Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2016, 02:32 AM
Just Dad

I know I've probably mentioned this before, Kwak, but the local Vo-Tech cabinet-making class in OKC would build custom cabinets for the cost of the materials. Maybe a cabinet-making class near you would do the same.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 11-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
http://www.goodshomedesign.com/how-t...ething-useful/

Funny this came across my news feed this morning.
Good luck
I just had my wife's uncle come over and look around. When they moved into their house they did a TOTAL restoration. They tore out all the flooring and took the walls down to the studs. That's pretty much what we have to do here. That's above my paygrade.

BTW, he told me that a loft would be a good idea instead of putting in a room and moving the wall over to increase the size of the new room. Looking at the link you provided that makes a certain amount of sense but I'm inclined to leave things the way they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Dang, Kwak! You're making me tired. That's just a heck of a lot of remodeling. I think a move would be a less expensive option, but I'm not you guys.

The bathroom does look like an after-thought in the kitchen, though.
I'm inclined to agree. Justin is likely going to be housed at the residence for at least another year given that his behaviors continue there. Unless we basically disown him he's going to come home and we need to be prepared because the waiting list for funds for basic residential placement for adults with autism is LONG. This past weekend we had traveled with a couple who had a 24 year old son just as mentally impaired as Justin - only not violent. They have been waiting for 6 years and expect that he will probably not be moved until they're retired. This house is good for a family of three who gets no company, but that is not what our family is going to be.

So there's no sense shining this turd of a house if he's only going to start tearing it apart again. We should be using this time to upgrade and looking for something that will fit our needs. In a perfect world, we should be looking to get several acres of land to build or find an old farm house that we can renovate like our uncle did. Meanwhile, we need to repair the damage to the house and make the necessary renovations to list it.

The decision has been made: the bathroom is staying put. I'm not about to pay a plumber to move lines through a load bearing wall just to fix an architect's f*** up. I'm telling the wife that the 4th bedroom or even adding a loft should be optional at best. It will not add to the value of the house. We are going to need EXTENSIVE drywall replacement and replacement of the flooring.

So as soon as I can line up a person to do the drywall and flooring I'm going to order a dumpster and start tearing things out myself. Any additions to plumbing and electrical work can be done at that time. I will draw upon my angst for strength. Who knows? Maybe we can get Justin a day pass and recruit him too. Once the basic work is done, then we can shift attention to upgrading the bathroom fixtures.

As for moving, I can't think that far ahead yet.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 11-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm excited about the prospect of finally fixing this dump up but admit that part of me is sad. We've been in this house for almost exactly 17 years (we closed right before Thanksgiving) and in that time boy, has live thrown us some curves!

Still, I love our neighborhood. We sit atop the a hill that affords us a wonderful view of the countryside to the south. The maples that were planted 30 years ago are still not very big so there's a wonderful view of the skies and we've enjoyed many beautiful sunsets, not to mention I've been able to watch several generations of (what I believe are) redtailed hawks soar on thermals above our hill.

Meanwhile, as I've taken my morning walks I've noticed that one of the families who occupies a 5 bedroom house about 6 doors up and across the street has had a U-Haul in their driveway. I think I hear opportunity knocking.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Just Dad

Kwak, just make sure you get a respirator, full-face (eyes, nose, mouth) if you can. Not one of those cheap paper masks. They run about $100, and the smaller, nose and mouth respirators go for about $30. They easily pay for themselves in the lack of pain, suffering, and medication/doctor visits that you will otherwise have to deal with.

See if you can recruit some help. If you only have someone to carry the drywall out to the dumpster, it will make a huge difference.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Kwak, just make sure you get a respirator, full-face (eyes, nose, mouth) if you can. Not one of those cheap paper masks. They run about $100, and the smaller, nose and mouth respirators go for about $30. They easily pay for themselves in the lack of pain, suffering, and medication/doctor visits that you will otherwise have to deal with.

See if you can recruit some help. If you only have someone to carry the drywall out to the dumpster, it will make a huge difference.
Definitely, I will be wearing a mask. I've been poring over YouTube videos of removing and mudding drywall joints as well as installing wainscoting. Now I know what I've been doing wrong.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm watching 757's thread but don't want to hijack. We also have to remodel some bathrooms that involve ripping out a couple of old tubs and putting in floor to ceiling tile.

At this point though I'm focusing on drywall in Justin's bedroom. Like 757 I'm going to do it in phases, one wall at a time - which comes to about 3 sheets per wall. I have a prybar, a nose/mouth respirator, safety glasses (with bifocal lenses) and drywall tape/mud so I'm thinking all I need is to drop about $30 on drywall so far. I'm going to start with the wall that has no doors or windows to get the ball rolling.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I'm watching 757's thread but don't want to hijack. We also have to remodel some bathrooms that involve ripping out a couple of old tubs and putting in floor to ceiling tile.

At this point though I'm focusing on drywall in Justin's bedroom. Like 757 I'm going to do it in phases, one wall at a time - which comes to about 3 sheets per wall. I have a prybar, a nose/mouth respirator, safety glasses (with bifocal lenses) and drywall tape/mud so I'm thinking all I need is to drop about $30 on drywall so far. I'm going to start with the wall that has no doors or windows to get the ball rolling.
Get one of those little Dremel tool thingies, really worked well for me when I redid our basement
Old 11-22-2016, 01:01 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
Get one of those little Dremel tool thingies, really worked well for me when I redid our basement
I got one, the 4000. I used it to do inlays on my guitar build. I'd like to get a laminate trimmer too - or something that uses the larger 1/4" shaft. The Dremel is not good for heavy duty application, it's meant for fine details.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Just Dad

The oscillating saws are fun, too. I bought one earlier this year and wish that I had one long before now.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:51 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

Hijack away if needed. You sound like you are about to be knee deep in your project. I am still in the early early planning phase.