Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Alpha Dog

Default Attempt at some weight loss.

I started walking around the lake and the neighborhood that I live in. Walked I think at least a couple miles and then came back home and did the same area with the mountain bike and pushed myself with the MB. Going to be a slow process with my lungs still sore from coughing so much. At least it is a start.
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029
Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Good for you. Remember diet is the biggest key. I don't do much of any exercise anymore aside from my weekly hockey. I really should do more...I know. Anyways, I don't pig out. I skip meals at times. Human body does not need alot to sustain life. Most people eat God awful amounts of food. That's why they are obese.

Eat good healthy foods, eat in moderation, do some exercise (like your walking and biking) and you will lose weight. Good for you for doing something about it. Sadly, most won't.

You a smoker?

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Alpha Dog

Ever since my doc told me I had diabetes last year. My diet has changed considerably. I don't pig out like I used to. Eating more salmon and turkey and chicken now also. Moved to using olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Everything now is in moderation. I can get more exercise using our pool, once it gets warm enough to where I don't freeze when I get in.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1DoG View Post
Ever since my doc told me I had diabetes last year. My diet has changed considerably. I don't pig out like I used to. Eating more salmon and turkey and chicken now also. Moved to using olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Everything now is in moderation. I can get more exercise using our pool, once it gets warm enough to where I don't freeze when I get in.
Sounds like you are on the right path. Moderation is always key. I weigh under 190 still and as I said. I don't do much exercise. Parking further out in the parking lot. It amazes me when I see people cruising back and fourth looking for a spot right next to the Walmart or whatever store. It's quite sad actually. People are just so flipping lazy. No wonder they have problems. I'll park in the back and be in the store long before them. Plus it gives me a bit more exercise, albeit pretty minimal. Better than none though.

You try eating sweeteners instead of sugar? I down many spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee every morning. I haven't got into eating them artificial ones yet. I've tried. Just bought some trouvia trvia or or whatever it is. Just not that good to me. I'm sure it's an acquired taste. I drink pop still, but have managed to be able to drink more diet options. I think that is good. Salmon and chicken and such are great. Throw in a salad too. I always use olive oil. Yum.

Hope you hit your goals.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Alpha Dog

If possible we use Truvia in whatever dessert my wife makes. Since I don't drink coffee or anything like that I am good. I have cut back on plenty of sugar. Truvia is worth it. Can't taste the difference and can be used to bake with. Oh and since I am a soda addict. When I was in my teens I could drink a 2 liter a day of soda. I started drinking Diet Dr Pepper and Caffiene Free Diet Dr Pepper. And my wife has gone on to rationing cans to me. So basically now I am starting to do a can or 2 a day which I think is decent. Anything else I drink is either water or Crystal Light.

Last edited by C1DoG; 01-26-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Yup. Me too. I drink about 1 can now. I used to drink 4. LOL. I even drink it at dinner and try not to drink the whole thing. Just 1/2 or so. That Dr. Pepper diet is good. I'll have to try truvia in baking or whatever. IT's pricey as all hell though.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Roddy

Pop is bad news, we skip that whole aisle at the grocery store.

That tip about walking whenever you can is a good one, I also try to run up stairs when I see them and eat lots of small meals.

Good luck C1Dog, my aunt has diabetes now too and she's making some big changes. http://weightloss-thejourney.blogspot.com/
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Alpha Dog

Thank you. What I am doing with the pop is trying to slowly get myself off of it and doing it slowly like that is the best way for me.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Cleaner upper

Cutting out pop was a big thing for me; almost like cigarette addiction. I only have 1-2 a week now, mostly if we eat out. I used to hit the Mountain Dew a couple times a day. I switched over to coffee to cut down on the sugar and even there I only have 1 maybe 2 cups per day.

I had a bit of a health scare yesterday. Took my daughter out sledding at the park. I jogged about the first 200 yards then had to trudge through some deeper snow. When we got over to the hill I couldn't seem to catch my breath. It felt like I couldn't get enough air in my lungs and had to keep myself from panicking. Scary shit.

I try to keep active int he winter and do half an hour on the rowing machine most every day, but this definitely points to me needing some serious cardio exercise. I have been looking into buying a treadmill or elliptical and am clearing a space in the basement for a workout area. I've dropped from 250 down to about 235, which is the same as I had done when I first started this gig nearly 3 years ago! At 6' I need to get down to at least 200.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Alpha Dog

Either one is good. I myself prefer a treadmill, less stress on my knees. Old injury from getting hit by a car when I was 5.