Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2018, 09:20 PM
Trophy Husband

I donated blood again today! I also straightened up the garage and bought Powerball tickets.

Last edited by Mark B.; 10-17-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I never got to painting. Hanging out the upstairs window was enough of a thrill for me. I need to get one last shutter down and remove the rusty hardware that's drilled through the siding - a powdery mess that I am ignoring.

I took a look at the new shutters. The mounting hardware that came with them is plastic - and pretty soft-looking stuff at that. WTF?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM
Super Duper Daddy

There was frost last night. I'm taking all the patio furniture and the grill inside for the winter. The grates and flavorizers are soaking in the sink. They're an utter mess - but not rusty. The inside of the grill needs to be hosed out too. I also put the cover on the AC condenser outside the house. They say it's gonna be a cold winter.

Meanwhile, I just took down the last old shutter and accompanying rusted hardware from the second story. No ladder; I hung out the window - carefully! Disabling the double hung windows from when it used to be Justin's room (and he'd chuck stuff through the windows on to the driveway below) didn't completely bite me in the @$$ - or pinch my fingaz.

I also bought a new lamp for my nightstand that cost about $35 all told. Kelly didn't like it so I'm taking it back. I have her preferences on file but she wants to buy it herself. Getting her to dust off her nightstand and pick up her crap OTOH ...

At some point I'm going to have to mount that whole house humidifier. I really need to paint those shutters though. It's actually a nice day outside.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Trophy Husband

After the debacle I mentioned about dealing with a flat tire I could not get off my wife's car a few months ago I decided to give Amica's (our Insurance company) roadside assistance plan the boot. I guess you get what you pay for. I signed up with AAA. With my wife driving back and forth to Boston quite often and my son driving back and forth to VA on occasion I thought it would be a good idea. For the 4 of us it totaled to $160 (with a bonus extra month of coverage). What I really like about the plan is that even if my son was getting a ride home from school by a friend and they have an issue with the friend's car he can call and get help. I hope we never have to use it.

Kwak, you mentioned that you covered your AC unit outside. I figured you used a full tarp type cover, top and sides? I stopped doing this years ago on the advice from my pool company and a friend who had his pool heater trashed by mice who set up shack over the winter in his pool heater unit. On their recommendation I purchased 3'x3' square plywood sub floor panels that have rubber on one side. I place them on the top of the units and strap them down so as to keep the snow (and Mice) out of the unit.

Last edited by Mark B.; 10-18-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Not a g d thing.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:29 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah itís a tarp basically, but Iíve never had a problem with mice on that side of the house. Itís on the windward side of the house and is pretty exposed.

Anyway. 4 of 8 shutters painted and the back porch is cleared of everything but leaves. The basement is getting crowded though.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 AM
Super Nice Dad

I've been with AAA since college. Saved my ass in college twice, broke down over 150 miles from home. Was towed home for free. Back before the Internet and Cell phones, AAA of Central NY towed me 100 miles (part fo AAA+) and the guy told me to call AAA of Western NY and they will tow me the rest of the way and it worked.

Some years we never use it but get the occasional hotel discount. I've had them over 3 times to jump my car the past 6 months. No one drives the car and even after replacing the battery, it dies. I do start it up at least once a week and lately more. Now I think the brake line went, fluid all over the driveway. I think we are just going to trade it in for whatever they will give us, it also has hail damage. 2011 Malibu with 85,000 miles. Was hoping it would last 1-2 more years, I have a 15-year old that will be driving next year. I just do not want to dump money into a car that seems to have many issues.

HockeySave.com
Old 10-19-2018, 12:37 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Not a g d thing.

Funny!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:46 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
There was frost last night. I'm taking all the patio furniture and the grill inside for the winter. The grates and flavorizers are soaking in the sink. They're an utter mess - but not rusty. The inside of the grill needs to be hosed out too. I also put the cover on the AC condenser outside the house. They say it's gonna be a cold winter.

Meanwhile, I just took down the last old shutter and accompanying rusted hardware from the second story. No ladder; I hung out the window - carefully! Disabling the double hung windows from when it used to be Justin's room (and he'd chuck stuff through the windows on to the driveway below) didn't completely bite me in the @$$ - or pinch my fingaz.

I also bought a new lamp for my nightstand that cost about $35 all told. Kelly didn't like it so I'm taking it back. I have her preferences on file but she wants to buy it herself. Getting her to dust off her nightstand and pick up her crap OTOH ...

At some point I'm going to have to mount that whole house humidifier. I really need to paint those shutters though. It's actually a nice day outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Yeah itís a tarp basically, but Iíve never had a problem with mice on that side of the house. Itís on the windward side of the house and is pretty exposed.

Anyway. 4 of 8 shutters painted and the back porch is cleared of everything but leaves. The basement is getting crowded though.
Iím very open with my wife about what I do during the day and still she asks ďwhat did you do foday?Ē

LOLz. She so korprit. Iíll send her a memo.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Trophy Husband

Laundry, food shopping, mowed the lawn, put out inside Halloween decorations (don't ask me why but the boss wanted them out) and FINALLY got around to replacing the yellow flood light bulb in the back yard. The fixture is on the second floor and is not accessible by a window. Nice design plan! UHG! I have to use an extension ladder AND a long telescoping pole with a bulb fixture on it. First bulb comes out fine. For some reason the second bulb was giving me fits. I purchased it months ago as a 2 pack on Amazon. I get it in but it wont turn on. I take it out and decide to check it inside to see if it works. The screw end on the bulb turns out to have been manufactured wrong. It was tilted by 5 degrees or so. F me. Ordered more. Unfortunately these types of bulbs are getting harder and harder to find in stores.