Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Pittsburgh's Home & Garden show starts next Friday and we're thinking of going. We're moving ahead with new flooring now that the walls are nearly ready.

There is STILL a huge hole in the wall by the stairs. I could patch it easily enough but I definitely want to put wainscoting there, something like this:

The thing that's got me confused is how to integrate the chair rail if I'm going to have to use a 1/8" thick backing board to reinforce the wall. I also need a table saw with a fence that will allow me to cut the angle and rip the entire board so that it's only 37" high (which is the height of the doorknobs.)
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

My wife came up lame this weekend (pun intended, but an old injury has come back to haunt her again) so we didn't get to go to the Home Show, but we have a lot going on already.

Last weekend we bought new bedroom furniture and mattresses. The mattresses were 18 years old so it was time. Then this weekend we ordered new flooring for the entire downstairs and in the bedroom I just rehabbed. By "we" I mean to say that I let her make all the big choices, but she does have good taste so it wasn't hard. It should all be in by mid April. I'm actually excited and can't wait to invite people into our home again.

Next up is kitchen cabinetry and remodeling two bathrooms, but wife is going through buyer's remorse because of the cost so it will be awhile.

BTW, despite all this I would be surprised if she wasn't still thinking about moving.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Beach Daddy

That is exciting. We are in the search of a new mattress also. But after all the recent new house expenses it looks like the mattress will have to wait.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:25 PM
Super Daddy

Kwak - she'll probably wait until you finally get the current house just the way you want it!
Son #1 05/10
Son #2 11/13
Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Third View Post
Kwak - she'll probably wait until you finally get the current house just the way you want it!
Probably...but at least we didn't take out a $100K loan. My wife got her bonus so so far it's covered. We still haven't drawn from the HOC LOC though. A lot of the expenses that she's been complaining about have been from me buying things from Lowe's and Home Depot. I spend $300 a month there easily.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

While my wife is away and before the new flooring arrives to be installed I'm trying to finish up paining the walls once and for all. Even though I've put two coats of paint in that room I renovation, seeing the outlines of the joints was bugging me so I've gone back and put up some more joint compound. The room looks like shit again but everything's smooth so today is the day that I'm within shooting distance of sticking a fork in this project. I'm off to HD to get one last can of paint and the last of the trim and crown mouldings.

The foyer is also a wreck though. I tore out the baseboards and runner along the staircase but all the walls are now patched and sanded smooth. Before I attempt to tackle putting up wainscoting on my own I need to paint. I have no clue what color to use but I have two gallons of a warm beige for the family room and am tempted to just use that.

That project alone will take me two days, then it's on to the wainscoting. I plan on doing it in phases, but I don't think I have enough time to finish before the new flooring gets installed in two weeks.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Super Duper Daddy

OK, I'm not going to get it done but I need to try. I have until 4pm to make a dent in things. I have some errands I need to run too though.

Here's the deal: the dark blue paint/primer I used not only needs several coats to fully soak in and cover the bare drywall because it's so dark (a gallon needed 15oz of "colerant") but it also needs longer to set between coats - which is why it still felt "sticky" even after putting on the second coat.

The real roadblock though is that I still had imperfections in the joint compound so I had to do more filling. They're now sanded smooth and I need to wipe the walls down with a tack cloth before painting yet again. After that, I need to put the new door and window trim up. My miter saw stands ready but my work around the windows is so uneven that it looks like utter shit.

At least the ceiling and trim are cleaned up. The goal should be not to get things perfect but good enough that the new carpeting won't get ruined if I need to do touch ups.

Meanwhile, I'm moving forward with the wainscoting in the foyer. Guess what needs to happen in there though? You guessed it: I have to paint the walls. I was up on the ladder the other night taping off the crown molding. I fucked up when I was using a pole to roll out the primer and there's an "oopsie" on the ceiling in one hue and another in another hue on the molding nearby. Both are about 16' up.

I HATE ladders and I have no idea what color the molding is so I'm going to have to paint it another color. Ugh.

Meanwhile, if I want the walls to look decent (unlike my shoddy job in the blue bedroom) I need to prime over the new drywall and jointed patches throughout the entire foyer and upstairs hallway. I have a quart of primer for that.

Once the spots are primed I need to wait at least a day to paint - only I have no idea what color my wife would want. I'm hoping she's okay with me using the 2 gallons I have for the open plan kitchen/family room.

Next up of course is the wainscoting itself. I have already purchased 5 presized MDF boards measuring 4'W x 32"H x 1/8" thick. They cost $50. I'll need to by at least 3 more to do the upstairs hallway (there are lots of doors so I'll have to cut them to size.) After that, I"m planning on following this tutorial:

https://www.familyhandyman.com/walls...l/step-by-step

I was pricing out lumber for the runner and the beadboarding and I'm looking at about $150 in materials for the downstairs.

Speaking of money, apparently I've been so much shopping at Home Depot they consider me to be a "pro" and sent me a coupon for $20 off my next purchase of $200. I think there's strings attached though, like signing up for a credit card or something but my wife has been an outspoken critic of me wasting coupons.

Regardless, I think that that particular project will need to happen next week before the flooring is to be laid down. I at least need to get the room painted and the backing boards tacked up. I'm leaving the baseboards to the guys laying down the flooring.

Anyway, enough yapping. I have some paint to sling.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Just Dad

Kwak, use a PVA primer over fresh drywall and mud. It should seal the porous mud and drywall so you don't use as much of your expensive topcoat. You can also re-mud and sand over this primer a little easier. Tinting the primer can lengthen the dry-time.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Kwak, use a PVA primer over fresh drywall and mud. It should seal the porous mud and drywall so you don't use as much of your expensive topcoat. You can also re-mud and sand over this primer a little easier. Tinting the primer can lengthen the dry-time.

That's what they told me. Since I already have two coats with spotty coverage I had to sand it so that the next coat hopefully adheres. This something I should have educated myself about going into this project. From this point on whenever I spackle I'm going to use dedicated primer.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 PM
Career SAHD

Ah, so you didn't use the primer on patched spots, now I get your other problem.... Twocubs is right. You'll get it I'm sure.