Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

At night I tinker on my guitar builds. I started working on the headstock of a new build over the summer. Last month I put on a ziricote headstock. Two weeks ago I drilled holes for the tuning machines and cut out a channel for a preshaped and slotted nut that I bought online. Last night I reamed the holes to size and this morning I test fit the tuning machines and nut. It's not perfect, but this is still only my third guitar.

The tuning machines are open back Grover Sta-Tites. While tuning machines that these resemble can cost as much as several hundred dollars, these were around $40. The neck itself was a donation and as you can see it's not in pristine condition, but that sort of fits with the vintage motif I'm going for.

I installed the fretboard inlays and bound the fretboard several years ago but did my best to ensure that the length of the area of the first fret and that the leading edge was flush for the nut. This is crucial for the instrument's intonation.

The nut itself is made from cow bone and Martin guitars sells drop in replacements in their online shop. The neck itself came from Martin, which also caters to DIY luthiers - not just musicians. The issue here is that when I cut into the headstock veneer I didn't take into account the width of the blade, so the nut does not fit snugly into the slot. Neck time (which is an upcoming step on my second build) I will score a line with an exacto knife and cut it inside the line. I will then chisel away extra material little by little. Trying to do it all at once rushes things and as you can see is wasteful.

Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-25-2019, 10:32 AM
Just Dad

Looks nice, Kwak.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 10-25-2019, 12:17 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Thank you, thank you very much.
Still got some room on the fireplace mantle. I was thinking about continuing to make them and "donating" them to fundraising craft fairs, and silent auctions. ie; church , STEM co-op.
I'll never get paid for my time and frustration (2-3 months a few hours a week).

Otoh, I could never do what you do. I've always admired you talent.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks, TwoCubs. There are some flaws but I'm not a professional. I'd love to get to the point where I could churn out one every season though. Experienced luthiers can get one assembled and ready for finishing in only 40 man-hours of work. I'd love to pick their brains on how they have their process streamlined.

BTW, I did a little fall decor shopping. The wife is not a fan of the wheat. We're not gluten intolerant or anything; it just looks like a dog's tail and sheds.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Trophy Husband

Did the usual Friday laundry. Mad.e a trip to the supermarket. Mowed the lawn for the first time in 2 weeks. Picked up more leaves than grass. I decided it was a good opportunity to put down Fall/Winter fertilizer. I gotta figure out what is wrong with my ryobi gas lead blower. Won't start. Probably bad gas. I used my new ryobi 18 volt blower all summer. That won't cut it for clearing leaves.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Did the whole supervise school thing, and check her work, making sure she understood the lessons.
I swept the garage, putzed around in my files of all things sailing ships, looking for my next adventure.
I need to stop spinning my wheels and get the bottle first instead of making the ship and waiting to find a bottle to fit it in.
The boss had some oral surgery done, so I'm on duty tonight and probably tomorrow too.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:48 PM
Just Dad

Mark, if the blower is a gas/oil mix, I've found that using no-ethanol high octane gas makes a huge difference in performance and gas line rot. 87 octane vs 93 octane made a night and day difference in how the engine ran.

Kwak, the guys that do production speed may be doing several cut-outs at once. If you had three sets of components, I'm sure you could speed-up your construction if by only having more options to choose the best pieces to make one. Or better jigs. Speed seems to be more about good tools and jigs.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 10-26-2019, 03:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Mark, if the blower is a gas/oil mix, I've found that using no-ethanol high octane gas makes a huge difference in performance and gas line rot. 87 octane vs 93 octane made a night and day difference in how the engine ran.

Kwak, the guys that do production speed may be doing several cut-outs at once. If you had three sets of components, I'm sure you could speed-up your construction if by only having more options to choose the best pieces to make one. Or better jigs. Speed seems to be more about good tools and jigs.
Yeah, those jigs are expensive though. That's why I've been making my own. Tools are even more expensive, but I try to counter that by buying the cheapest I can find at Harbor Freight.

Prior to all of this I would go over to a friend's shop because he had all this stuff, but he and I are so much alike that it's actually a bad mixture of personalities. When I'm working on little projects like this I like to just blank out and get lost in the moment, not complain about things or other people.

I can't really explain it, but there's something therapeutic about whittling. I'm sure irie can relate. It can be frustrating too, but if you're working solo and don't have somebody distracting you it's kinda Zen.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:43 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Boss bought me an off-lease Nissan Rogue. Gets up the 1/2 mile 15%
Grade and the bunny hills ok. Only used half the throttle. It's a 4 banger, but a 2.5 with a selectable "sport mode." Only 25k miles. All maintenance docs (Lease veh), no signs of accidents, all lines are clean. No ripples, no paint overspray.
Funny thing, I quit the car sales business right b4 I went to my island in paradise, 15 years ago. The salesmans lines were scripted exactly as mine were. To the letter!!!
Even the price haggle. wife wants this off. He gives 1/3, she says no way, she threatens to walk, he comes back at 1/2, but says hurry and initial b4 the boss changes his mind.

2nd thing out of his mouth after his name and what's yours, was very nonchalantly, so... How long you lived around here, what kind of work do you do? (should I spend time with these people or pass them to a rookie?).
Didn't pull credit until negotiations were over.

Last edited by irie feeling; 10-27-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Trophy Husband

^^^
Years, milage, trim level? I believe you will be happy. I tell my daughter all the time how much i like hers. 26mpg in Eco mode and has plenty of pep. I just wish she kept it cleaner inside. Might get better mpg's. ;). Good luck Irie