Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Diaper Jockey

With the baseball season on hold, those of us diehard fanatics who were counting down the days until opening day, still need our fix. So here's what I've read, or will be reading in the coming weeks until hopefully the games get going sooner rather than later.

"For the Good of the Game" by Bud Selig - I realize that a lot of people have what I feel is an unjustified negative view of the man, but hopefully through reading this memoir detailing the struggles faced in changing the economics of baseball and dealing with the players' union in trying to rid the game of steroids, people can see the other side. I know people feel he should have just had everyone pee in a cup, if you tested positive, you're done, let's play ball. This book shows why that just wasn't possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Game-Sur.../dp/0062905953

"Ballpark - Baseball in the American City" by Paul Goldberg - Haven't gotten into this one yet, but as a fan of architecture and especially ballparks, this will be my next read.

https://www.amazon.com/Ballpark-Base...s%2C220&sr=1-1

"Summer Baseball Nation: Nine Days in the Wood Bat Leagues" by Will Geoghegan - A look at America's summer collegiate baseball leagues. This is a brand of baseball I have really grown to love. We have a team here in GB in Northwoods League, one of the top summer wood bat leagues in the country and one of the leagues the author visited for the book. These leagues will take on added importance this year with the cancellation of the college seasons.

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-Baseba...s=books&sr=1-1

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Diaper Jockey

FYI......As an indicator of what the folks at MLB might be thinking. The first in my e-Tickets for my Brewers ticket package that is not marked "Postponed" at this point is Sunday, May 24. Which happens to be Memorial Day Weekend. If possible, would probably make sense to start the season with the regularly scheduled games on Friday, May 22.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 PM
Diaper Jockey

Well....Our fearless leader had a conference call with the commissioners of all of the major sports leagues yesterday and said he hope that fans can return to stadiums by August and is hopeful that the NFL season can start on time. Just a couple of weeks ago we were talking about opening America back up for business on Easter.

Red Smith
Old 04-05-2020, 02:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I want to know what they're going to do with hockey?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-10-2020, 09:51 PM
Trophy Husband

So Yankees closer, Aroldis Chapman, has you 0 and 2 and your pitcher plunked the Yankees hottest hitter for the 2nd time this series the last inning. He throws a fastball at your head the next 2 pitches. Would you charge the mound or just tip your hat?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/aroldi...-boxing-video/
Old 04-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Chapman is a headhunter. he always has been. It doesn't matter which team.

As for "would you charge the mound?" maybe not, but I'd invite him to a nice game of catch.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this whole Grapefruit and Cactus League idea that's being floated around? Little by little it seems they're realigning to more of an NHL model. I kind of like it but feel like they need to go even further and go all Hunger Games.

Firstly, divisions in East/West leagues need to be both geographical and based on population instead of lumping regions together. That way the smaller markets can all compete with each other and not have to compete with the bigger ones just to get into the playoffs.

They also need to get rid of the midseason All Star game and the late season trade deadline. The break has historically been a momentum killer and I'm sick and tired of seeing teams go into yard sale mode because they were never competitive and are hoping for a better pick in the draft after the season. The All Star Game is garbage anyway.

When the playoffs come around they should fly the remaining rosters of all 30+ teams to Kansas (where the jet lag is equalized) and have the All Star game in the week leading up to the World Series. Sure, teams like Cleveland and Detroit will still have to face the Yankees and the Dodgers every year in the playoffs but without a trade system in place they should be just as banged up as every other team.

I know, I need to stop hitting the liquor cabinet but for me the alternative is to watch NO baseball and be absolutely fine with it because I see it more as a cash grab on fans who cling to the whole "America's Past Time" ideal which IMO hasn't existed in generations.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-14-2020, 02:25 PM
Diaper Jockey

As long as it gets live, meaningful baseball on TV sooner rather than later I'm all for the AZ/FL thing. And yes, it may break the ice to massive realignment. While I long for the days of the completely separate American and National Leagues that only came together twice a year, for the All Star game and World Series, constant inter-league play has destroyed that and we're never going back. Two teams have jumped leagues in the last 25 years. Just implement the universal DH and realign. Let's go!

Geography has to be maybe THE component, of any massive realignment because geography drives fan interest. Like Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska being in the Big Ten. Who cares? "Cancel your plans! The Badgers are playing the Terrapins on Saturday!" Huh? Plans get changed for the Badgers/Gophers. A small market/big market approach wouldn't appeal to me in the least. As a matter of fact I think that using market size as a component would have the opposite effect as small markets would say "We can win our division with a AAA team," and the arms race of the big markets grows even more intense as they have to outspend each other just to make the playoffs.

How about this:
Northeast - Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Phillies
Southeast - Nationals, Marlins, Rays, Braves, Orioles
Midwest - Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals
Pacific Coast - Dodgers, Angels, Mariners, Giants, A’s
Southwest - Astros, Rangers, Rockies, DiamondBacks, Padres
East - Tigers, Reds, Indians, Pirates, Royals

The Royals and the Mariners are the two teams that really cause the problems because they don’t naturally fit anywhere, but they’ve been dealing with that for 45 years. But you need to keep the historic rivalries intact - NYY/BOS, CHC/STL, LAD/SF. As a Brewers fan, this would maintain our two current rivalries, Cubs and Cardinals, and reignite two old ones from the team’s American League days with the White Sox and Twins. For me this would be a fun division. Wouldn’t be that interested in a division of MIL, KC, MIN, PIT, and CIN based on geography and market size.

Red Smith
Old 04-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Trophy Husband

No way will tty he Mets and Yankees be in the same division let alone league's.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:14 PM
Diaper Jockey

Nine/ten more sellouts for the Mets. And if the Mets can ever get out of their own way imagine meaningful games between the Mets/Yankees fighting for a playoff spot every September. Or does NY crave those 19 Yankees/Rays and Mets/Marlins matchups every year?

Happy Jackie Robinson Day!

Red Smith
Old 04-15-2020, 11:03 PM
Trophy Husband

Due to inteleague play in MLB the Mets get the reward of playing the Yanks 6 times. Trust me, it is way more than the Brewers playing the Cubs maybe 3 times a season while the Mets division competition got at least 1 dog interleague team. The Mets losing their division by 1 game twice back in the early 2000's can be attributed to this scenario. People from one horse towns have no idea about local rivals. Chicago I would guess is the only other.