Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Huh?

The Cell was definately worth a read, I finished it last night.
I also enjoy those end of the world type stories, you gotta read Swan Song by Robert McCammon. It's along those lines as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 AM
Dowdy Kitchen Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondestpie View Post
The Stand has to be my favorite book of all time. read and reread about 5 times now. I enjoy end of the world entertainment as well .
Reminds me of the old Friends episode where Joey admits the only book he's ever re-read is the "The Shining" and whenever he gets to a scary bit he has to put it in the freezer for a while.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
"The Falling Man" was very hard to finish, having known some people who did not get out that day, but I can absolutely appreciate the craft of it.
The book of the same name by Don Delillo, also dealing with post-9/11, was one of his best. And that's saying something to me, as I think he's on of the top writers of the latter half of the 20th century.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Puritan

Usually I am reading textbooks, but in between semesters I do read other books...

Right now, I am in the middle of "Born in Blood: The lost secrets of freemasonry".

And I am re-reading "How to raise girls" for the third time.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Fear the Baker

Metamorphasis by Ovid

Ash:"dad how can a dirty hippy like you be such a flag waving do gooder"

Qaundo Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Give Me My Father's Bones" by Kenn Harper. It's the true story of an Eskimo boy named Minik, who along with 5 other members of his family, were brought back from the wilds of northern Greenland circa 1900 by William Peary who claimed to be the first man to get to the North Pole. The Eskimos were brought back "in the interest of science" and shacked up at the American Museum of Natural History in NY. The entire experiment was a disaster with 4 of the six dying fairly quickly due to lung issues. The title of the book is in regards to the museum keeping his dead fathers bones and using them for an exhibit. He ended up being the only Eskimo left state side and was pretty much handled like a public relations hot potato for the remainder of his short life which ended in his mid thirties after finally bouncing back and forth between Arctic Greenland and the North East United States. A tragic life indeed.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "The Last Days of John Lennon" by his personal man slave at the time of his death Frederick Seaman. I had read on SAHD websites and other articles about how Lennon took time of from his career to raise his young son Sean. What a lie. He and Yoko spent very little quality time with him. I think I learned more about Yoko than John. I have never wanted to punch a woman more squarely in the nose than her after reading the book. What a total using, self centered, no talent, spouse cheating, manipulative bitch she was and probably still is. She pretty much had Lennon killed by telling everyone their daily schedule in a Daily News interview against the advice of her security guard who took a leave of absence due to her doing so. After he was killed she hardly cared. "Put them under the bed" was her reply to the author when he asked her what to do with the urn holding Lennon's ashes just days after his death as she held a business phone call on the same bed about releasing the "Double Fantasy" album. Lennon was a talented funny free spirit who predicted how he would die. My favorite Lennon saying is "Fuck a pig!"
Old 01-15-2009, 02:17 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Listening to "Twilight" on my iPod. Had to see what the deal was. It is OK thus far.

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
SAHD to RN

Fondestpie,

Sadly I'm STILL reading Magnetic North..although I'm making it a point to read some every night after the kids go down...so I should be done soon. It's a really good book, fun to read about their trans-Canadian adventures.

A cool thing about the book I got...I bought it off amazon (or half.com) for $3. After I started reading it I noticed there was an inscription on the front page...turns out to be from one of the two explorers. Not the author, as he's dead, but the other one. Pretty neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondestpie View Post
Let me know what you think about it. I almost picked it up the other day but ended up with Kombia a book about two adventures who lived with the tribe in W. Papua. should be interesting i watch a show called Mark and Olly along the same lines
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

Started reading Millennium Falcon, basically a history of the ship from construction to the vast number of owners and escapades.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson