Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Daddy

Default Hoping to lose 30 lbs.

Well I started another diet 9-9-13. I weighed 200 lbs. By 9-13-13, I had lost 5 lbs. The weekend I splurged and weighed 197 lbs on the 17th. Now I am at 193 lbs this morning. Only 23 lbs away from the goal, but it seems so far away.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Nice Dad

I have set a similar goal and down 20 lbs so far. I exercise more than I have in a long time (maybe since my college days). I eat better but still do a little cheating now and again.

This getting old stuff makes it harder to stay in shape, I'm battling shin splints and just started running on the treadmill a few months ago. The running is what is helping me shred the weight.

Did an insanity workout yesterday, kicked my ass. I do not know how people do that workout if they are more than 40-50lb over weight.

HockeySave.com
Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Just Dad

Hoping to lose a lot of weight as well. I'm shooting for the long run of about 70 pounds. Right now, I would like to be under 270 by the beginning of next year. My initial weigh-in was about 307 three weeks ago, and today I weighed-in at 299. Not bad for me. I have not been under 300 for more than a day or two since the twins were born, so today was a big accomplishment. I've been hovering around 305 to 310 for the last year.

My only change so far is diet. I basically cut out carbohydrates. Paleo/Ketogenic diet, or something like that.

I walk the kids for about 30-40 minutes most mornings and that's about all the exercise that I regularly do.

Hopefully I'll be down another pound or two on my next weigh-in.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 09-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Read labels ......limit yourself to 2gm of sodium per 24hrs. Helps with releasing retained water.

Move all your joints everyday, doesn't have to be a killer workout all the time.

Take your weight x 12 and eat fewer calories than that number and the weight will come off with little effort but take time.

If your main beverage is something other than water, then it will help your cause to make that change.

No eating or drinking for 10-12hrs during the night....natural fast is good for the colon and aids metabolism. Exception: water.

Quality multivitamin. You'll have to do some homework here but the dividends are worthwhile.

Lean protein....four ounces of sirloin...no salt, four ounces of tuna steak(not the canned stuff) , four ounces of salmon or cod steak...no salt but some lemon does great with fresh black pepper.

Beans.....soak them, cook them up and add a sauce of your making, even a touch of real honey from a local keeper or maple syrup , half cup is a great snack, plenty of fiber to satiate. Beans alone do not cause smelly gas, gas yes, not smelly. Its what you add to them or eat with them that causes the paint to peel.

Always have some dark green veggies, preferably leafy greens but beans/peas work well.

Like yogurt? Chobani has the high protein, 21mg per serving, least amount of added sugars.

Salt.......sea salt has 25% less sodium than table salt......big help right there.
Honey....Read up on the honey imported into the US, it is not real honey. Get honey that is locally sourced, it won't be pasteurized. Honey in commercial foods, not real honey, it's glucose.

Read labels.

Last edited by woodchuck; 09-19-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Read labels ......limit yourself to 2gm of sodium per 24hrs. Helps with releasing retained water.

Move all your joints everyday, doesn't have to be a killer workout all the time.

Take your weight x 12 and eat fewer calories than that number and the weight will come off with little effort but take time.

If your main beverage is something other than water, then it will help your cause to make that change.

No eating or drinking for 10-12hrs during the night....natural fast is good for the colon and aids metabolism.

Quality multivitamin. You'll have to do some homework here but the dividends are worthwhile.
I'm quoting this before he comes back and deletes it. Very sound words here.

So is the low carb/no carb thing now called something different than Atkins? I was on that for several years, up til my dad died. I was down to 175 and holding but it was ...tough. I'm back up to 210 and have been now for a couple years. We watch what we eat, very little processed food and eat out less than once a week. We do several 5K's a year to give us goals and keep us moving.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM
SAHD to RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
I'm quoting this before he comes back and deletes it. Very sound words here.
Very good advice right there. Spot on Woody!
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

All for carbs, just need to fit the right ones into the meal plan. For ex:

Half a baked potato with sour cream and pepper, pile of green beans(no salt added if from a can), four ounce cod with fresh lemon wedges and black pepper or herbs. Mini bran muffin (golf ball size) with 8 oz of milk or 12 oz of water and you will find yourself plenty full.

I followed the longwinded post for ten days and lost fifteen pounds. Exercise was that joint movement ( couple slow windmills) or some butt squeezes and keegles while sitting or merely walking around each hour or two throughout the day for a couple minutes and couple laps in the hall when time permitted.

Another benefit was regular bm's , it was the fiber at every meal, along with water in between meals. Eggs at breakfast, oatmeal, .....no breads...way too much sodium per slice.

Wife has a new pancake recipe, three of them silver dollar size with two eggs glass of milk and belly is full for hours. High protein flapjacks.

The book " wheat belly " might be very helpful for some. Wife is just about off of her insulin from following the information in that book and the companion cookbook for the last couple months. Yep, type 2 is going buh-bye for her.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
I'm quoting this before he comes back and deletes it.

As if.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomedaddad View Post
Well I started another diet 9-9-13. I weighed 200 lbs. By 9-13-13, I had lost 5 lbs. The weekend I splurged and weighed 197 lbs on the 17th. Now I am at 193 lbs this morning. Only 23 lbs away from the goal, but it seems so far away.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread man, just offering and experience.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post

The book " wheat belly " might be very helpful for some. Wife is just about off of her insulin from following the information in that book and the companion cookbook for the last couple months. Yep, type 2 is going buh-bye for her.
Congratulations on losing the type 2. I read the Wheat Belly book early last year, and after multiple attempts, was able to remove wheat from my diet. After about 2 weeks, my urticaria cleared up or at least is now about 90% managed. It not a gluten allergy, some other protein in the wheat these days.

Tried the moderation or calorie diets, but the food "addiction" is a little too strong, especially at home with a less than active life at the moment. I removed most carbohydrates from my diet and changed them out for lots of greens. So my diet is mostly meats, greens, cheeses, and fats. After the first week my appetite has been significantly reduced, and the weight seems to be gradually coming off. No major relapses except for beer here and there.

Also, I am more thirsty, it seems, and I do drink pretty much only water. Its pretty much the only thing you have left to drink.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Last edited by TwoCubs; 09-19-2013 at 11:53 PM.