Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Game Lounge
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default What are your thoughts on "professional" gamers?

Over the past few years I've gotten sucked into watching "let's play" videos of people off all ages (from their teens to their 40s) playing video games and I was wondering if it's a valid form of entertainment to some of you guys?

I liken it to standing in the background while watching someone else play a game that you can't for whatever reason but it surprises me how some of them have near rock star status in certain circles. They receive fan mail, have fan clubs and followers on Twitter. Some even receive monetary gifts through Twitch or Pantheon. Getting a kickback on advertising through YouTube is one thing, but this other stuff kind of worries me. What do you think?

What really surprises me is that some of these people appear to receive endorsements from game producers and are even asked to represent them at conventions. In a way, they're like pro athletes. Many of these people are washouts from retail or low level corporate jobs who took a risk in investing in a high end PC and now rely on riding a trend in gaming popularity and relying on their own personality to put them ahead of their peers. That's incredible - and even a little crazy - to me. Am I dinosaur for feeling this way? Again, what do you guys think?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 12-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

If they can make a living doing it, have at it. Would it be wrong for me to think most of them are doing this from their parent's basement?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Super Daddy

Funny, about two weeks ago or so I actually watched an ESPN E:60 program about these "kids" who were professional gamers participating in some major tournament for "Dota"... prize pool was $18million, with $6 million going to the winning team.

I admit, I am not currently and never have been a gamer, so a lot of this was foreign to me, but it was fascinating to watch... particularly as I see my own boys slated to grow up in a much more technologically advanced era (compared to the Atari 2600 we did own when I was a kid)

That said, some of the winners were kids living in their parents basement...
Old 12-05-2015, 01:31 AM
Super Nice Dad

My oldest plays LOL (league of legends) all the time, he used to tell me stories about how they would play some tournament on Super Bowl Sunday and still get hundreds of thousands people watching the tournament live online. I think the Koreans always win. But they make some good cash if they win.

HockeySave.com
Old 12-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I gave up video games when I was 13. When I wanted to get another game or upgrade systems, (quite expensive for a kid in the country with no job) Dad sat me down and explained " someone is getting rich off your ass and those games- be that guy" Good speech I recall.

Last edited by irie feeling; 12-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

I don't watch Let's Play stuff but I have no problem with people making a living off making them, more power to them.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I tried to get a degree in computer programming, but bombed out in college. Waiting until you are 35yr old, makes it harder IMO. Forgot what I learned in school.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

I don't understand the appeal, but hey, if people want to throw money at them, then good for them.

I used to play a lot more back in the pre-kid years, but man, even at my best I wasn't even close to being them at their worst. It does take some crazy level of talent.. and obsession.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Diaper Jockey

More power to them. Never begrudge anyone from making a buck off something they're good at - as long as it's legal.

On a somewhat related note....I'm sure many of you remember Tecmo Super Bowl. In college we had tournaments with the whole floor of our dorm involved. We'd play a whole season in one night. Anyway, caught this NFL Films documentary a few years ago. Some guys in Madison run an annual Tecmo tournament with people traveling from all over the country to compete. Pretty interesting if you remember/played the game. Here's the link.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Career SAHD

My younger son watches a lot of videos like you describe Kwak. I try to be open minded, even though I have no interest in any of it. Really though, it makes more sense than me watching football with no ability to play. At least after watching gamers he can go try it himself. If we're crazy enough to spend hundreds of dollars to sit in the snow and watch NFL games, there's no doubt there's a future in professional gaming on many levels.