Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Daddy

Well, it's a new month, which means a new part to add. The leg workout still needs tweaking, but I'm doing something, which is more than the nothing I was doing. Finished March with 40 push-ups, 3 pullups and 4 chin-ups.

As for the new part...ARMS! The goal, size and strength together. My arms are about 2" skinnier than average, and definitely below average in strength. I'm tired of both. So, the whole deal - deltoids, triceps, biceps, forearms, maybe even include traps. I'd go for wrists and fingers too if I thought I could do something about that. I'm doing my own research, but I also welcome any feedback.

King of a blended family - Three girls (23, 23, 20), three boys (19, 8, 6) and four angels who didn't make it ^i^ ^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

The Perfect Pushup spinning disks designed by a Navy Seal. I got some, and the program worked. Quit using them when I got married. Can probably find at Walmart, Kmart Target, or Amazon(use Dons DSH link). Comes with a work out chart. That can still be found downloadable on-line.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSr View Post
Well, it's a new month, which means a new part to add. The leg workout still needs tweaking, but I'm doing something, which is more than the nothing I was doing. Finished March with 40 push-ups, 3 pullups and 4 chin-ups.

As for the new part...ARMS! The goal, size and strength together. My arms are about 2" skinnier than average, and definitely below average in strength. I'm tired of both. So, the whole deal - deltoids, triceps, biceps, forearms, maybe even include traps. I'd go for wrists and fingers too if I thought I could do something about that. I'm doing my own research, but I also welcome any feedback.
Nice. Progress is addicting.

For arms, honestly just keep doing pullup and pushup variations. Your arms will grow. Compound movements and exercises will always trump muscle isolation. Also, if you want to grow, make sure your rep range stays between 8 and 12.

You might want to try some static holds and gymnastics workouts if your current workout isn't rigorous enough. For instance, handstand pushups will absolutely cook your deltoids.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Daddy

Well who'd have thought? I discovered a pretty rigorous full body workout this weekend during the sunny weather. Yard work! Trimming down a bush that was way overdue, moving a crapload of bricks, all that stuff.

King of a blended family - Three girls (23, 23, 20), three boys (19, 8, 6) and four angels who didn't make it ^i^ ^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Daddy

Been a while, but up to 50 push-ups now. Unfortunately, between a sinus/throat infection and allergies my breathing has sucked, so for now I have to break it up into two sets of 25 and haven't been able to increase.

Also trying to see what the best things are to do nutritionally to help build up faster. It's harder to do at almost 40, I'm sure, but even an almost 40 year old should be able to find a way to bulk up his arms and legs to, I don't know, average size.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Daddy

Anything more than 12 reps requires endurance more than strength. Have you tried modifying your push ups so you can do no more than 8?

Also, what are your goals? Strength? Size? Weight? Appearance?
It would be easier to work out of a plateau (and you WILL plateau) if your goals are clearly defined.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Daddy

I definitely need the whole kit and caboodle, endurance to be able to get more done, strength to not embarrass myself when doing something that requires lifting, and size just to look better.

I'm not all that concerned with the perfectly chiseled look, as I get definition pretty easily anyway.

So to sum it up, I want a combination of increased size, strength and endurance.

My arms are currently 12.5" unflexed, 10.5" at the forearm. I'd like at least 2 more inches on the upper arm and 1 on the forearms.

I'd like to be able to bench my own weight, 165 now but hopefully more as I gain. I can probably do half that now. Not having a bench, a barbell or a partner I'm not embarrassed to work out in front of (Sean, 15, is totally shredded and makes me want to go back in time and slap 15 year old me so hard I'll still feel it now), that's a little hard to work on. I also don't have a leg press machine, but I need to add some serious size and strength there. I've heard at least 2-2.5x one's body weight is a pretty decent leg press. I don't even know if I can honestly do 1x.

Also, is almost 40 too late to start talking flexibility?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
Daddy

This is the hardest thing. We all want to have everything and fast. I'd love to have drool-worthy body while being able to lift twice my body weight over my head while running a half marathon. It's a bit of an exaggeration, but having goals for size, strength, endurance, and flexibility will make it difficult to find a program that will allow for progression. Then we start to taper down our expectations evenly (I don't NEED a 6 pack, 1.5x instead of 2x my body weight will do, how about a 5k instead of a half marathon?).

It will help to prioritize your goals. For me, I made it strength. Everything else followed in consequence - I work on enough mobility to prevent injury, I've lost quite a bit of bodyfat from consistently working out, my cardio has gotten better, etc. But my only real goal was to get stronger each workout. Your goals certainly don't have to be strength, but if you stick to 1 and allow the other "sub-goals" to become consequences instead, you'll find it much easier to stick to.

Also, just throwing this out there - my long term goal is to stay fit enough so I can continue to play with (and protect) my daughter as she grows up. She gives me the most motivation.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Daddy

Makes sense. I recently started adding weight to body weight exercises by filling a backpack with books. It's amazing what a 20 lb bag on one's back can do. I don't think I was able to do 10 push-ups (wasn't counting) and did .8 of a pull up. I think strength is definitely highest priority right now, followed by size. I'm sick of the skinny arms and legs, but I'm more sick of what they can't do. For both of those, I know I'll need to incorporate more weight/resistance. I've been trying to increase my calories without breaking the bank too (not easy), and yesterday I weighed in at 170.5 naked, so I'm doing something right there.

Long term strength goal, feel free to laugh, but my wife and I never had a honeymoon. She's a teacher, and we got married in February. We planned on doing one in the summer. Well she got pregnant in April, big time nausea all summer, way too sick to travel. We had another a couple years later. Youngest is 3 now, and we're thinking maybe 10th anniversary we can finally take that trip. 2007, I wasn't in any kind of shape to carry her, but I want to be able to in 2017. You know, carry her over the threshold before I take her in and carry her over the other threshold. I know based on the historical origins of that custom I'd technically be too late, but I don't believe in that anyway. I just wanna be that strong, manly man in my mind.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Daddy

^^^ Perfect.