Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Doesn't anyone else read around here?!
I read lots, just seems most people around here read biographies or histories and I donít read those terribly often. I probably should more, but after reading the news most mornings reality ceases to interest me.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:52 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Doesn't anyone else read around here?!

Just finished Protecting the President by Dan Bongino. As a former Secret Service agent that moved up the ranks to Presidential Protection duty he gave pretty good insight as to the working and short comings of the Department. They are pathetically overworked and understaffed and stuck in a "that's the way we have always done it" cycle that could lead to a disaster.
I am terrible about adding on to this. My goal for this year is to read at least 1 book a month. So far I am ahead of schedule and am averaging 2/month. Hardest part is finding something to read. Here is my list so far this year.

I am currently reading "Red Sparrow'" It is a modern day spy novel that is really good. I saw it was being made into a movie and wanted to check it out- glad I did.

Just finished books 1 and 2 of Ken Follett's Century Triology= "Fall of Giants" and Winter of the World.
There are several key families / characters that he follows through from the turn of the 1900's through the end of WWII. Both are very long reads but were enjoyable.

Grey Mountain by John Grisham. About a hotshot young lawyer who is laid off during financial crisis and is forced to take a furlough and work pro-bono. Ends up in VA coal country. This was a quick read and very entertaining.

Outlander Book 1. I had seen the commercials for this series on Starz and was curious. I was in between books and it was available for check out. It wasn't bad but had a little bit of the romance novel writing written into the historical fiction.

I have started and almost finished The Lost City of the Monkey God. So far it is the only book that I have not finished that I started this year. It is about the search for a lost civilization in Honduras.
Thanks Mark for keeping this thread going-

Last edited by 757dad; 02-28-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Beach Daddy

Keeping Mark and I's thread alive-
Just finished Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance. It is a memoir of sort written about his time growing up in Kentucky and Ohio and the problems facing Appalachia and how he made it out. It was a really interesting look a region of the country that is slowly falling apart and the many inconsistencies that come out of there.

Also finished Dragonfly in Amber (2nd book in the Outlander series)

Finished Red Sparrow which was a really fun read. On the waiting list for the second book.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:24 AM
New Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
Also finished Dragonfly in Amber (2nd book in the Outlander series).
How was this book? My wife was into it (and watched the show) and I got a very woman oriented vibe around it.

Dad jokes to help pass the day.

Last edited by GamerDadOfFour; 05-01-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDadOfFour View Post
How was this book? My wife was into it (and watched the show) and I got a very woman oriented vibe around it.
The first book was a little too romance novel for my taste. I was in between books and needed something that I could check out from the library while I waited on the other books I had on hold.

The second book is more historical fiction and less romance novel but still not exactly my cup of tea.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
I read lots, just seems most people around here read biographies or histories and I donít read those terribly often. I probably should more, but after reading the news most mornings reality ceases to interest me.
What do you read? I am always looking for book titles to explore. I really enjoy reading but am terrible at finding something to read. Usually just scan the available now on the overdrive app for our library.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
What do you read? I am always looking for book titles to explore. I really enjoy reading but am terrible at finding something to read. Usually just scan the available now on the overdrive app for our library.
Outside of books on beer history and brewing, I tend to read science fiction and some fantasy. Sometimes I just like brain to wander far far away from the real world.

Lately I've been rereading books I have because I haven't been to a bookstore, or library in awhile... at some point soon I should look for something new.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Rigor Mortis" By Richard Harris. Basically it goes into how bad science is wasting billions of dollars on trying to find cures for diseases due to sloppy work and biased results being reported and published with a vast majority of those findings later on being found to be totally false and unrepeatable. We are screwed.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Just finished "Rigor Mortis" By Richard Harris. Basically it goes into how bad science is wasting billions of dollars on trying to find cures for diseases due to sloppy work and biased results being reported and published with a vast majority of those findings later on being found to be totally false and unrepeatable. We are screwed.
Sounds like one hell of a read!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
I'm not surprised. Our medical system was hijacked by big business a long time ago. With the insurance agencies and lawyers driving the costs up we're all screwed several times over.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007