Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah. Bummer for them, but at least the pictures aren't gone. They just decided they wanted to SPAM everybody who took advantage of their generosity.

FWIW I downloaded all the pictures and posted them elsewhere. Fixing the old links would be a real PITA and the dates are all jumbled in what I have so I also need to reorganize. Here's a link to the album on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/150947981@N05/Ei53Ze
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-14-2017, 11:09 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Been awhile since you posted Kwak, I always check out your updates.

I stumbled across this video and thought of this thread, probably old hat to you but a great look at an iconic instrument

Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, Willy bought old trigger in 1969 after a drunk stumbled into his previous guitar. He saved it and a pound a weed from a house fire.

On a related note, an icon at C.F. Martin & Co. up in Nazareth is set to retire. Dick Boak wore many hats there for 40 years but ironically he got the job after being discovered dumpster diving for wood scraps.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/articl...martin-guitars

Nowadays, Martin maintains a separate store front where they sell "rejected" parts and pieces in their original factory several blocks away in residential Nazareth, PA. During my visit last October instead of looking for the dumpster, I paid this "Guitar Makers Connection" a visit. I don't know if this store was Boak's idea but I'm thankful and have to say that the two women who run the store are very helpful indeed!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm trying to get this project back in gear now that the wainscoting thing is nearing completion. Today I sat down at the dining room table (the kitchen table is still too rickety) and cut out little side braces for the body of the guitar:

I had to take the sides out of the mold (or 'mould' if you're using the Queen's English) in order to clamp the braces on but since they're in area that doesn't get much stress I was able to pull the clamps off. This is a little risky because there's really nothing but the properties of the rosewood too keep its shape and I wanted to try and test fit the neck. So I put it back in the mold and broke out my chisel in order to take off a little extra on the tenon on the neck and voila! it slipped in with slight resistance:

I didn't really have to do that at this point since the body should live in the mold so that I can get the top and back on, but once that's done it will have to live in its case in preparation of the annual drop in humidity once the heat kicks on:

So today after I stain the deck I'm going to flip the body over and make notches in the top of the kerfing lining so that my spruce soundboard locks in. Once that's done I'll nearly be ready to "close the box." The plan is to glue on the back first, which will make the assembly into something that luthiers call "the boat."
Old 10-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Here's a little update on things:

1: I'm getting the sides ready to accept the top and back. That involves marking where the ends of the braces intersect with the sides and cutting grooves to "lock them together." Since the bracing for the upper bout is what they call an "A" Frame and I have an extension on the neck block to support the portion of the fretboard that extends over the body of the guitar I've had to get creative in order to mark where to cut grooves there. I ended up using charcoal to mark, then use a pull saw to cut on either side down to the desired depth before finally using a 1/4" chisel to rout away the material by hand - as opposed to just using power tools, which I have had a hard time controlling.

I made similar notches made in various places to admit the brace ends, using an exacto knife to notch on either side in similar fashion before doing the pull saw/chisel method. Most came out cleanly,

some did not:

In the end though, the overall fit is secure so that I can dry fit all the pieces and fit them in the case for storage:

Not a moment too soon. With the change of weather the furnace has kicked on and the RH will soon be plummeting. With the pieces in the case, I can keep them properly hydrated and monitor the levels:

BTW, the case is not a "snug" fit even though it appears to be in these photos. That's because there's about 3/4" of extra material that extends beyond the sides. Once everything is glued up I will be chiseling/routing away the excess. Don't worry about the notched for the ends of the braces showing through, though. After that I have to rout/chisel channels to glue decorative/protective body binding to cover/protect that area. THAT is a difficult process that has me nervous.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 AM
Autistic.

always happy to see this Kwak. I was thinking about this project when I decided the best way to go for an electric bass was custom with parts I source myself. Starting with the neck as Ive found that it is not just sligthly cheaper but better quality. I picked up this rig last year for a mere $350. All original SWR before Fender bought them and phased them out. https://www.instagram.com/p/BEieU3Wl...miancrowleyart