Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Game Lounge
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Trophy Husband

Default Game Preordering

My 13 year old son wants to pre-order COD4 that is to come out in late October. I think it is ridiculous to lay out the money (his money) that early. Through Gamestop there is a $5 pre-order charge which I find even more ridiculous but he tells me he will get a 1 year subscription to the games updates included with that deal. Is it really worth it? Also, if he does not pre-order how long usually does it take for the game to be available to those who do not pre-order? Am I wrong in assuming there is a delay in regular sales to those who do not pre-order?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

In my limited experience, preordering gets you the swag attached to preordering. The $5 down is subtracted from the total price, it's just a down payment. They usually have plenty on hand for walk in sales, too, you just don't get the fun stuff.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
In my limited experience, preordering gets you the swag attached to preordering. The $5 down is subtracted from the total price, it's just a down payment. They usually have plenty on hand for walk in sales, too, you just don't get the fun stuff.
If it is only $5 down I will do it to get the boy off my back. He did not explain it that way. He is doing well in school and has been very good for the most part. Ironically he lost cell phone and gaming rights this week due to some potty mouth.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
SAHD to RN

Hopefully you'll wait to do the pre-order until his phone/gaming rights are restored....just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Ironically he lost cell phone and gaming rights this week due to some potty mouth.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

I preorder my games from amazon. There is no money down and you don't get charged. In most cases with amazon you get the swag and then some. I have prime and get release day delivery.

My local GameStop sucks so I avoid them unless I am looking for an old old used game.

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDaddy View Post
I preorder my games from amazon. There is no money down and you don't get charged. In most cases with amazon you get the swag and then some. I have prime and get release day delivery.

My local GameStop sucks so I avoid them unless I am looking for an old old used game.
I think we will go with the Amazon pre order route. My reasoning for this you ask? I went to the local Game Stop and IT WAS CLOSED DOWN!

To be fair there was a sign there telling folks that all pre orders were transfered to their other nearby locations. I wish my son was with me. Might have been a good lesson in the realities of the business world.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM
"Not Willsdad"

I pre-order once in a while. Usually from Best Buy. I have done GS though. You don't lose the money, but like was said you get extras. Could be characters, skins or whatever, plus it guarantees you a copy. There is never a game that comes out that I can't get a copy though at Walmart or Best Buy on release day without pre-ordering.

It's only $5 mark. One push of the gas petal in that opulent car of yours and you've dropped almost that as it is.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Amazon also has automatic PRICE MATCH! If anther retailer lowers the price they do as well. (Yes I like Amazon, but the deals are typically pretty good) I don't have to fuss about it at all. They also have a NO HASSLE exchange policy. I had a game come and it did not work. They sent out a new one with a return envelope.

I don't have time to fuss with Gamestop or Best Buy for that matter.

Amazon for me has always been right in line with the cheapest stores... Local gamestop is ALWAYS MSRP!

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Trophy Husband

I just got back from pre ordering at another Gamestop. This location is the one my son usually goes to anyway. I used one of my son's Gamestop cards and plunked down $25 on it. There will be some extra "swag" included and I was given a set of dog tags that have some special code on them that can only be used on the first day to download some special maps that are used in the game. Good marketing idea indeed. I should also correct myself. It is not COD4 but some other game I guess you guys probably know about. When I asked the guy if it was COD4 he said "No, that is being released in November sometime." These friggen guys have it all figured out. The boy will be happy!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:37 PM
SAHD to RN

You did it FOR him? While his phone and gaming priveleges are currently suspended? Wow. Did you ask how high he wanted you to jump?
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)