Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Diaper Jockey

Mark....Did you get your tickets for David Wright's farewell start on the 29th? I'm not a fan of the farewell tours, a la Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, and David Ortiz, but I think this is pretty cool. Good for him. Classy of the Mets. Let the fans see him one more time. A lot of people think the "one day contracts" so players who played most of their career with one team can "retire as a....." is a bit hokey as well, but I like that too!

The Brewers sucked me in to season ticket package for next year with the promise of playoff tickets for this season. Got 20 games for next year and a ticket to every playoff game this season that is played in Milwaukee. Four game lead for the first Wild Card, only 1.5 behind the Cubs for the division. Shit's gettn' real!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Go Brewers. The Pirates havenít mattered since...what was I talking about again?

Just kidding. The Pittsburgh fan base has been boycotting the team. Attendance is down to around 8K on weeknight games. My wife scorns whenever I even mention the team.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Trophy Husband

GBDad, not a fanatic of David Wright. Nice e solid ball player for a number of years. Never grabbed the team by the balls. Had the Mets kept Reyes over Wright ( could not afford both) and kept Justin Turner instead I believe things would have been a little different. Wright's back and other injuries have been going on for 3 years or more. It's like he retired 3 years ago and by not doing so has been like toilet paper on the Mets shoe. They could not make major plans until he left. Coming to the stadium 6 plus hours to prep physically for a game every game is rediculous. A normal comeback was never going to happen. Nice young man who represented the Org. well but I have a hard time watching guys like him cry at press conferences with $75 million in the bank. Just my opinion.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Diaper Jockey

Six games left! Brew Crew has a 2 game lead over the Cards for the first wild card spot. Three game set starts in St. Louis tonight. JUST DON'T GET SWEPT!!! Winning two out of three probably best case scenario. Have to at least win 1 to maintain a 1 game lead over the Cards. Cards finish up in Chicago, who should still have the division on the line. Brewers finish at home against the Tigers who have lost 93 games. Nothing guaranteed but this sets up well in the Brewers favor.

Win one in St. Louis and take care of the Tigers. That's the plan! Of course you could sweep the Cardinals and take the weekend off, but I don't see that happening.

Just heard on the radio as I type this that the Brewers are making a desperate move. Scratched Chase Anderson from the start tonight. Has some first inning problems but ultimately has been pretty effective. Curious. Cards are rolling. Brewers playing well but seem to be a little paranoid. Just play your game!

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 09-27-2018, 01:40 AM
Trophy Husband

Jacob DeGrom! WOW!
Old 09-27-2018, 04:10 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Jacob DeGrom! WOW!
He may have won the Cy Young last night as he now has a winning record. If he was .500 or less, think he would have lost a lot of votes. Not his fault he doesn't have more wins, but don't see a sub-.500 pitcher ever winning it.

Brew Crew Baby!!! Was just hoping to get out of St. Louis with 1 win and a 1 game lead for the wild card. How about a sweep and playoff berth?! Thought right away it was funny that they were spraying Miller beer all over the visitor's clubhouse as "Busch" Stadium, but didn't think much beyond that. They were actually talking about it on the radio this morning that Budweiser has a contract as the "Official Beer of Major League Baseball." Then they got confirmation that that's only for Postseason celebrations. So guess the team from Milwaukee will have chug Bud in future celebrations should they occur.

One of the hosts mentioned how they were dumping beer on Bob Uecker during the celebration. "Think if Uke gets Bud dumped on him he'll burst into flames?" Another guy, "Nope! Not happening. Knowing Uke, contract be damned, he'll take it upon himself to roll in a pallet of Miller Lite to the Brewers clubhouse!"

Go Brewers!

Red Smith
Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Trophy Husband

Not so sure about a winning record for a pitcher being that important for a Cy Young award winner if his starts and inning pitched iare right up there with others. The guy gets no run support. The guy has pitched under tremendous pressure all year due to that.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Trophy Husband

Down go the Cubbbies! Oh well. BTW, the low budget Tampa Bay Rays won 90 games this year in the A.L. East. Hmmm, maybe it wasn't Madden who was the alleged genius when he managed there and had similar results. I guess his locker room gimmicks are fading fast.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Diaper Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Down go the Cubbbies! Oh well. BTW, the low budget Tampa Bay Rays won 90 games this year in the A.L. East. Hmmm, maybe it wasn't Madden who was the alleged genius when he managed there and had similar results. I guess his locker room gimmicks are fading fast.
He...he...he...he!!! On one hand, I kind of wanted another shot at the Cubs and really make them lick their wounds by the Brewers beating them twice. And, I have some playoff tickets to resell that would have been worth a lot more against the Cubs. On the other hand, it would be a long off season if the Cubs beat the Brewers in the NLDS.

Maddon is a decent manager. But when he's won, he's had some pretty darn good teams, obviously you need a good team to win. They still won 95 games and if the Brewers didn't get white hot in September, the Cubs would have walked away with the division. So the fact that Cubs fans are calling for his head is interesting. Also, funny to hear all of the talk of "the better team doesn't always win," therefore the need for a 3 game Wild Card playoff. The Cubs have the names. But save Baez over Arcia, look at the numbers, and go position by position, and every single Brewers player is having a better season than their Cubs counterpart. Cubs have a rotation advantage. Brewers bullpen in hands down better. So at the very least, they're fairly evenly matched as the records would show, and at least for this year, especially right now, the Brewers are the better team.

Taking the kids to Friday's game. Only way I'm guaranteed to get to a playoff game. No one willing or able to pick the kids up from school on Friday. So they'll miss school and go to the game. Bought extra tickets for Friday during the season ticket holder presale in case this happened.

Red Smith
Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Wait...they still play baseball in October? Here in Pittsburgh the season ends in August - even after they won 98 games back in 2013.

Man, I wish the owners would sell the team. Mario Lemieux even offered to buy the team but MLB is so corrupt with its profit sharing for "small market teams" clearing a profit regardless of slumping ticket sales, media contracts and the taxpayers still footing the bill for PNC Park that Bob Nutting is laughing all the way to the bank - and still telling us that if we just buy more tickets maybe he'll put more money into payroll, as well as chiding us when we turn our backs on the team for not producing results.

Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007