Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Diaper Jockey

With the baseball season on hold, those of us diehard fanatics who were counting down the days until opening day, still need our fix. So here's what I've read, or will be reading in the coming weeks until hopefully the games get going sooner rather than later.

"For the Good of the Game" by Bud Selig - I realize that a lot of people have what I feel is an unjustified negative view of the man, but hopefully through reading this memoir detailing the struggles faced in changing the economics of baseball and dealing with the players' union in trying to rid the game of steroids, people can see the other side. I know people feel he should have just had everyone pee in a cup, if you tested positive, you're done, let's play ball. This book shows why that just wasn't possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Game-Sur.../dp/0062905953

"Ballpark - Baseball in the American City" by Paul Goldberg - Haven't gotten into this one yet, but as a fan of architecture and especially ballparks, this will be my next read.

https://www.amazon.com/Ballpark-Base...s%2C220&sr=1-1

"Summer Baseball Nation: Nine Days in the Wood Bat Leagues" by Will Geoghegan - A look at America's summer collegiate baseball leagues. This is a brand of baseball I have really grown to love. We have a team here in GB in Northwoods League, one of the top summer wood bat leagues in the country and one of the leagues the author visited for the book. These leagues will take on added importance this year with the cancellation of the college seasons.

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Baseba...s=books&sr=1-1

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Diaper Jockey

FYI......As an indicator of what the folks at MLB might be thinking. The first in my e-Tickets for my Brewers ticket package that is not marked "Postponed" at this point is Sunday, May 24. Which happens to be Memorial Day Weekend. If possible, would probably make sense to start the season with the regularly scheduled games on Friday, May 22.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith