Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Soooo...what did YOU do today?

Admit it - after a long day off wiping tushies and nosies, doing dishes, cutting crust off PBJ sandwiches, kissing owies, etc. etc. and still finding time to try and remember what adult interaction was like before you got labeled as a "Mr. Mom" when your wife comes home and flops down on the couch you have to fight starting the argument that is supposed to be squelched when she utters the line in the title of this thread.

Well, here's your chance to toot your own horn to somebody else who appreciates it, namely you brother in arms who are going through similar trials. So put out every little home improvement thing that you personally did with your own two hands. Hiring a contractor doesn't count - that's just showing off!
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'll start with my accomplishments this month:

- finished priming the two story foyer. Now it's all one color and if you squint you can't see my ineptitude with drywall patches. Worse though are the errant roller marks on the ceiling and crown molding.

- I spot patches many dings and chips in the gypsum downstairs. Live and learn: having a palm sander is soooo worth having because hand sanding spackle SUCKS.

- I replaced 5 receptacles in the family room and living room. I still have 3 to go. In my defense my fusebox was not labeled so I have had to shut off the master switch so I don't fry what brain cells I have left.

- I went to Home Depot and got some paint swatches for the living room. The paint had faded over a decade of neglect and the walls were pitted from many items being thrown against them. I decided on an acceptable color - which is not a perfect match but is close enough while also being more vibrant if I do say so myself. I painted one wall but have two yet to go the fourth wall is a comprised of shelving.

- two celluloid cloth window blinds were damaged a long time ago. I bought cordless replacements which were almost literally a snap to install.

- at the wife's request I purchased a new bed/bath doorknob. I opted to purchase one in an antiques brushed bronze color instead of the gold plated finish that are prevalent throughout our home. Not only do I hate the gold, but the finish chips easily - not to mention that Justin bites them when he's angry. I took the golden knob that was installed along with a new solid core door to Justin's room and used it to replace the worn knob in the upstairs hall bathroom I put the new knob on Justin's bedroom door. Hopefully the finish - and the enamel on his teeth - holds up.

Last edited by Kwak; 02-12-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:37 AM
Just Dad

Kwak, thank you. I have to admit that I have become quite the introvert since having kids and leaving work to stay home. No one else seems to understand how big an accomplishment it is to do something not related to housework in the few hours the kids are at school/napping/not-napping. It is a BFD, to me, when I can accomplish something not related to childcare or housework.

Excellent idea.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 02-13-2016, 12:48 AM
Just Dad

I've never brazed aluminum before. I bought ten feet of 1" aluminum angle and made a 20"X30" bracket to hold 4" deep filters for my HVAC return. Just a Mapp gas torch, a vise, aluminum brazing rods, and freshly brushed aluminum. I finished sealing it today with some silicone (after firring-up the box) and will install a new 4" filter, after all of the silicone dries, tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

You guys stay at home dads or stay at home contractors?
I changed a light bulb last week.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Just Dad

Hey, so long as you didn't wind-up in the ER trying to explain why you were naked doing it.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
You guys stay at home dads or stay at home contractors?
I changed a light bulb last week.
I changed SIX yesterday - in a chandelier no less. I'm Polish and had no backup do that's a major accomplishment. I had to get up a ladder and hop up and down to turn it. I'm lucky I didn't hang myself!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Seriously, though - when I think about how I was able to hang a ceiling fan all on my own in our master bedroom which has a vaulted ceiling I think I'm justified in patting myself on the back.

You guys remember my crapper kluge from a couple years ago too, right?

By the way, I just talked to my FIL and he had a great idea about how to keep Justin from opening up the double hung windows: wood screws drilled only part way through the frame and in the wall stud so that they act as stops. It's so simple it's ingenious since this is how the window frame is mounted anyway.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Just Dad

Cool, Kwak.

Bam! Finished my filter return yesterday. Happy.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Garbage disposal wasn't working anymore. Picked up a new one, took out the old one, noticed the black wire was loose. Reconnected it. Old one works again! I can return the new one. I fixed something and saved $100.