Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 AM
Trophy Husband

Default Mlb 2017

I will kick this off with some great news for Mets fans!

http://nypost.com/2016/11/29/yoenis-...s-had-to-make/
Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Diaper Jockey

Never too early to start talking baseball!

He's a good fit for the Mets.....and I mean that in a good way, not in a smart-ass way. Lot of people around here are scratching their heads at the Brewers "big" move. DFA'd Chris Carter and signed Eric Thames to play 1B. Hasn't played in the big leagues since 2013, played last 3 seasons in Korea. Where he tore it up. But hitting 40 bombs in Korea is far different than doing it against big league pitching. In the end it doesn't matter. Milwaukee isn't looking to contend for at least another 3 years. Thames isn't the long term solution at 1B, and neither was Carter. And Thames comes a lot cheaper.

New CBA agreed upon last night. I like the 10 day DL. I know why there's a day requirement to eliminate teams playing fast and loose with guys who maybe need just a few days off - but want to fill the roster spot, but 15 always seemed excessive. The other big thing from the fan perspective is the All Star game no longer determining home field in the world series. Now goes to the pennant winner with the best record. (My understanding - if it's a pennant winner and a wild card, it goes to the pennant winner regardless of record). Probably the way it should be. The whole fiasco over the 2002 tie was blown way out of proportion in my opinion. So the hell what?! An exhibition game ended in a tie. I'm sure all fans would like to see their All Star closer go 8 innings in extra frames to ensure there's no tie in a mean nothing game. At the same time, growing up following a team that never makes the playoffs, the highlight of my baseball season as a kid was seeing my Brewers player in the ASG - so all players should play in my opinion. The whole tie thing leading to the "this time it counts" ASG was much ado about nothing in my opinion. But there was a whole hell of a lot of people out there absolutely appalled that a mean nothing game could end in a tie. Guess what, they weren't happy with the game deciding home field in the WS, and they probably aren't happy with this new way. Some people are impossible to please.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Things are not happy in Pirates Land. There might as well be TWO - or maybe even THREE - seasons: before the All Star Break, after the All Star Break and after the trade deadline. Some would say that certain players presently on the Pirates squad were playing four and treating the first month as an extension of the Grapefruit League.

Ever since closer Mark Melancon was traded to the Nats at the deadline the wind went out of the sails of the ol' Jolly Roger. Now the man is going elsewhere and getting PAID, $omething that wa$n't going to happen in small market like Pittsburgh with a historically miserly ownership group. Meanwhile, Pirates GM Neil Huntington seems to think that he can continue to do the dance around arbitration much less free agency. It seems like every 2 years there's a new closer who is "upgraded" from being a reliever and they evaluate washed up starters to enter the bullpen.

Meanwhile, the cupboard in the starting rotation is becoming VERY thin and is likely foremost on the mind of the Pirates GM Neil Huntington - along with a CF who can run around all that real estate to counter an inexperienced pitcher who pitches to contact instead of having a variety of different pitches and a mastery of control to pool from in order to fool hitters. The one thing they DID do right was to finally show Jeff Locke the door. Hopefully he shows up on the Cubs roster.

I'm not even going to entertain the thought of prospects coming up, since the Pirates farm system has this unsettling history aggressively marketing them to a fan base who is STARVING for something the root for. Yet it's YEARS before fans even get a taste and I often wonder if ownership is just looking to pad the coffers in Weirton, WV; Altoona, PA; and Indianapolis, IN. Call me jaded, but even when they finally DO call up talent it seems to be too soon. The names Alvarez, Polonco and Bell come to mind.

The big news around centers around CF Andrew McCutchen. Fans see him as the savior of the Bucs and is a several time MVP as recently as 2014. OTOH had a down year last year and it was the second year where he started the season in a slump. In 2016 he never seemed to get out of it, leading to the belief by TPTB in the Pirates front office that while at 30 he may be washed up it may be time to start shopping him in order to "invest in the future" - a term that makes Pirates fans nauseated. As of today, the Nats have been tugging at the hook the hardest but the Pirates' asking price has been too high for them to concede. Other teams reportedly in talks with them are SF, LAD, STL - and a "secret" team. I feel may that last one might either be division rivals Chicago Cubs or the Royals trying to lay low after the Pirates fan community (myself included) balked openly and loudly with "you've got to be F***ING KIDDING ME" since they are in the Pirates' division.

I can only imagine what McCutchen must thing of this whole thing. I can be reasonably be sure that if he remains a Pirate after all of this that he is not motivated to remain the "face of the franchise" with the personal goal that he has better numbers this year if for the only reason that he needs to keep his value up for when he becomes a free agent in two years. OTOH if he IS traded then I expect him to have a MAGICAL increase. Look at Juan Batista and Mark Melancon. Pay no mind to Neil Walker or Pedro Alvarez though.

Jung Ho Kang is money on the field - and in light of recent trades pretty much the only significant power hitter on the team - but he's got real troubles off the field. A couple of years ago he was involved in an alleged rape by a woman in Chicago and that investigation is still underway but likely to be dropped since the plaintiff has supposedly disappeared - either literally or figuratively I'm not sure. This last week he was cited for a DUI in his native Korea which involved a hit an run - which only involved a road divider, thank God. When the news hit the talking heads here in Pittsburgh were only slightly distracted by the McCutchen debate. What really stirred up the pot was that this was Kang's THIRD DUI in Korea and has had his license revoked. His fans in Korea reportedly are being VERY critical of him. The word "pariah" has been used in sportscasts here in Pittsburgh. What's raising my eyebrows is that the Pirates did not even know about the other two DUIs, which has me questioning their Due Diligence with regards to scouting - especially since they paid million$ to even talk to him much less sign him - at age 28 I might add. Word is that there's a poll out there asking people if the Pirates should cut him loose over this. 40% of those polled say yes.

So to summarize, Pirates fans are irate and Pirates Fest at the Lawrence Convention Center are likely not going to be coming in droves to express their adoration for the remaining players and ownership and the GM who has expressed that they're "weighing all options for the future" while hoping to "remain to be competitive "in the present.

Pfft!

I'm currently shopping for a different baseball team to root for. It might very well be the Gnats. I could certainly see a weekend trip to DC to see more than just the cherry blossoms.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 12-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post

New CBA agreed upon last night. I like the 10 day DL. I know why there's a day requirement to eliminate teams playing fast and loose with guys who maybe need just a few days off - but want to fill the roster spot, but 15 always seemed excessive. The other big thing from the fan perspective is the All Star game no longer determining home field in the world series. Now goes to the pennant winner with the best record. (My understanding - if it's a pennant winner and a wild card, it goes to the pennant winner regardless of record). Probably the way it should be. The whole fiasco over the 2002 tie was blown way out of proportion in my opinion. So the hell what?! An exhibition game ended in a tie. I'm sure all fans would like to see their All Star closer go 8 innings in extra frames to ensure there's no tie in a mean nothing game. At the same time, growing up following a team that never makes the playoffs, the highlight of my baseball season as a kid was seeing my Brewers player in the ASG - so all players should play in my opinion. The whole tie thing leading to the "this time it counts" ASG was much ado about nothing in my opinion. But there was a whole hell of a lot of people out there absolutely appalled that a mean nothing game could end in a tie. Guess what, they weren't happy with the game deciding home field in the WS, and they probably aren't happy with this new way. Some people are impossible to please.
I've never liked the idea of an All Star game in ANY sport - particularly in the MLB or NHL when it falls in the middle of the season and is touted to be other than what it really is: a distraction from the regular season; a halftime show. Even worse though is the NFL's version of that type of festivities that happens at the end of the season when most invitees are nursing injuries or about to get surgery and essentially not in their best shape.

What I'd really like to see - and I don't see this happening - is that they have the All Star Game in April at the end of the Grapefruit league. That way players who won fan voting the previous year would be able to nurse their injuries and get back into shape after the conditioning regiment of spring training. Sure, teams that who weren't contenders would be underrepresented but at least the draft would still be fresh in their fans' memories, right?

It all comes down to this: baseball is a business. Sure, so is the NFL and NHL - but those organizations also employ a salary cap where teams with smaller potential for revenue in "smaller" markets are equalized with the "bigger" teams and markets by the salary cap. In baseball, skill is measured more in dollar figures than even the Almighty Stats.

Sorry - I've been disenfranchised from baseball for a long time. The players strike is what did it for me - not because it suspended a season but that really it did not level the playing field at all. If anything, it actually empowered teams to become more aggressive with regards to trading players - thus inflating salaries and ehancing their abilities through various means best not looked at under a microscope. This is all just my opinion, but only in that I love the game because it was a big part of my youth - even if I happen to throw like a girl. Back then players were "heroes" not fantasy league playing pieces. Even finding out that many of those players turned out to be "flawed" human beings has not completely tarnished the sport in my eyes.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Diaper Jockey

The new Hall of Fame class will be announced next week. As always a lot of debate going on as to who belongs, "It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Pretty Good!" And the "Steroid Era" only muddies the water.

There used to be sure fire benchmarks that made one a hall of famer. 3,000 hits. 300 wins. 500 home runs. Holding significant all time records. Etc.

I'm a numbers guy. I think there needs to be some kind of objective measure and perhaps "The Eye Test" can be used to admit or deny a borderline player.

A couple years ago a player was inducted by the veterans committee and most people said it was a tragedy that it took so long for him to be inducted and that it had to come to the veterans committee. Meanwhile, a few years ago, may have been the same year, a sportswriter voted for a player and the vote was viewed as a throw away - many saying he should be stripped of his vote for voting for such an obviously unqualified player. Here are their stats:

Gms:2243 Hits:2254 2B:365 3B:67 HR:342 RBI:1331 SB:35 SO:1343 AVG:.277
Gms:2313 Hits:2326 2B:440 3B:42 HR:188 RBI:1153 SB:141 SO:839 AVG:.282

So one guy is more of a power guy. The other more of a contact guy. But ultimately the numbers are very similar. One is in the hall. The other even receiving a single vote was viewed as a joke - worthy of revoking the writers voting privileges. If I look at these players, I don't think either is a Hall of Famer. One is in and held in VERY high regard by fans, media, and baseball people; the other a pretty forgettable, albeit decent career. Neither played for a World Series winner.

Guess the larger point is - it's a popularity contest. Based on your market, media exposure, your persona/charisma as viewed by fans and media, are ultimately more important than the numbers.

Any guesses on the players?

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Trophy Husband

Not sure who those number belongs to GBDad.

As for location, location location being important for a player look at Derek Jeter. Great career. He will be steamrolled into the Hall Of Fame on his first vote. Craig Biggio has very similar numbers in a smaller market that did not have nearly the payroll year after year like the Yanks. He also played 3 different positions well in his career unlike Jeter. Biggio got in after 2-3 votes I believe.

Mets fans will always think of Derek Jeter as "Number 2!"
Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 AM
Diaper Jockey

Exactly. I'll throw you one more. Here's Jorge Posada's stats in those same categories.

Gms:1829 H:1664 2B:379 3B:10 HR:275 RBI:1065 SB:20 SO:1453 AVG:.273

In the neighborhood, but probably lesser, overall, than the other two players. I'm not sure Posada ever gets voted in, but......It wouldn't surprise me if he did. Already heard the arguments of he's a catcher so you can't expect the same stats, look at all the championships he was a part of, how he handled a pitching staff - basically "The Eye Test." Oh, and he plays in New York - moreover for the Yankees. Posada is on the ballot for the first time this year. No way he gets in this year but he'll get the requisite 5% to stay on the ballot and will get far more than the 1 vote the second player I listed got in 2010.

So the big reveal.........

Player 1: Ron Santo, Cubs, 3B
Player 2: B.J. Surhoff, Brewers/Orioles/Braves, C/3B/OF

While I do have a special place in my baseball heart for Surhoff, one of my favorite Brewers players growing up and the reason I started playing catcher when I got into little league and beyond, he's not a Hall of Famer.

Santo is in. Surhoff's candidacy was a joke. Santo hit more home runs. Surhoff had more hits and a higher average in almost identical numbers of games and at bats. So do home runs really make that much of a difference whether you're a hall of famer or not? No wonder guys were, and continue to juice.

All of these guys were "Pretty Good." But it's the "Hall of FAME!"

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith

Last edited by GBDad; 01-12-2017 at 02:53 AM.