Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2020, 01:20 AM
Trophy Husband

The AWD Pilot is a great choice. Take care of it and 200K miles is going to happen.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:08 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
The AWD Pilot is a great choice. Take care of it and 200K miles is going to happen.
We got the Oddity to 120K miles over 11 years so I don't doubt this Pilot will last us at least as long. I don't think we even paid $28K for the Odyssey because it's the base model LX. They quoted $1300 on the trade because it needs work. We'll take what we can get; we got our money's worth out of it.

Meanwhile, they sold the blue Pilot EX-L the other day so we're waiting for them to get another in stock. They tried to sell us on the Special Edition for $600 more but I didn't like it. If I'm going to drive it as long as my last vehicle I don't want to settle. We should be picking it up early in the week.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-26-2020, 02:02 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
We got the Oddity to 120K miles over 11 years so I don't doubt this Pilot will last us at least as long. I don't think we even paid $28K for the Odyssey because it's the base model LX. They quoted $1300 on the trade because it needs work. We'll take what we can get; we got our money's worth out of it.

Meanwhile, they sold the blue Pilot EX-L the other day so we're waiting for them to get another in stock. They tried to sell us on the Special Edition for $600 more but I didn't like it. If I'm going to drive it as long as my last vehicle I don't want to settle. We should be picking it up early in the week.

Kwak, if you are buying new don't sit at one dealer. A dealer 50 miles away will deliver the exact car you want and won't quibble over $1200 for the trade. You can help get a better deal this way. If you go to one of the many new car websites and tell them what you want you will wake up to a lot of competitive offers in your email box. The worst you can do is use them against your local dealer.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Too late. The wife handles the money and already put money down. I told her I was fine with walking away but she pressed the issue.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Too late. The wife handles the money and already put money down. I told her I was fine with walking away but she pressed the issue.

Its never too late until you sign the final cush cars ontract. Cmon man! Dealers always push cars on their lot. They have regional deoots they can draw on so tou can get exactly what you want. Not sure what the laws are in yiur state but here the big scam is mandatory etching of VIN numbers on car windows with a price tag around $300. Turns oit it is not mandatory in CT. I got scammed on that yeaes ago.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Its never too late until you sign the final cush cars ontract. Cmon man! Dealers always push cars on their lot. They have regional deoots they can draw on so tou can get exactly what you want. ...
Yes, I understand that. I've been rooked before. I wasn't going to pay $600 more for another vehicle when they sold the one we were interested in. I told them as much. My wife was getting swayed by things like having a roof rack and one of those wireless cell phone charger bays but I told her not to get distracted. She thinks I was balking on the color but really I know in these things if you give an inch they take a foot.

BTW, I've been talking with porschephile about this offline. He's helped a bunch of us out over the years and he crunched the numbers on the vehicle that I was interested in; I sent him a link. He figured in the fees based on zip code and even then the price he quoted was actually slightly higher than the one we were given by the dealer.

My only disappointment is on the trade. I was hoping to get about $400 more for it, but in all honesty it's in "rough" shape and I was looking at putting at least $1000 into it just to get it to pass inspection.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I got a good chunk of the backer board cut to fit some of the tighter spots. That cheap table saw is worth twice what I paid for it and things are going much more smoothly this time around because the floor is level. Still, my wife is grumbling that her bathroom is only halfway done - but in all honesty it's a two person job.

BTW, even though I'm wearing gloves and using a gripper to carry the 3X5 boards up and down the stairs it's still hard on the hands. I'm feeling it in my joints.
Old Today, 12:36 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The backer board is all cut to fit. The sub floor is leveled but the backer boards aren't screwed down yet. I want to start arranging and dry fitting the tiles so I can mark where I need to cut them. I have to rent a tile saw and the devil is in the details; experience tells me I need to measure at least twice before I cut.

I'm also happy how the holes for the floor duct and toilet flange came out. This is going so much more smoothly than the other bathroom.

Old Today, 06:15 PM
Trophy Husband

Looks like you got it all under control! Like the tile and I love the Ryobi drill you have. I have a number of ryobi tools with the interchangable batteries.