Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Trophy Husband

I will just say the exterior walls look fine as far as construction techniques. The interior walls look totally different. One example is the crown plate in the first picture does not go all the way to the left. It is hanging on half a stud. Good job on planning to install more studs Kwak.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Just Dad

It looks like you're doing it good, Kwak. I only wish I could be there to help. I kind of enjoy that sort of work sometimes (when I don't have to sleep in it). You've almost got the hard part, the tear-down, finished. The rest will get a little better each day.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks. I'm not looking forward to cutting around the windows though. I'll be happy once i get everything muddled up and can call to have flooring done.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007

Last edited by Kwak; 12-09-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I got to get to work today. I dread the work but have a goal in my mind of having a cozy home with fresh paint and crisp walls and new floors by Christmas - or at least a house that doesn't look like it should be condemned. I hope that gives me the motivation to git 'er dun.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I got to get to work today. I dread the work but have a goal in my mind of having a cozy home with fresh paint and crisp walls and new floors by Christmas - or at least a house that doesn't look like it should be condemned. I hope that gives me the motivation to git 'er dun.
Good luck! Makes my goals of just decluttering (wife is a bit of a packrat, and the kids are, well, kids) seem lazy by comparison! Been following this thread with interest since it's been kind of inspiring and making me want to take care of a few of the bigger projects we've been putting off since our first kid was born.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
Good luck! Makes my goals of just decluttering (wife is a bit of a packrat, and the kids are, well, kids) seem lazy by comparison! Been following this thread with interest since it's been kind of inspiring and making me want to take care of a few of the bigger projects we've been putting off since our first kid was born.
This project has had the opposite effect on clutter. Justin's bed and a dozen sheets of sheet rock are occupying half the garage and the Oddity is parked in the driveway. My wife has a terrible habit of throwing her vehicles in reverse and gunning the gas without looking over her shoulder. Her current car has a backup camera (which is good because she "hurt her neck working out too hard") but her last mini SUV didn't and she nearly ramped over my mother's Civic one year.

Meanwhile, I also have that fiberboard and door/window trim just laying atop the shoe racks in the basement (I'm repurposing/reinstalling the lumber) and my wife had a temper tantrum when looking for her "warm" fur lined leather boots which were underneath. I'm trying to bite my tongue and not respond to such silliness. If she's not going to lift a finger to help them she can talk to the wall -just like I've been.

By the way, I also bought a new shelving unit for the basement to put bins of her stuff and extra kitchen gadgets on. I feel like I'm making progress in the grand scheme of things, but OTOH my body is hurting with lots of little nagging aches and pains.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

HD has an 11' drywall lift for rent for $25/hour or $144 a week. I am tempted to rent it for a week. I've been fighting some kind of funk and my back is talking me into it.

http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...ift_11ft/2311/

I'm worried about money. Not because so far I've (*only*) spent about $175 in materials, - bear in mind I paid somebody something like $1000 to put up the fiberboard - but for other expenses. One being my mother's airplane ticket as she refuses to invest in a computer.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

TGIM. I'm putting it out there: today I'm going to tear down the old vapor barrier, replace 3 sections of insulation and hang new plastic.

I told my wife about my plans for renting the jack and she advised with a friend's husband who told her that it was only meant for hanging sheetrock on the ceiling.

Whatever...I told her I saw it being used on walls too, but we'll see. If she can blow out her knee running away to Sandusky for a 5K then she can hang by my bedside if I blow my back out again. Which is cheaper in the long run?

Anyway, with regards to hanging the sheet rock maybe I'm overthinking it but I want it ready for paint by next week so that it can be a bedroom again and I can move on to other rooms. I have just one or two cross braces to go on the back wall and then I'm throwing out the bashed in closet door. That clears the way for it to be the first wall to get hung with 1/2" sheet rock.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I tore down the old ripped up vapor barrier and replaced a couple sections of funky looking insulation:

It took all of one roll of insulation. I have another but only need a couple more feet so I'll have extra. I suppose I could always put it up in the attic between the joists. There is literally only spray insulation on the "floor" up there. First things first though.

Meanwhile the new plastic vapor barrier looks good but I ran out of staples. More $$$ but I'm that much closer to hanging drywall. I've also removed the beaten closet door, hinges and striker plate so it's out of the way. It'll have to be replaced too eventually. That would be door #3 of 5 to replace and the second in this room - just another reminder of how far I let things go.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Trophy Husband

Looking good!