Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Last nice day before we apparently get the outer bands of Hurricane Michael. I'm taking the opportunity to do as much work outside as I can. The plan is to:

- tackle the rusty iron railings on the front step,
- paint the shutters still hanging on the back of the house,
- cut more panels from a 10" composite plank (with a chop saw that can only do 7" cuts and do the rest by hand with a Japanese pull saw and elbow grease) to wrap the base of the box pillars on the front porch.

First, Ima gonna go for a walk. Wife is home sick and I need to get fresh air or risk getting sick myself.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Cleaned the master bath.

Supervised with school. Pippa is happier now that it's online.

Finished the Lighthouse. Next I gotta it in the bottle. A really long bottle. It needs to be "planted" on green grass (clay) so that's really next.
No rush.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Trophy Husband

The wife and I went on another 1:40 power walk mid day. It sprinkled a little early on but it was a car wash for the last 30 minutes or so. No biggie. At least I did not sweat. sucked wearing glasses though.

Made some brownies to sen to my son at school. My daughter and I went to a flu shot extravaganza at our Dr.s office.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Last nice day before we apparently get the outer bands of Hurricane Michael. I'm taking the opportunity to do as much work outside as I can. The plan is to:

- tackle the rusty iron railings on the front step,
- paint the shutters still hanging on the back of the house,
- cut more panels from a 10" composite plank (with a chop saw that can only do 7" cuts and do the rest by hand with a Japanese pull saw and elbow grease) to wrap the base of the box pillars on the front porch.

First, Ima gonna go for a walk. Wife is home sick and I need to get fresh air or risk getting sick myself.
OK. Update time from yesterday:

Railings: spayed with rust eater and let sit for about an hour before hitting them with a wire brush. Then I used a rattle can to spray what I could before it started raining. I got the bushes next to the steps pretty good, but they're going to get trimmed.

Back porch shutters: taken down, painted and rehung. It afforded me the opportunity to clean all the crap out from behind the shutters and on the siding. I even cleaned out the link that was collecting in the cage of the dryer vent. While I was at it I wiped down some of the white PVC and aluminum. That's not a priority but my OCD had kicked in.

- I cut out what I could for the bases of the box pillars on the front porch. An 8'x10'x3/4" PVC board gave me enough to cut out eight 10.5"x10" panels with 45 degree miters but my chop saw only has a 9" blade. It took me awhile to figure out that by just marking a line with a T square the I could make a clean enough continuation of the circular blade cut with a good old fashion cross cut hand saw. I found that the unfinished cut was an adequate miter for the large hand saw blade to follow. Then I used a block plane to smooth it all out and make a nice tight miter joint. Naturally, the first couple of boards are rougher than the rest. Along with some decorative trim and base cap most of the cutting is done and I have it temporarily placed for fitting purposes. I've decided that I'm going to save any major work to the front porch for spring (one pillar needs to be replaced due to rot and the concrete needs to be properly resurfaced) but I need to finish up the paint.

After all this my ailing elbow is screaming at me. Oh well, I'm supposed to be rehabbing it.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Trophy Husband

Along with the usual day to day BS I bought some Megamillion tix!
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 AM
Super Nice Dad

Did some work in the AM, played 18 holes in the afternoon. Started mowing the grass and ran over a metal grate with the mower (damn kids moved the metal fire pit and the grate was flat in the grass), might be the end of my 15-year-old riding mower, she started smoking. Had to push mow the rest of the lawn.

HockeySave.com
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Dad View Post
Did some work in the AM, played 18 holes in the afternoon. Started mowing the grass and ran over a metal grate with the mower (damn kids moved the metal fire pit and the grate was flat in the grass), might be the end of my 15-year-old riding mower, she started smoking. Had to push mow the rest of the lawn.

18 in the afternoon this time of year up North?! You rock!

Sorry about the mower.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Nice Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
18 in the afternoon this time of year up North?! You rock!

Sorry about the mower.
It was a little breezy but sunny and in the mid 50's. Might be able to sneak out for 9 holes on Friday, suppose to be mid to high 50's and sunny. Might be my last chance.

HockeySave.com
Old 10-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Man, it's cold outside! How the heck am I supposed to paint?!?

No matter; I need to do laundry anyway. Wife has this annoying habit of leaving her clothing just lie where ever and then yells at me when I pick it up and wash it. I bought a hamper and said to her "please use it, I don't like clutter any more than you do" but still ...

Yesterday's big accomplishment was using a hand cart to move the new kitchen table around the side of the house, up the hill and in through the back door. It's a heavy sucker that I'm dubbing "the octopus" because it's got 8 legs - it's extendable. Meanwhile the old table that Justin busted has to go down to the curb. I'm still amazed at how an 80 pound kid could flip it like a card table. He's 120 now. Hopefully this new table is unflippable.

Anyhoo, at some point I'm going to hang out the windows and try and pull down the old faded shutters. After laundry is done I'll get to painting the new ones. The shutters in the back are done. I like the new color a lot; they're Navy blue in satin finish and it's a nice accent color to our bluish gray siding with bright white trim.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I quit. For today. Supervised school. 30 minutes per subject, then worksheets. She had to go to the doctors so I had to get her showered and lunches and out the door.
Vacuumed downstairs.
Put the lighthouse in the bottle.
What a b#itch. Using a long rod hot got tacky glue where I needed it, (on the clay grass) but it was dry by time I maneuvered lighthouse there. So hard to grab onto and hold it. Started out with chopstick method. Couldn't work that in the bottle too well. Finally I turned my kabobs into like grill tongs by rubber banding the back end and prying open with a finger, and grabbed more glue. Oyyyy.