Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Just Dad

What's with the wire at the bottom of the right cabinet?

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 12-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I already cut a hole in the bottom of the new cabinet and have one of those external outlets that I was going to mount to the inside of the cabinet. I'm just ticked at the crappy workmanship that went into the building of my house. The gash is too big to put your basic 2-cage in. Did I mention that I hate working with electrical stuff?

OT: yesterday I went to remove the old hard-wired doorbell (that I thought was on a dead circuit BTW) and replace it with a battery-powered wireless doorbell. Naturally, the mounting screws were all corroded after 24 years so I had to basically break the doorbell, exposing the contacts. I don't know how I didn't get electrocuted because when I went to clip the wires the damned doorbell rang - then I shorted out the doorbell once and for all, leaving this nasty smell in my house which I didn't discover until hours later after the sun had set. It was a royal PITA killing the power (naturally the circuit isn't marked so I had to trip the master breaker) in order to remove the old doorbell and secure the exposed wires. The biggest obstacle was keeping my autistic son from running out the front door 6yo and little brother (who I'm convinced has ADHD) waving the flashlight around like a strobe light.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Just Dad

Get one of these, please, if any of you guys so much as change a light switch or cable or phone jack. Advice from a guy that's had more than a few very painful volts pass through him.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...N#.UqH5u9GA1hF

Kwak, if you don't have one, I will gladly send you one.

I use these almost exclusively when doing electrical work. I only use my multi-meter these days when I'm working in a mixed or multi-circuit box.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Just Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I already cut a hole in the bottom of the new cabinet and have one of those external outlets that I was going to mount to the inside of the cabinet. I'm just ticked at the crappy workmanship that went into the building of my house. The gash is too big to put your basic 2-cage in. Did I mention that I hate working with electrical stuff?

OT: yesterday I went to remove the old hard-wired doorbell (that I thought was on a dead circuit BTW) and replace it with a battery-powered wireless doorbell. Naturally, the mounting screws were all corroded after 24 years so I had to basically break the doorbell, exposing the contacts. I don't know how I didn't get electrocuted because when I went to clip the wires the damned doorbell rang - then I shorted out the doorbell once and for all, leaving this nasty smell in my house which I didn't discover until hours later after the sun had set. It was a royal PITA killing the power (naturally the circuit isn't marked so I had to trip the master breaker) in order to remove the old doorbell and secure the exposed wires. The biggest obstacle was keeping my autistic son from running out the front door 6yo and little brother (who I'm convinced has ADHD) waving the flashlight around like a strobe light.
Get a LED "head light". Remember when wiring the outlet, that the hot/black wire goes to the side of the outlet with the small flat prong.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, I got one somewhere. I think it's buried in my toolbox. It was stupid of me not to have grabbed it but I'm not even close to being organized.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 PM
New Daddy

Beautiful cedar cabinet. Actually I made a surprise with my wife with a butlers pantry made with a cedar wood, It really looks cool. She always complains that we lack storage in the kitchen since she loves to cook and bake. You could visit this website where I found a great deal and find my inspiration as well when making the pantry.