Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Didn't mean to hijack the thread man, just offering and experience.
Advice is always welcomed. Thanks.
For breakfast I have been eating grits plain or regular cornflakes with 2% milk. For morning snack a banana, apple, watermelon, or some kind of fruit. For lunch a salad with fat free dressing or sardines or jack mack with five crackers. Then I try to eat a small supper before 4:30. I drink only water and take a complete multivitamin. Weigh 192.6 this morning. Haven't exercised any yet. Stepping over three baby gates and going back and forth all day is some exercise I guess.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Last time I had any success I cut carbs and sugars and salt back and ate lots of protein, so basically I cut out chips, cereals and any kind of junk food like potato chips and just ate sensible portions.

That was before I had kids though. Now the biggest challenge is resisting the urge to eat the food that they turn their noses up at. Weight loss is working fine for my boys: they're both in the 25th percentile for weight and have LOTS of energy.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Daddy

Good luck with the diet.

For people like myself, it's not so much the number of calories as it is the makeup of those calories.

I, like approx. 60% of Americans, am insulin resistant. So, basically, sugar and carbohydrates freak out my pancreas, gives me crazy insulin spikes, and tells my body to set the fat aside while it does battle with with the sugar and carbs.

So, even though I was mtn biking, playing hockey, weight lifting, and kayaking, I was still Fit Fat. @ 5'11", in my 40's, I was vascilating between 210 and 240.

For me, being in a state of nutritional ketosis is the answer.

After about a 3 week adaptation period for my body, I felt like I had found the fountain of youth. My mtn bike group was literally pisised off and accused me of doing performace enhancing drugs.

In 3months I lost 55 lbs, going from my personal high of 240 down to 185. I haven't been in Wonderland (199 lbs or less) since the mid 90's.

FOR THE FIRST 2 MONTHS, CIRCUMSTANCES PREVENTED ME FROM DOING ANY EXERCISING OTHER THAN A 30 MINUTE WALK A FEW TIMES A WEEK. I LOST 40 LBS DURING THAT 2 MONTHS.

Being in ketosis, I burn more fat while sleeping at night, than I burn on the ellyptical trainer during the day.

Also, because I now eat atleast 4 cups of vegetables a day, my oxygen delivery system is immensely improved. And depending on what you read, it takes 1 to 7 miles of blood vessels for your heart to supply 1 pound of fat. So, essentially, your heart is pumping blood into a lot of dead end waste land, when it's all supposed to be going to the organs that really need it.

With a greatly improved oxygen delivery system, and a vastly condensed delivery route, I found the fountain of youth.

If you are still reading, then you will find these links quite interesting.

http://eatingacademy.com/why-i-decided-to-lose-weight

http://eatingacademy.com/

somewhere after 30 minute mark discusses low cab and insulin resistant people

Now, I range between 185 and 190. I love chips and cola and chocolate and potatos, so I tend to stay on The Cyclical Ketogenic Diet; carb up on the weekends, ketosis during the week.
t's not nearly as difficult as the wiki page suggest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_ketogenic_diet

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cycl...genic_diet.htm

Last edited by Tomcat; 09-20-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Proud Papa

Best of luck. Improving health is always worth our time. A lot of people find out what healthy is for them may be a little different than what charts say. I lost about 85-90 pounds a few years ago, and after maintaining it for a few months I felt bad and looked ill. I put 30 back on (which meant 40 "overweight") over a the next year and have felt better ever since. Now I just worry about making those pounds muscle instead of fat.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Just Dad

TomCat,

Thanks for the personal story and the links. I'm just rounding the curb of three weeks on the ketosis diet. Slowly losing weight.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Daddy

Thanks for the encouraging words and for the links. Well I am back up to 194 lbs this morning. Friday night pizza, weekend fast food, and big breakfasts put it back on some. Hard to resist when we go somewhere. Oh well, back on the diet this morning feeling guilty about the weekend. Just makes it take longer to make it to my goal.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Daddy

Back down to 193.2 lbs. Think I need an appetite suppressor or something. I stay hungry all the time.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Fiber and a glass of water.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Fiber and a glass of water.
Repeat every 20-30 minutes.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomedaddad View Post
Well I started another diet 9-9-13. I weighed 200 lbs. By 9-13-13, I had lost 5 lbs. The weekend I splurged and weighed 197 lbs on the 17th. Now I am at 193 lbs this morning. Only 23 lbs away from the goal, but it seems so far away.
After seeing your thread, I was more motivated to stick with this diet and see it through for a say a month. Well, I started at 307 lbs. about 3.5 weeks ago and today I'm comfortably at 297 lbs. I hope to be down another 2 or three lbs. next week.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar