Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 AM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksem View Post
Just ran my 5th 50k trail race in one year...
Time to recover...Mountain biking!
That's pretty intense. How do you find time to train?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 PM
Beach Daddy

Ran a half this weekend in Williamsburg. Pretty small race but it was fun. Part of the course went through Colonial Williamsburg and some of the other historic sites. Pretty happy with time too, 1:41.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

trying to get back into running a bit. started the couch to 5K program and I am entering the 3rd week. Felt like I was progressing nicely until my last run. Just felt awful. My form, which felt like it was coming back slowly, took a step back and my shins were on fire because of it. I backed off a bit and just did the elliptical to give myself a little more recovery. Hopefully my run tonight will go well.

My blood pressure is the lowest it has been in years and hopefully my weight will follow. But, I did initially gain some weight once I got active again. I'm looking to do maybe a zombie mud run or something fun initially and eventually moving on to a spartan race with my brother next year.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 PM
SAHD to RN

Congrats Mog! You can't have a great run every time you lace up, so don't worry about it...good idea backing off slightly, but figure out what the problem was....was it the shoes? Time for new ones? Do you have good running shoes now? That makes ALL the difference.

Will be going out for a 4 miler later on tonight after my son's school band concert...not to mention after the sun goes down!

We have my sprint triathlon that I put on for a few friends this Saturday....I haven't done a brick workout yet this season (bike and run in the same workout)....I may be in for a rude awakening!!
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

Thanks Ct. I think it was a couple of things. I had done a bunch of yard work and mowing the lawn before hand, so I tired a little quicker than before. And because I had done all that work before hand, I neglected to stretch. I may need a different pair of running shoes, but it didn't hurt like this before. I think because I was so tired, I ended up coming down on my heels more and it just made it worse.

Have fun this weekend with that! How many friends participate?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:46 AM
SAHD to RN

Cool, it sounds like you know the source.

Thanks! Last year (the first year we did it), it was just me and two buddies do the entire course, but we had about 7 kids do different things (some just swam, some biked, some just ran).

This year we have 7 adults and 13-15 kids participating. I have a sprint distance course laid out (for the swim we do laps in my pool), and the kids can do whatever they want/feel they are able to do. The point is to just have fun and be active!

I get cool medals for everyone and we hang out and have a cookout afterwards.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Nice Dad

I'm trying to get back on a running schedule and still plan on doing my first 5k late this summer or fall.

I get shin splints and now wear better shoes with inserts plus compression shin sleeves that really work, no more pain while running. I wear these, $29.99, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Q3GBJTVTBW4LQ5

HockeySave.com
Old 06-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

Thanks Don, I'll have to check those out.

Ct, quite a big jump in one year. Before you know it you'll be coordinating your own giant event.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Daddy

Well, Labor Day has passed, and with it my town's annual 5k fun run. As I watched, this former 7th grade cross country runner thought, "I want to do this next year." We'll see if my knees agree with my head, as it's been 30 years. I figure I'll have to ease into it. Power walking to start, just to get the muscles moving. Increase distance gradually and transition from walk to run. I also figure it's a good way to shed this gut I've acquired, despite not being overweight. It's hurting my back and affecting my mobility. A year should be enough for a rusty 42 year old.

King of a blended family - Three girls (23, 23, 20), three boys (19, 8, 6) and four angels who didn't make it ^i^ ^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Couch to 5k is a great starter program too, good luck!