Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2019, 05:12 PM
Diaper Jockey

Default Cursive Writing?

As someone who spent 13 years teaching high school, I know that cursive writing is something that started being phased out quite some time ago. A lot of school districts don't teach it at all anymore. Well....some Wisconsin lawmakers want to change that:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/commu...ls/3853995002/

The argument of the guy pushing this is that kids should be able to sign their names in cursive and read the Declaration of Independence. Also, it stimulates a part of the brain that printing doesn't. Okay? So we're going to sacrifice instructional time in other areas, that are probably more important, to take the DeLorean back to 1955 Penmanship class?

You don't need to sign your name in cursive. You can draw a picture of Mickey Mouse as long as it indicates your agreement to whatever is being signed.

Full text of the DOI - http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

There's got to be something more useful that stimulates the area of the brain that cursive writing does.

Do your schools teach cursive? Should they? I don't think the Green Bay schools do anymore. We have PT conferences tomorrow night so I'll be sure to ask.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM
Trophy Husband

The schools in VA pushed cursive hard when we lived there. My son "has the best cursive of any boy I have aver had" according to his grade school teacher. He has since evolved into chicken scratch.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I wish cursive writing was the only style we taught. We started with printing. My wife, being the computer in your face generation, had never had the chance to write much much, they went right into notes in private that teachers , professors never cared to see, and then electronic device note keeping. She could give a damn about cursive script.
We disagree.
I introduced the alphabet. We are "in" 4th grade. Observed Columbus Day, now she has a fever and is taking another day off.
Now that I think about it, I might say, Everything you write from now on has to be cursive."
Of course Mom would would flip out on me.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Cursive writing is a practical form of the economy of motion. Stressing legibility in cursive writing is an exercise in common courtesy. The way I see it, knowing how to write cursively is crucial when signing your name - especially on input devices that lack a certain degree of sensitivity.

Yesterday we had a meeting about Justin that required we make a digital signature on a foldable laptop with a touch screen that quite frankly is horribly unresponsive. You get one chance to make a mark or else you're now scrolling the screen. If you lift up your finger you're pretty much done so you have to really focus on writing cursively.

It's not like cursive is hard as learning calligraphy, but I can tell you that it's more than just in the wrist; you have to use you elbow and even shoulder sometimes. If your hand is cramping up you're doing it wrong.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Diaper Jockey

So I asked last night at parent teacher conferences and the GB schools do in fact still teach cursive, however, "not to a mastery level." So basically, to the point of signing one's name. To which I say, don't tell me a kid is behind in reading or math if you're going to use any significant amount of instruction time teaching an antiquated writing style. Not totally sure when I quit writing in cursive but I know all of my college notes are in printing. I get the sentimentality of it but it's no longer practical. Those pushing it here keep bringing up the signing your name argument. Doesn't matter if you sign in cursive, print, make your mark, or whatever, the signature is just as valid. My wife's first and last name combined contains 14 letters. Her signature is two loops I can cover with a dime, yet every medical document she's ever signed in 100% valid. She essentially "makes her mark." Shorthand used to be a mandatory class in schools as a fast way to take notes or dictation. Once upon a time it was a life skill. Things change. Here's a good one, I haven't the first clue about it, but I'm certified to teach it in the State of Wisconsin.

Anyway, our roads are crumbling, we have an opioid epidemic, each week a dozen kids are admitted to Children's Hospital with vaping related lung injuries, and there's at least 20 murders a month in Milwaukee but this is the crusade our lawmakers are undertaking.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith