Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Just Dad

Default Nutritional Ketosis

Okay. I've been fiddling with this for about six weeks now and have been seeing moderate progress without a massive amount of difficulty.

My primary goal is weight loss, but I would also like to see a reduction in the need for a cpap machine and possible elimination of the Delayed-Pressure Urticaria that plagues me.

So I've bought a PrecisionMax blood ketone/glucose meter (supposed to be the most accurate for ketone measurement). The ketone strips are way expensive, so I'm only going to do that measurement maybe once or twice a week.

I've bought Phinney and Volek's books and Gary Taubes' books for a guideline.

Anyway, has anyone here done this before? Results?

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

The basis of many diets lately including Atkins, correct? Ketosis as opposed to ketoacidosis, something indicating a misfunctioning kidney? Liver?
Anyway, I ran on Atkins for nearly three years, steady at my goal weight of 175 for most of a year, right up until my dad died. That's a story for another time.
My advice, use whatever you need to retrain your eating habits and get to your goal but focus on making those healthier eating choices habit. Also, as you come off the diet or into maintenance, you NEED NEED NEED to have a workout routine in place.

Anyway, gotta go play chess with fifth graders.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Just Dad

So I finally had an evening without a beer last night. Did one last test with the ketostix before bed and got a positive reading. An even better one this morning. Woo Hoo! I finally induced ketosis!

I've been circling this diet for almost two months and guess up until now, that I had not cut enough carbohydrate out of my diet. I also made a deal with my wife yesterday, that if I lost 25 pounds doing this that she would do it with me.

She feels that its too extreme, but I don't really see it that way anymore. It's like saving money. I'm doing this now, so later I can eat without worrying so much about my weight.

So I've got a goal weight of 270 pounds to get the wife on board by the first of the year.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Beer me!

Good luck, once you're there in that zone it should drop pretty well. Don't think you can cheat though, I remember thinking "one cookie won't hurt" and yeah, the scale notices one cookie.

Once you get down to where you never thought you'd go, seriously get involved in a workout routine. I can't stress that enough. You need to burn as much as you can.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Just Dad

Still getting positive readings on the ketostix. Depending on hydration, I'm getting a more or less positive showing. The highest coloring tends to be first thing in the morning and right before bed. I weighed on the Wii in the middle of the day yesterday and was down 4 pounds in three days. I know a lot of it is water, but still feels great.

I've had a few of the "keto flu" symptoms, headaches and a little weakness, but sure enough, a cup of chicken bouillon fixed me right up in a matter of minutes (20). I'm looking forward to the increased energy, and I will begin some exercise in a couple weeks after I'm fully keto-adapted.

I have noticed that I have been forgetting to eat during the day more often. I'm not really desiring food as much anymore either. I was all set to eat two burgers covered in fat and cheese last night but finished the first and felt stuffed. Saved the second for today. I may actually start saving some money on groceries with this.

I have noticed that since I'm not craving as much to eat, veggies haven't been a big part of my meals. I've gone a couple days without eating any, last night being an exception. I had a craving for a salad, so I made one covered in cheese, kalamata olives, olive oil, and a little Olive Garden dressing. Yum.

I'm going to weigh tomorrow morning (trying to not weigh more than twice a week) and hope to have made my goal weight for the two week period.

Funny, this is the first time that I have been on a diet and looked forward to holiday meals.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Just Dad

Down another 2 pounds this morning. Its been almost 2 years since I was below 290. 280 will be the next big mile marker. That was summer of 2010 a few months after nutrisystem. Not a bad diet, just expensive. I had gotten down to 274, if I remember correctly. That will be cool to see again.

And when, not if, I get to 270, my wife has to start doing this with me. Maybe we can get rid of some the bread in the house then.

P.S. I would love to get back down to my wrestling weight of 210. I think that is my goal weight. That will put me 100 pounds down from where I started.

Last edited by TwoCubs; 12-04-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Beer me!

Hey, I thought of another thing, make sure you're taking a good multivitamin. I remember waking in the middle of the night several months in with severe cramps in my legs. Like nothing I'd ever felt before!

Keep at it, man, progress is nice, isn't it?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Just Dad

[QUOTE=tt3;271820] Don't think you can cheat though, I remember thinking "one cookie won't hurt" and yeah, the scale notices one cookie. QUOTE]

No kidding. I had a few beers Thanksgiving evening, and that threw me way off. Felt like crap the next day (not hung-over, just tired). I weighed on Sunday morning and had bounced up 4 pounds. This morning, I'm down 5.3 pounds. So, a net loss of 1.3 for the week.

I could complain, but the heavy cream and butter alfredo sauce that I made last night for my chicken and steak leftovers was so rich and tasty. The buttery and fat-rich foods really do makeup for the lack of bread--not to mention that I haven't had a hunger pain since before Halloween.

Here's to another 2 pounds lost by next Wednesday.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Beer me!

You've inspired me to kick back into it. (That and being back up where I didn't like...)
I'm doing way more dark veggies this time, though. I started the Monday before Thanksgiving and already making progress.

Fun times. ;)
Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Just Dad

Another couple pounds down on Saturday. Feeling good. Wishing suspenders were cool. I'm tired of pulling my pants up and having to over tighten my belt. Easiest diet ever.

Begin: 310 lbs.

Now: 286 lbs.