too anyway.

As for what's going to go in, I'm looking at just picking up a $260 acrylic tub from Home Depot. This one looks like it should be easy enough for the guy to install.
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Mark B.'s Avatar
Mark B. Mark B. is offline
Trophy Husband
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Connecticant
Posts: 17,643
Default

Got it Kwak. I thought you were installing a new Fiberglass/acrylic surround in place of an older tub. That is what I did years ago. The one I installed came in 4 pieces. Tub, Back wall and two end walls. Very few watertight seams and one person could install it. I used a plumber for the install.
__________________
Sent From My PC or My 4G Droid With Best In Breed Voice Recognition Software!
Reply With Quote
  #576  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Captain Tuttle's Avatar
Captain Tuttle Captain Tuttle is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Main Line
Posts: 9,596
Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Thanks, Mark.

FWIW I believe the old tub is fiberglass as well, if not acrylic. As for getting it out in one piece, it ain't gonna happen; it's a single piece tub/shower stall that was likely installed before the drywall throughout the house. I'm going to have to cut it up in pieces - which should be a messy but satisfying experience! All the drywall in the alcove is going to have to go too anyway.

As for what's going to go in, I'm looking at just picking up a $260 acrylic tub from Home Depot. This one looks like it should be easy enough for the guy to install.
Get out the sawzall!
Reply With Quote
  #577  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Mark B.'s Avatar
Mark B. Mark B. is offline
Trophy Husband
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Connecticant
Posts: 17,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
Get out the sawzall!

Easy big fella! Ya never know what is lurking in walls. This sounds like a perfect job for a battery operated circular saw with the blade set at a very shallow depth.
__________________
Sent From My PC or My 4G Droid With Best In Breed Voice Recognition Software!
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 02-09-2019, 03:25 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 10,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Easy big fella! Ya never know what is lurking in walls. This sounds like a perfect job for a battery operated circular saw with the blade set at a very shallow depth.
I agree: shallow angle only - and turn the water off too! I need to get one of those drain-puller tools.
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Captain Tuttle's Avatar
Captain Tuttle Captain Tuttle is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Main Line
Posts: 9,596
Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Easy big fella! Ya never know what is lurking in walls. This sounds like a perfect job for a battery operated circular saw with the blade set at a very shallow depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I agree: shallow angle only - and turn the water off too! I need to get one of those drain-puller tools.
Bah! You guys need to live on the edge haha
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:15 PM
TwoCubs's Avatar
TwoCubs TwoCubs is offline
Just Dad
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,708
Default

Sounds like a great excuse to buy tools! A new oscillating saw, maybe?
__________________
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more -- Shakespeare, Henry V

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.