Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Game Lounge > Xbox/Wii/PC
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Disney Kinect

Have any of you DOG's tried this? Did your kids seem to enjoy it? How intuitive are the interactions?

As you know we were recently at Disney World and both my kids loved it. So much so that they're still not sick of watching videos of the park. I'm wondering if they'd enjoy this - particularly my autistic son. I'm particularly interested because my autistic son really opened up while there and loves to "explore" (aka he's a wanderer) and I'm wondering if this is something that will hold his interest? At $15 I'm willing to take that gamble.

He's also an extreme "flapper" and has never really interacted with the Kinect - though he's gotten pretty adept with the iPad/iPhone and even on the PC w/ mouse. I envision that the sensor is going to have his avatar doing some whacky stuff. I wonder how he would interpret that since a lot of Justin's movements seem to be involuntary.

With hope possibly his younger brother could assist him but my concern is that this could be overstimulating - which sometimes triggers aggressive behaviors against people/tall objects in close proximity. Still, there are times when the two of them play wonderfully together and have even shown cooperative play. It'd really be great since this is a 2 player game which doesn't appear to require turn taking.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

We're borrowing it from my inlaws this evening, I'll let ya know!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

It's alright, we had it but the kids were kind of bored with it quickly. Traded it in.

Kinect has helped my boy though. He has trouble knowing where his body is in space, if that makes sense. Him using Kinect has helped him make those connections.

Check to see if there's a demo on Live before you pull thr trigger, see if they like that.

Edit: Yep, there's a demo
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...9c1?nosplash=1

Try that first
Old 01-19-2014, 02:52 AM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

First blush, the disney game uses all hands to move and interact with characters. I think flapping would throw it for a loop.
Kinect adventures, sports, or some of the others might be a better match. My 9yo was having troubles moving around and such.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:58 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, I dl'd the demo and it got my younger son into it. Justin was a little bit of a wallflower but only because the demo is very barebones; the main part where you walk around the park is unavailable. He likes to watch other people play though; he's frequently entertained when Joey and I play wii Sports Resort. Anyway, I brought up some let's play videos of Disney Kinect on youtube and Justin seemed to really like the parts where you basically wander around the park and ride the odd outdoor ride. Joey seemed to enjoy the It's a Small World game but it's nothing like the ride (it's just a dance off really) so I suspect that Justin won't care for it, but I'd bet he'd like to be able to explore a large open space like that. The Space Mountain section looks really cool though; it's sort of a 3D version of the jetski part of wii Sports Resort which Joey loves.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

You may be right, t. I can't really find the words to adequately describe how hyperactive and impulsive he is. I'd be happy if he'd just sit and watch his brother play it.

Anyway, I picked it up used for $15. If they get bored of it I'll take it and BL1 in to pick up Kinect Sports 2.