Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
What happens to areas like that when you are done?
It's complicated.

My site consists of three separate quarries, Pit 1, Pit 2 and Pit 3. The three together make up the oldest continuously mined stone quarry in the US. Mining is finished in Pit 1 and Pit 2. Pit 1 was made a clean fill site, the quarry was filled up and houses were built on it

https://www.juddbuilders.com/PA/mont...-creekside.php
That's a division of our company btw

Pit 2 (where that blast was) is currently a clean fill operation and we're studying the best use of the land once the pit is filled in in 3-5 years.

Pit 3 is an active stone quarry with 25-60 years of stone reserves depending on the investment we want to make. Tentative plans are for a cleanfill operation (most of us would be dead before it would be filled) or a reservoir (we pump 13 million gallons of water a day out of the quarry into the Wissahickon Creek, we end up being the largest source of pure and untreated water for the City of Philadelphia).

The stone from that blast is being hauled to our crushing plant where it will be processed and most of it will end up in asphalt roads
Old 05-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Trophy Husband

That is totally cool Capt. The property gets cleaned up and put to use after. I watch Gold rush on the Discovery channel often and wonder what they do to the abandoned mines after they tear them up. Nobody is building subdivisions up there in Alaska.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Went to Home Depot and I got the faucet kits to stop the drips throughout the house. Good to just have them in my tool drawer. The master bath was the worst. Drip drip drip. All night long. Keep me awake.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Beach Daddy

Cleaned out the pool house and rearranged the garage. Was going to build a shed to help empty out the garage but my shed budget is now on hold after the orthodontists visit.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

I need to tear down our shed so we can put up a real one. Previous owners built this miniature long cabin-ish shed that is mostly just home to various critters now. There's a couple old toilets in it and some chicken wire (no idea why) just laying in it. We boarded the door up to it as it is a safety hazard and we don't want our kids or random neighborhood kids going in it. Unfortunately we're not going to do anything to it until we actually have the money to put something else up there. It's been sinking lower on the priority list as more things keep bubbling up.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Wrong thread but I'm still getting used to that laminate trimmer. It's not the same as using the Dremel. It keeps vibrating out of adjustment and screwed up a cut on me, causing me to Rage Quit on my ongoing project for the day.

I may not get to it today. My 17 year old cat is giving me some warning signs. I'm giving her some attention that I hope isn't hospice.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 06-07-2017, 01:55 AM
Trophy Husband

Planted 2 Japanese Maple trees ( they are 3-4 feet tall and were used as center pieces at a wedding I went to last week and were up for grabs after the party) , and installed the door casings in the gym project. God I love that Ryobi nailer.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:59 AM
Super Nice Dad

Damn you guys, I had to buy myself a birthday present, a Ryobi nailer, lol. I have to finish some trim work in the basement.

HockeySave.com
Old 06-07-2017, 10:36 AM
New Daddy

Sorting out the logistics prior flying to France for a few weeks, we rented an awesome villa. Looking forward to some quality time with the fam!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Just Dad

I finished sealing the vents under the crawl space of the house (another step toward encapsulation) yesterday. The humidity is already dropping significantly. Next, I'll need to wrap the support beams and the outer wall in plastic, when funds become available to purchase.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar