Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Health & Fitness

I was looking through my old posts in this section and it occurred to me that while the weight loss aspect of my efforts was chasing a number, I've been noticing some secondary side effects. Mostly, it's been that exercise has given me a reason to get away from the house or the computer - or the kitchen - and get outside and do something else.

The numbers seemed to be affected more by the more I went and did that, but what I've noticed more is that by doing yard work or entering a race I was more proud of my accomplishment. Getting on the scale and seeing a smaller number was the cherry on top, as was going to Kohl's to get new clothes and realizing that the clothes in "my size" were beginning to hang on me.

Nowadays the numbers I chase are miles ridden, pace and calories burned. The app I use for bike rides is not all that accurate so I'm thinking maybe I should invest in a Fitbit or a sensor for my bike.

Sadly, I can't seem to get the wife to confirm the benefits yet though...
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Wifey just came back from the outlets suit shopping, since she has new job. Surprise! She's down from a size 14 to an 8 in pants.
She's low carb, fats encouraged, AKA Modified Atkins diet, a type of Ketogenic diet, for 6 months now.
Her weight loss has stopped. When we met she was a size 22. She don't work out. I have always encouraged her to limit carbs., especially since she saw that they make me seize (pasta).
Old 09-26-2018, 01:47 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

You guys gotta get on Twitter
Follow Dr.Ted Naiman @tednaiman
He's LCLF he eats a ton of protein as fuel. He buys 8 pounds of steak a week! Grills the steak on Sunday and eats it during the week for dinner. A pound of Salmon. A whole chicken.
Bacon and eggs of course.
Does NOT go to a gym. Set up a pull up bar in his garage. Does same amount of pull ups as per age. Does dumbbell Reps. Says only 10 minutes a day!
Dude is ripped! So are his followers as seen by photos.
I imagine 2 Cubs can do that at gym.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Wifey just came back from the outlets suit shopping, since she has new job. Surprise! She's down from a size 14 to an 8 in pants.
She's low carb, fats encouraged, AKA Modified Atkins diet, a type of Ketogenic diet, for 6 months now.
Her weight loss has stopped. When we met she was a size 22. She don't work out. I have always encouraged her to limit carbs., especially since she saw that they make me seize (pasta).
That's good. As irritable as she has been, this is something that you should point out to her. Give Mrs. Bee a little honey, worker drone. She might be a little nicer.

Just kidding, kinda. Giving compliments will help your own state of mind though. I'm not saying gush over her and oversell it, sor should you be passive aggressive and say something that implies that how she was was bad. That will offend her or put her on guard.

Just during the course of normal conversation, when you have an opportunity - such as moving past her in the kitchen or the hallway - just mention that what she's been doing has made a noticeable change for the better. If you like it be honest and say so. If you say anything that is even remotely negative, don't say it at all.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I can't wait to get back on my bicycle. Little by little I've been taking off the wrapping and splint. I still sleep in it and wear it when I'm out and about, but when I'm not moving around or I need to tend to my hygiene - or even just use the computer or play guitar (to keep in practice) I've been adventuresome. I figure I need a little occupational therapy, that's all.

The only problem is that my arm is still sore, particularly where it has come in contact with the splint or the wrappings around my wrist. I know that's from having the wrapping a little too tight, which is why I take it off but OTOH I also feel that my biceps and triceps and even the muscles in my forearm are not getting the use they need. Whether the bones and ligaments and tendons haven't fully knitted I don't know but the aching of the muscles tell me that I do still need it. At least the bruising and swelling are gone.

FWIW the ortho told me that I should wear the splint another 10-14 days from when I saw him, after that wear the sling for another week. That was 10 days ago. My follow up is October 1st and and I'll be getting another X-ray done.

That being said, I don't know if that means I'll be able to do the 3-2-1 Ride in Pittsburgh on October 14th. I inspected my bike and I think I may have bent one of the rims slightly. The new handlebar grips have an extension and that broke so I know the bike took a jarring. It already needs a new crankshaft because they were having trouble getting the shifting dialed in and friction was fighting me. Now the front derailleur works even more poorly so that instead of 24 speeds I really only have 12 at best.

I was supposed to get a new bike for my birthday in July but what I wanted was to expensive and I ended up with no bike, just new tires and brakes on the van. Hopefully we have a little extra at Christmas for something for the spring. I'm doing my homework and analyzing my riding style and I'm reading a lot about Cyclocross and Gravel Bikes - which as essentially mountain bikes with no suspension for reduced weight, a shorter top tube, drop bars and gearing that's closer to that of a road bike.

Meanwhile, I need to take my old hardtail in to be inspected. The frame looks good and I think it's time to upgrade some components if it needs to be overhauled anyway. It's a "vintage" bike so I can find parts pretty cheap. I still want to try the single track in the local park this spring but it doesn't warrant buying a whole new bike and wasting the money by killing myself in the process. I'm already on Amazon pricing out components - and safety gear. Elbow pads are $44. I've spent 3x that on copays, ace bandages and an elbow brace.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Down to 155lbs. BMI is 23%. That's in the normal range.
I dropped 5 lbs on a liquid diet from being sick.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM
Alpha Dog

I just started walking on the treadmill this month after my dr said I was maxed out on medications. So after changing diet, starting working on the weight. Dropped from 348 to 323 in roughly a months time.
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I was looking through my old posts in this section and it occurred to me that while the weight loss aspect of my efforts was chasing a number, I've been noticing some secondary side effects. Mostly, it's been that exercise has given me a reason to get away from the house or the computer - or the kitchen - and get outside and do something else.
There are numerous studies out there about the benefits of exercise on mental health. I know for me there is just something about getting outside and doing something (running, kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing) that just de-stresses. I have started trying to run once or twice a week with no headphones. Just taking in everything and enjoying the quiet. Glad to hear that the weight loss is going well.