Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I didn't use primer at all on new drywall throughout the entire room. It literally drank in the paint and I can still see the texture of the paper after the first coat. Even after the second I can still kind of see it. While the walls aren't wet per se if I press hard my hand wants to stick to the surface (which I thought was because I got semi gloss) but also if I rub my fingertips against the wall they come away blue with a chalky texture.

I'm hoping that laying a coat of primer over this will solve the problem. I'd hate to have to tear out all the new drywall because of this.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-24-2017, 02:48 AM
Trophy Husband

You will not have to tear down drywall. UHG! Thank God. You are on your way to fixing the issue. Friggen marketers!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I hear ya, Mark but I'm not happy essentially wasting 2 gallons of paint either. That shit ain't cheap.

Anyway, I ended up putting primer over some spots where I had to fill in imperfections in the jointing and it seems to be much firmer. We'll see once I paint on top of it - but first I bought another gallon of primer (as well as another gallon of the blue paint which I'm SICK of working with) and am going to redo the whole room. Ugh.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

One gallon of primer was not enough. Time to go to Deep Ho - er, uh Home Depot.

Seriously, the walls are looking better. The joints are pretty much invisible. We'll see how it looks when the final coat of paint goes on. My wife noticed because the smell of paint is strong and she checked it out. Now she's telling me that I need to fill in some spots in the master bedroom and paint in there too.

I still gotta get the foyer done though! The new flooring goes in in less than 2 weeks!

Speaking of wainscoting, I know that a couple of you have done it. Did you have to use a biscuit joiner to fit the slats and runners together? If so, I need to see if Deep - er, Home Depot rents them.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Ok, the room is all white again and there's no "gritt" coming off the walls. I'm thinking of keeping it this color but it still stinks of fresh paint.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Wife told me she'd still like to move. She doesn't have a timetable but I think she realizes that you can't upgrade if you sell your current home "as is" like our parents have been telling us.

That being said, she's on board with the renovations and this morning she painted the bedroom blue again. Then we chose new colors for the foyer/upstairs hallway and master bedroom. None of this, nor the new flooring figures into the marketability of the house though. She should know this; the first thing we did when we moved in was to paint every room in the house and several years later replaced the green carpeting throughout the house with the stuff we have now.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The new furniture comes tomorrow and we are not ready. Once the new bed is in I won't be able to move it so I have to move all the old furniture myself to the garage, put all the clothing contained therein somewhere and paint the wall behind the headboard. All this and Joey is still home on Easter break (that's what I'm calling it.)

Well, the furniture has been delayed. It's now not coming until Saturday. That gives me time to finish painting the entire room but until then Kelly and I are sleeping in Joey's old room because that's where she wanted me to move the old queen sized bed. I actually don't mind it. The room is in the rear of the house and used to be my study back in the day so I find it relaxing.

Eventually it will be Justin's new room but once the new furniture comes it will be the guest room/my doghouse.

Last edited by Kwak; 04-19-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM
New Daddy

Wow, that's nice. Much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The foyer and upstairs hallway is all painted up, though as you see I did skimp below the line where the chair rail/wallpaper used to be. It was a reach to get all the way up to the crown molding but the walls are done and my fear of ladders is just about gone. Yesterday I did the hallway and the only real problem I had was getting the frog tape to stick in the high humidity thanks to thunderstorms in the area. I'm waiting until the flooring is down before moving forward with the wainscoting. I have enough materials and a pocket hole jig that I could do the downstairs but I'm tied up painting the master bedroom.

The vinyl flooring is to be delivered today so that it can acclimate and the installers will be here working 2-3 days starting Tuesday. The furniture comes tomorrow, giving me one more day to finish painting the master bedroom.

There's still a lot to do but my part seems to be winding down. I wish that meant that I could pick up my guitar building hobby (since the humidity is about ideal) but not yet. A lot of it now is going to be shuffling the clutter to make room for the workers to do their thing. That means that I have to tackle the clutter in the basement to free up shelving space. I'm ignoring the garage though. The old bedroom furniture is down there and it's not totally trashed (a DIYer could easily replace the slides, hardware and refinish it) so it is awaiting being posted on Craig's List. We could use the extra money.

My wife has changed her tune slightly with regards to the renovations - though she still maintains that we need to move eventually because of Justin. Yesterday we had a person come in and give us a quote regarding cabinet refacing in the kitchen. She was a little relaxed about divulging the reasons why we need all this new stuff - though she limited talk of the stains on the ceiling being from ketchup and spaghetti sauce. Tomorrow we're getting another quote on the kitchen and we'll show them the bathrooms upstairs too. I'm expecting sticker shock. The master bathroom is her retreat and it sorely needs an update.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Just Dad

Looks good, Kwak.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar