Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
DaddybyDefault

Default WTF - Football Ticket Prices

Every year my wife and I got to four or five steelers games. She's from pittsburgh and her family are rabid fans. We usually travel to nearby places to see them. Here in TN of course, Philly, Pitt, we've even seen then in Seattle, AZ, and San Fran.

But ticket prices are getting f'n ridiculous. you can't go to a game anymore without paying $200 per ticket. Someone posted today on twitter, jokingly, that they were tyring to get tickets to a game and had to take out a loan. Funny, but seriously, with this strike B.s. i have no doubt ticket prices will go even further into the stratosphere.

I used to be a guy that would yell at the ticket price complainers. Suck it up, I would say. If you don't like going to the game just stay home and watch on directv. I do watch on Directv, saves a ton of money from going to bars, but these ticket prices are crazy.

Sorry for the rant.

Anyone else feel that way too?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Nope. Supply and demand. It makes the world go round. Yeah it sucks in some ways. At least you can afford it. What about the family who does not have disposable income and may not even have TV. Really sucks for them.

Remember. There are only like 8 home games in the season or whatever. Add some playoff games for teams like the Carolina Panthers. But with that few of opportunity to see a game that commands a premium as far as price. Whereas in baseball there are about 230 home games a season so prices can be more modest. Most places are empty anyways. Not usually the case in football. Even crappy teams seem to draw the fans. It's big. It's like football for the rest of the World. It IS the sport here in the US.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 PM
DaddybyDefault

Default Ticket prices

Believe me, I get the numbers of it.

Football stadiums today have between 75,000 and 100,000 seats, while most baseball stadiums have between 30,000 and 60,000, and of course there are more baseball games. So football has to get that dollar when they can.

I'm just saying it sucks they're so expensive because its fun to watch live.

It's funny though, because Hockey is a great live sport too, and relatively cheap here in the states, but super expensive in Canada. Almost like football tix.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Canadad

Send a message via MSN to Neodaddy Send a message via Skype™ to Neodaddy

That's cause they all have to build ridiculous stadiums. I first watched the Blue Jays at the open-air Exhibition Stadium. $2 for the bleachers. Build a giant stupid Skydome and now only the rich can afford it. Stupid.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Canadad

Send a message via MSN to Neodaddy Send a message via Skype™ to Neodaddy

And it wouldn't piss me off at all if PRIVATE money was used exclusively for these monstrosities. When my tax money is used to build these temples of decadence, it does piss me off when I can't afford to go worship in them.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

$200 a ticket? Are you buying them off stub hub? If not look for tickets in the upper bowl of the stadiums. If you are looking for Steeler tickets strictly those are a big draw so the price generally goes up for teams like that coming in. In a normal year, try planning what games you want to see when the season comes out and try to buy when the teams make single game tickets available. Not an easy task as most of these sell out within minutes. Depends on the team. I was able to get cheap tickets not long ago in San Francisco when the Eagles played there. Getting tickets in Washington was tough, but I had a buddy with season tickets. You can always chance it and just show up. The price starts to drop the closer to kick off. Scalpers aren't the only ones that have tickets on gameday. Show up early and hit up the tailgaters.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
DaddybyDefault

Default Ticket prices

thankfully we have friends and family with steelers tix, so we usually get those for free. We've been on the season tix list for about 8 years, no call yet, and my wife went to high school with charlie batch, so i don't think we'll be getting a season pass anytime soon.

but i agree with neo. The tax dollar thing is a bit annoying too, but I do like watching baseball in the new stadium seating reclining seats with dual cup holders and extra leg room.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
It's beer:30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddybyDefault View Post
Anyone else feel that way too?
Yep, I do. I just wont buy tickets to Bears games. It's ridiculous. I'd much rather watch football at home anyway. I always feel out of place at Bears games, not being totally shit-faced by noon on a Sunday and all, way over the top fans standing up and screaming on every down, even the 1-yard bursts by the fullback. Great times, let me tell ya.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Yep, I do. I just wont buy tickets to Bears games. It's ridiculous. I'd much rather watch football at home anyway. I always feel out of place at Bears games, not being totally shit-faced by noon on a Sunday and all, way over the top fans standing up and screaming on every down, even the 1-yard bursts by the fullback. Great times, let me tell ya.
I wouldn't be a Bears fan either.

TV is so good now adays, why bother, unless it's a College game. Those are fun.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I prefer to sit in comfort on a sofa, with some chips and dip, in the warmth of my house and occasionally pat the dog on the head, and tell the wife how pretty she is, and relax on Sundays in the winter.

Tags
football, nfl, sports, steelers, ticket prices