Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Diaper Jockey

Default Goldfish?

Okay....So for her birthday our 6 year old wanted a pet goldfish. I'm not a dog person (I know, un-American, but I don't like dogs), don't want to deal with a cat hair and litter, so alright, we'll get you a fish. I know they're a lot of work with water changes and everything else so it's not like I thought it was get it and forget it pet.

Bought the tank on Saturday and got it all set up according to the instructions given us by the pet store. Sunday, got the fish. Monday morning after watching a lethargic fish just kind of hang there, I got the water tested. Water was perfect. Monday afternoon, fish number one was floating on the top of the tank. Had water tested again - perfect. Pet store gave us (had us buy) "Stress Coat" to add to the tank and said to let that circulated through the tank for a day before getting another fish. Tuesday, tested water - perfect, and got fish number two. Never acted as lethargic as the first one but by Wednesday afternoon wasn't looking good. Did some reading and the usual stuff - check your water, don't overfeed/underfeed, water temperature, etc. Also saw how an abrupt change in the fish's food can really stress them out. Went to the store and they gave me the food they feed them in the store. Initially they had us get one that was on clearance. They said that goldfish are aggressive feeders, something we never noticed. Dropped some of the new food in and the fish attacked it. Now we're on to something. Hasn't been attacking the food since but seems to be eating it eventually. Seems to be more active now as well. But still, spends most of its time in one bottom corner behind the coral - a sign of stress.

Anyone have any experience with goldfish? Tips? Tricks? If this one dies the wife is ready to punt on the fish experiment. We spent a lot of money on the tank and everything though so I'm not ready to give up yet.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

You really need to have the tank cycle first. Do you have some kind of gravel or something on the bottom? It has to build a colony of good bacteria, basically. That's what stress coat and the other stuff (it's been too long since I've ran a tank, flaking on the name) helps with, too.
After that, I need more details. Size of tank, temp etc. I'm certain when you bought the fish they told you to put the bag in the tank to slowly acclimate the fish to it's new temp so it's not thermal shock.

I'm digging in the back of my head for more help! Good luck!

Oh, probably some of my background would help. For 10 years we had a 150gal tank in our dining room, some of those years we also had a 29gal. All freshwater. Another 10 years in our new house with the 29. Now we have a small 1gal beta tank.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

We got 2 in a tank. They are fine. Feed the a couple every other day. It's a 10 gallon tank. Keep 3 gallons of water, at room temp to top off and change with. Keep them out of the sunny window. It's the wife's job to change the water and clean the tank. My job to clean up her mess and say, "yes dear."
Quit staring at them. Your freaking then out. Don't tap the glass.

Last edited by irie feeling; 06-14-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Api QuickStart
Allows instant addition of fish
Limits ammonia & nitrite
Helps prevent fish loss
Immediately starts aquarium cycle
Contains live nitrifying bacteria
All natural
It's a liquid
Maybe this is why are fish are always ok.
When the power goes out for like a week and we leave, they still alive when we come back.

Last edited by irie feeling; 06-15-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Trophy Husband

When did raising goldfish get so hard? My brother's daughter won a goldfish at a local fair and it came in a goblet size glass. He figured it would be dead in a week. It lived in said goblet glass on the kitchen counter for over 5 years!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Our oldest got a 5 gallon tank for Christmas. It went through two goldfish until one person at the pet store basically said goldfish generally prefer larger tanks and that some just want do well if “confined” in a smaller tank. So we switched to a small school of neons. Those little buggers have been going strong since March.

Just need to deal with the algae that’s slowly building up now.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
When did raising goldfish get so hard? My brother's daughter won a goldfish at a local fair and it came in a goblet size glass. He figured it would be dead in a week. It lived in said goblet glass on the kitchen counter for over 5 years!
This stupid beta has been living WAY past what we expected, too. It's tank is nasty because my daughter doesn't clean it and I forget about it because it's in her room.
Our friend got a fancy beta tank and he managed to kill five of them in succession.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Diaper Jockey

Thanks all! Think we're getting on the right track. Fish seems to be doing better. Doing a lot more swimming and getting out of its corner. Eating.

Got a 10 gallon tank. One common goldfish. Fish tank gravel on the bottom. Fake coral and a fake plant. Filter. They had us "cycle" the tank with "Prime" and an aquarium bacteria. Only overnight though so I'm wondering if it didn't filter through enough. Read in some places that you should do this for up to a week or more. Added the "Stress Coat" after the first fish died. Think changing the fish food to the one they use in the store helped too.

Funny....when I quit teaching to stay home my students gave me a small fish tank with 5 small fish in it as an homage to the TV show Shark Tank - which has 5 investor "sharks." Was kind of into it at first but then a week after school ended our daughter was born and try as I might for about a month, as neglected as they were, those damn fish wouldn't die. Never did any of this stuff. Water directly from the tap. No additives. No filter. Just kept going.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 06-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Api QuickStart
Allows instant addition of fish
Limits ammonia & nitrite
Helps prevent fish loss
Immediately starts aquarium cycle
Contains live nitrifying bacteria
All natural.
This is a product.
It's a water preparation. We are on well water. Makes it good for the fish.

Last edited by irie feeling; 06-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.