Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviomossa View Post
Got distracted, but I finally finished Emma. Austen is great, one of the classic authors that I've always missed. I have about ten books to choose from for my next read. I hate the time between finishing one and starting another. Intellectual/Creative thirst limbo.

I haven't read Austen in a long time. And I agree that the limbo time sucks. I jumped from Outliers into a horrible HP Lovecraft book (still trying to figure out why I finished it) and now I'm reading Friedman's "The Next 100 Years." Obviously, you have to take it all with a grain of salt, but it's interesting when analyzing geopolitical trends.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Trophy Husband

Finally finished "One Minute To Midnight" by Michael Dobbs. It is a recent book about the Cuban Missile Crisis that included some newly disclosed documents, subplots and photos. Holy crap! I am certain that the only reason the world was not thrown into a nuclear apocalypse was dumb luck on all sides.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Always Irritated

Just finished Vonnegut's the Siren's of Titan. It was good, but I liked Player Piano better. I'm going to read another of his next, not sure which, but I really enjoy his humor.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Clueless, but charming...

I'm a little behind on this thread...

Malcolm Gladwell has a couple of other books, one of which I've read, several times, "The Tipping Point", which explores the way that ideas, or products go viral, while others flounder. The topics he explores range from Sesame Street and Blue's Clue's to suicide in the South Pacific, to the dramatic drop in violent crime that began with cleaning subway cars of their graffiti. It was fascinating to me as an off and on student of business, and as a would-be entrepreneur.
He also wrote a book called Blink, which has been in my queue since a good friend recommended it repeatedly. For what it's worth...

If you enjoy some fun fiction, you've gotta read Christopher Moore. Just do it, he's awesome, irreverent, funny and crass. He has influenced my foul language in amazing ways, my favorite new phrase is douche-waffle.
Some of his titles include:

Lamb; or The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend
The Stupidest Angel, A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror
Practical Demonkeeping
The Lust-Lizard of Meloncholy Cove
Island of the Sequined Love Nun
Fluke
Bloodsucking Fiends
You Suck, a Love Story
A Dirty Job
Coyote Blue

I have read them all and highly recommend each and every one. He's just released a new one called Fool, which I'm waiting for from the library, I'll be sure to let y'all know how awesome this one is.

No, I do not receive any royalties from Chris Moore, he's just a great author, maybe I have a slight man-crush...
Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm with you, Taoistfrog. Very few authors make me laugh out loud while I read. Moore is one of them.
Haven't been to the bookstore lately, I'll definitely pick up "Fool" at my next visit. (Bookstores are dangerous places for me, I can quickly drop a ton of money.)

"The world is full of guys. Don't be a guy; be a man."

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club."
Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao95 View Post
Just finished Vonnegut's the Siren's of Titan. It was good, but I liked Player Piano better. I'm going to read another of his next, not sure which, but I really enjoy his humor.
I really enjoyed "Deadeye Dick"
Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Always Irritated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sdad View Post
I really enjoyed "Deadeye Dick"
I've looked at that one before and thought about getting it, I'll get it next now. I also saw a lecture he had given that someone transcribed, looking through it in the bookstore, it looked pretty good.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Hooked on Quack

If you like WWII stories, The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of WWII's Most Decorated Platoon is a good read.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Huh?

Just checked out 'Liberty and Tyranny' by Mark Levin from the library. Can't wait to dive into it.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:43 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Almost through with Pete Slosberg's Ber for Pete's Sake. It's an autobiography of the guy who started Pete's Brewing Company. It's interesting. More so now that he's completely out of brewing and into chocolate now.