Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2018, 02:55 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm crunching numbers for redoing the vanity in the hallway bathroom. I still want to get that done by November. I could probably get it done for about $700.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-28-2018, 02:43 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Got home from the Thursday co-op, and went right to the Emergency Room, horrible stomach pain like somebody punched me right where the belt goes.
Diagnosis: diverticulitis.
Sent home still in pain, but with a hand full of antibiotics and a few names of gastrologist to follow up with.
That's what I did today!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:00 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Damn, irie. You’re quite the fixer-upper. Did they tell you to go on a liquid diet and avoid eating certain foods. Did they talk about reducing stress and going on probiotics afterwards? Probably not.

Meanwhile, my wife and I had a good talk about fixing up the house. I think we’re in agreement on a couple of the bigger projects. She’s fo used in getting the bathrooms done and working on the front porch and facade.

She had an idea on the latter that I really liked: Stone semi-columns on the front porch with matching stone over the red brick foundation. Our house has blue siding with white trim. I bought new shutters and am painting them Navy blue. The stone she has in mind is gray flagstone. The shingles on the roof are gray.

She had me go in local builders’ websites to illustrate. I wish I had Photoshop on my laptop. I’d be mocking it up. That kind of thing is very similar to what I envisioned going to school for.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

No. Dang E.R. Leaving that to gastro doc, but you can't an appt until a month from now. They put me on the waiting list as well. Still wasn't sure about the diet thing and had to ask my sister a divert patient and Lpn.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Super Duper Daddy

No more Italian food for you. Too acidic. Eat lots of chicken soup. Seriously.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Trophy Husband

The bulk of the day was spent driving to and from NY (1.5 hours each way) to pick up a car for a friend of mines daughter. Surprise 16th birthday gift for her. Now all she needs to do is get her permit and start the whole license process. As a thank you he treated me to a very good BBQ lunch. Fried pickles as an app and the best corn bread I ever had. I gots me some leftovers!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Could have took it easy, and that would have been okay. Green beans for breakfast. Homemade guacamole for lunch. (Mashed Florida avocado and salt), supervised school. Made ice cream fat bombs for my sweetie as it looks like I can't have them anymore. I can be low carb, but high fat probably not a good idea. It's ok, I can be Modified Atkins. The high fat slows down Bms, encouraging bacteria to fester with diverticulosis. TMI?
I worked on the railing for my miniature lighthouse. Broke the light house. It's painted clay. Gonna glue it, and paint the seam. Ugh. Vacuumed downstairs and stairs and landing, made dinner, a touch late.
Wifeys first day on new job. Only 15minutes away. Really threw off my timing.
Said She went to court. Some jerk called in a bomb threat. Court house didn't open until after lunch and court didn't start until 330. Judge insisted in running thru every case. All Dui's and drug charges from weekend and plenty of them.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

My wife is overseas on business so I'm struggling with motivation. In keeping with my wife being hot and heavy about focusing on the curb appeal of our house I have to focus on the outside this week. The truth is that after being so focused on the inside (and the kitchen sticking out like a sore thumb from being shabby) looking at the outside I see there's a lot of work to do and precious little time before the first potential snowfall to do it.

The old shutters are beaten. One blew off and actually shattered and the rest are warped after 30 years being in the elements so I ordered 4 new sets for the front of the house. They were formerly a royal blue that matched the front door but have also faded in the sun and my wife wants them to be Navy blue. That wasn't a choice though so I ordered midnight blue and humored her by buying a gallon of something a little darker.

I set out to start painting the shutters yesterday with Joey's help (what a good boy) and didn't really like the new color - at least not while it was wet. It was not nearly Navy blue. So I rinse off the spot I'd started and grabbed one of the old shutters that fell off and had Joey help me slop on a coat. It's had time to dry so I'm going to take a look at it before the rain starts. It's going to have to get done though. She Who Must Be Obeyed can NOT be denied.

Meanwhile, the front porch looks like dogshit. The iron railings are rusty and the box pillars are rotting. Paint is flaking off everywhere and even the concrete on the front porch is chipping. It's a big job - and I'm thinking it's not going to get done before it starts snowing. I'm thinking of just getting a can of paint and giving it all a once over just to kick the can down the road until spring. Hopefully my in-laws (the King and Queen of Sofa but with a discriminating eye) don't notice the polish on the turd when they come visit - but I know they will.

Seriously though, the plan is to replace the rotted plywood and rusted iron with something more durable. I've been looking at composite rails that match the back porch's and am weighing on getting hollow composite box pillars to replace the rotting plywood ones. Both are 8" x 8" but I may also want to wrap the bottom half of them with that NuStone stuff too. If I cheap out I can replace just one of the pillars which is a total loss and not really doing its job; the railing is.

Replacing pillars is a two man job though IMO, and with one arm I'm even less than half a man. I wish there was a little blue pill...

OK, joking aside I'm breaking this down into three phases:

1: resurface the patio. Wife wants that pebbled effect. Anything is better than the chipped patch job I did. $$$$ to hire out. I'm no mason.

2: step railings - which involves cutting out cast iron from concrete. Again; best left to the pros. It would need four posts and I have my eye on a post at Lowe's that matches the design of the mailbox/planter that I put in a couple of years ago. $$$$ to hire out - I'm not grinding anything.

3: pillars and railings on the porch. Replace a rotted post with a composite, wrap all three with NuStone and install 3 sections of rail with composite to match the back porch. $800 in materials + $$$ in labor for post installation only. I'll DIY the rest in the spring.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'm going to get much accomplished today. This beautiful morning is supposedly going to turn rainy so I'll be at Lowe's buying materials and maybe swinging by Michael's for some decor instead, because that's how I roll. I could potentially drop $1000 on my part of the project easily and try and DIY it myself like the proverbial Little Red Hen (where everybody else wants the rewards without getting their hands dirty.)

PS: we had some gift card balance on Amazon and I bought an Aprilaire 500M whole house humidifier. The gift cards were from my in-laws for Joey but FIL wanted us to get a humidifier for when they come visit because they're Floridians and get sick easily from their cushy lifestyle. I won't complain about any improvement in the air quality. We'll hook Joey up some other way. In the meantime I need to buy duct work.

PPS: I also need to rent out a table saw. There's rotted wood on our bay window on the leeward side of the house that a contractor neglected to figure into a quote to fully wrap in aluminum. I bought composite materials and cut them to length on my chop saw. I just need a table saw to rip out an angle along the length so that they miter to the same dimensions as the existing trim.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Trophy Husband

Wow Kwak, that is some honey do list. Good luck!

Doing wash and i spent 2.5 hours cleaning the basement. It has not been getting the use it got in the recent past with my son and his friends being away at college and not eating me out of house and home downstairs (I can't wait until Thanksgiving when most of them will be back and visit). Have an eye Dr. appointment this afternoon.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Supervising and mopping a couple rooms. Might make banana bread for Pippa.

Somebody called in another one to the courthouse today.

Say Kwak, how long she gone , a month, a year? That is a big list!

Last edited by irie feeling; 10-02-2018 at 04:42 PM.