Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Taught 5 subjects of school. With a lunch break. Then I too spent some time busting up ice off the driveway. Worst was at the bottom. The melt collects there and freezes. Sun broke up 95% of driveway ice. Having the plowman remove the 6 inches of snow was a win.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 AM
Trophy Husband

After trying to plow the frozen ice with a snow shovel and getting tired while doing it I got a flat bladed garden shovel and used that to break up all the ice and snow. That worked like a charm. I just had to plow the broken up ice chunks with a snow shovel. Still a lot of work. Had to do the sidewalk as well.
My driveway could hold about 10-12 cars.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Taught school.
Shoveled up a weeks worth of dog poop and tossed it on the woods. Honestly can't tell if deer poop or dog poop. The biggest count yesterday was 17 whitetail hanging out in my backyard yesterday afternoon.

Busted up more ice off walkway and driveway.

Cleaned all the bathrooms. Didn't do the showers, that's all dayer in itself.

Scrubbed that thing that you air dry some dishes on that you don't wanna put in the dishwasher. It was in need.
Beer me. Oh wait. I had to give that up. Think I'll go sit down and take a load off.

Last edited by irie feeling; 02-13-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Beach Daddy

Started changing out the outlets and face plates. The house was antique white (which looks more yellowy) from top to bottom when we bought it. Had the house painted last year when we moved in. Baseboards are nice and white so the outlets just look dingy. Did 8 outlets yesterday. Not hard just a PIA trying to jam the outlet back into the box and get it screwed in. Plus the new outlets are just a hair shorter so the wings on top don't hit right where the old ones did so it takes a little maneuvering to get everything straight. Going to start on the switches next week.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Trophy Husband

Setting up for my son's basketball team dinner at our house tonight. Should be between 25-30 people in all. Ya never know for sure though. Joining forces with another family. They are making penne in a meat sauce and salad and I am picking up chicken cutlet parm grinders from a local joint around here. All homemade grinders. MMM!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:35 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Let's see. The usual. Coffee, breakfast, 5 school lessons with lunch break. Watching a YouTube video I learned how to play "America the beautiful" on piano this afternoon.
Being warm as it was, I turned a rake handle and my garden hose w/sprayer and some duct tape into a gutter cleaner and gave it a try. Meh, not so good. I need a garden trowel on the end to scoop them out, yet I don't want to leave the ground. (Thinking cap)
Looking forward to 3-5 more inches of snow by Sunday Morn.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Setting up for my son's basketball team dinner at our house tonight. Should be between 25-30 people in all. Ya never know for sure though. Joining forces with another family. They are making penne in a meat sauce and salad and I am picking up chicken cutlet parm grinders from a local joint around here. All homemade grinders. MMM!

Holy Moly! The dinner was a big success! The boys mowed through 10.5 feet of chicken cutlet Parm grinders, 5 pounds of penne pasta that had 5 pounds of chop meat in it with of course lots of cheese, 2 pans of brownies, a full package of Costco chocolate chip cookies, a gallon bottle of Arnold Palmer Zero Ice tea and I don't know how much water and soda. Rumor has it that it was the best team pregame dinner of the season with a lot of bonding and team building. Sounds like good timing going into the playoffs.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
Started changing out the outlets and face plates. The house was antique white (which looks more yellowy) from top to bottom when we bought it. Had the house painted last year when we moved in. Baseboards are nice and white so the outlets just look dingy. Did 8 outlets yesterday. Not hard just a PIA trying to jam the outlet back into the box and get it screwed in. Plus the new outlets are just a hair shorter so the wings on top don't hit right where the old ones did so it takes a little maneuvering to get everything straight. Going to start on the switches next week.
I need to change outlets throughout certain rooms in my house as well. I don't know what happens to the old ones but plugs just won't stay in and some are half dead so you have to flip a coin to decide which of the two plugs even work so they have to go. It's funny but I'm also motivated to change them all to white to match the baseboards as well. I even went the extra mile and spent $5 a pop of decorate outlet plates.

The old plates have been wanting to pop off as well because of short screws. I walked into the dining room this morning to inexplicably find one of the old outlet plates had fallen onto the floor. It's telling me it's time to change things!

I really want to put smart outlets in my kitchen though. It's been 22 years since the Great Toaster Fire of Valley Forge but I still have OCD over making sure appliances that generate heat are unplugged whenever I leave the house.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Trophy Husband

I cringe when I hear the term "Jam" while describing the task of folding electric wires in an outlet. Yikes!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Yeah, but a little electrical tape on the exposed metal areas puts my mind at ease. When I tore out the walls in Justinís old room and saw house my house was wired and being paranoid about flaming toasters itís a wonder I can sleep at night.

In cleaning the basement I discovered a box of white electrical outlets and will be giving them a try on Monday. In the meantime, I have a couple of ďsmartĒ recepticals on order from Amazon that are removable. If they donít work out in the kitchen they will at least serve well as replacements for the bulky old timers we used to use for nightstand lamps when going on vacation.

Smart Plug 2-Pack Upgraded Mini WiFi Smart Outlet Work with Amazon Alexa Echo/Google Assistant and IFTTT, No Hub Required by KKUP2U https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LRB2YZ..._vYWHAb7Q883PT
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007