Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

That's a big project! Was it you thinking of making a bonus room/level there instead of the vaulted ceiling?
Old 04-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
That's a big project! Was it you thinking of making a bonus room/level there instead of the vaulted ceiling?
Yes, but the quote we received was prohibitive so the layout will not be changed. I'm fine with that, but at some point she is going to want to move within the next few years. I get that.

Today's conundrum is this: the flooring is going in. It is luxury vinyl with a wood grain appearance that comes in planks that fit tongue in groove. Hardwood floor is structural in nature, so the boards have to be oriented across the slats underneath. That means that they are oriented across the width of the hourse. Since this material is not structural in any way, it doesn't matter which way the planks are arranged; it's all visual. Ideally we would like the boards to be arranged the length of the longest sight lines in the house, but there are several:

1: looking from the front door toward the rear wall of the house in the foyer, across the main brace, parallel with the joists.
2: looking from the family room into the kitchen, which is 90 degrees opposed from #1; across the "length" of the house
3: in the same way as #2, looking across the house from the dining room, through the foyer and into the living room, across the entire length of the house.

The conundrum is "which way to go? From entering the house, the wife and I think that seeing boards go across the width of the house would be ugly but really I could go either way. The flooring people don't have any suggestions. I'm wavering and feeling like a fool.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Beer me!

The flooring people don't but I bet the installers do. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm leaning toward arranging it the way it would be if it were hardwood. Besides, there's an area off the back door that needs repair and doing that way would require only removing one plank. We can always lay a rug across the boards in the foyer.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Beer me!

I think that's a good choice. It would seem... discordant? to do otherwise.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM
Beach Daddy

What did you decide on the flooring? Wife and I were looking at a LVT product called Core-Tec (http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-c.../boardwalk-oak) but ended going with the Dusk in this collection: http://www.palmettoroadfloors.com/ha...-flooring.aspx
Old 04-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Here's what we got so far:

I don't know if I like it with the blue. It goes much better with taupe in the foyer and beige in the dining room:

The dining room is still a mess and the baseboards have to go back up. Sorry, but the colors really go well together.

By the way, while this was going on downstairs I was painting our newly furnished bedroom:

I feel like I'm bragging but this is the first real remodel in over 15 years and even though it's a work in progress it's much better than the holy terror it used to be. Now we've got to pay it off though - and my wife has more that she wants done. This is just the beginning. Next up is the kitchen and the bathrooms.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
What did you decide on the flooring? Wife and I were looking at a LVT product called Core-Tec (http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-c.../boardwalk-oak) but ended going with the Dusk in this collection: http://www.palmettoroadfloors.com/ha...-flooring.aspx
The stuff is called Fusion Max. It's vinyl. The texture is called "Roussillon." They spent half the day putting in the subfloor but they just lay it in top and it fits together tongue in groove lust like a laminate.

By the way, you guys are getting the scoop. My wife hasn't even seen it yet!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Man that looks good
Old 04-26-2017, 01:59 AM
Beer me!

Looking good, man. Until I saw the last pic I wouldn't have known it wasn't wood!