Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Very fortunate

Default salsa??

Any good HOT salsa's out there.I love it,can't get enough of it.My favorite brand(La Victoria's extra hot, mmmmm.) is being discontinued out my store...I have tried the chi chi'i,the tostitos(the restaurant style is good but not hot) and all other name brands,just curious what you guys like?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM
"Not Willsdad"

It's not hot, but Walmart makes a KILLER corn and black bean salsa. It's fantastic.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

There are a bunch of good ones at Trader Joes... But if you want the best make it FRESH yourself.

There are tons of great recipes out there. Look them up and see what type of thing looks good. I have made a bunch. This summer when the Peppers and Tomatoes come in cheap I will be canning my own. A little Habanero goes a long way! A friend has a TON of spicy pepper plants so I will be using many of his different varieties in my salsas.

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
It's beer:30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
It's not hot, but Walmart makes a KILLER corn and black bean salsa. It's fantastic.
Dude you just lost what little foodie-credibility you had. None, and I mean NONE of that prepared food-stuff at Walmart is any good. It's all horrible.

I've made a few attempts at fresh salsa - they were OK, not great. Nowadays I mostly just buy it from a local ethnic grocery. They make 4 or 5 different varieties fresh in the store. I have 2 of them in my fridge currently. Both are different salsa verdes, made mostly with tomatillos. Next time I go there I might have to poke around for some recipes. They are so friggin good you cant stop eating it.

Mopar Daddy makes a good chunky salsa. Particularly the "Cubfan Special" blend! It requires extra beer while eating.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
ScottyG

If your store has Herdez, it's pretty much the same as La Victoria. La Preferida is similar too. Not what I always buy, but sometimes I love 'em. Herdez tends to be too liquidy, but seriously delicious. Honestly, for hot salsa, I still tend to get the hot version of Pace Picante. Fairly cheap, and tasty.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Dude you just lost what little foodie-credibility you had. None, and I mean NONE of that prepared food-stuff at Walmart is any good. It's all horrible.

Mopar Daddy makes a good chunky salsa. Particularly the "Cubfan Special" blend! It requires extra beer while eating.
I heard about the "special" sauce he puts in there for you. LOL.

Don't knock it till you try it. I think they make it fresh in store. It's fantastic. Seriously. I was blown away. We use it on Quesadillas. So so good.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Always Irritated

Mopar's stuff he made at the first dadstock was really good, and I have to admit the sams club fresh salsa isn't bad, it's better than any of the fresh salsa's the local grocery stores sell.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 PM
It's beer:30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
If your store has Herdez, it's pretty much the same as La Victoria. La Preferida is similar too. Not what I always buy, but sometimes I love 'em. Herdez tends to be too liquidy, but seriously delicious. Honestly, for hot salsa, I still tend to get the hot version of Pace Picante. Fairly cheap, and tasty.
if you like the 'authentic' store-bought kind, try this. It's tasty and cheap, like $.89 a can. Herdez's version is pretty good too, but this brand is in all the stores around here.

FWIW, I cant eat any of that bottled crap like Pace. It tastes nothing like real salsa.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Very fortunate

My store stinks,it doesn't carry pace for some reason.My wife just brought home some local made stuff(well,its made in Punxsutawney about 30 min.away) .Going to give it a try.
I had some attemts at homemade,can't get the right ratio of stuff down.All i know is there is a thing as too much habanero
Yeah,i never tried pace, so IDK?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 PM
"Not Willsdad"

You guys who don't have a Walmart SUPERCENTER near them suck. This stuff is the cat's ass. Oh mama good. It's in a plastic container. Made fresh. Lots of cilantro and other yummy goodness. I fantasize about it.