Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck
Default What time is bedtime?

We have very few friends with kids, and the other day as I was getting ours ready for bed our oldest said his friends at school could stay up later. While I have no idea if that's true or not, it got me thinking about what time people generally have their kids go to bed.

We have one about to go in to pre-school and he goes to bed at 7 (which he needs as a few minutes past 7 meltdowns about every little thing begin to occur). The other is going in to 2nd grade and he's in bed by 7:30, though I often hear him making noise and moving around for awhile after.

So I was just wondering at those ages, what time you had your kids in bed by.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Our 7yo hits bed around 8:30 on school days. 9-10 other days. She does still sometimes crap out in the middle of the day.
It's funny, our first and second had bedtimes at 8 for a long time. Now the 14yo goes to bed whenever, we try and get the 12yo to bed by 9 which can be anytime from 9 to 12.

We've relaxed a lot over the years.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

9:30 but I've been letting it slide. When I was young I had to catch the bus at 6:30 so my mother figured that I needed 8 hours of sleep before getting up
At 5:30.

Those were different times though, and I didn't have the Internet to distract me!

I'd say that 7pm is "wind down" time for you. That means the devices and TV go off, lights get dim, head upstair and it's time for bath/brush your teeth/PJs go on.

Kinda OT but here's the inspiration for my ritual:

In the Navy we had several routines that followed the diurnal cycle. At 5 pm while underway they'd announce "darken ship, commence material condition X ray" which meant that any room in the ship that looked out of the ship had to turn off any white lights and turn on red lights. The material condition involved closing certain doors for reasons of security because of reductions in manpower and to seal off lower traffic areas in case of flooding.

later, at 9:55 they'd announce "tattoo tattoo" which is 5 minutes before lights out. The ships chaplain would come on the PA and say the evening prayer. 5 minutes after "Tattoo" was "taps" and they'd play the song that many associate with funerals. That just meant it was time to turn the white lights out in the living spaces and turn on the red lights so that people could still see but could also sleep under the subdued lighting.

At home to this day, when my wife goes upstairs for her bath I'll dim the lights downstairs and in the upstairs hallway. She complains all the time after coming out but she's set in her own routine and she immaculately thinks she's in charge. Lately I've tried to set "Tattoo" (I don't calll it that though) at 9 and have Joey put on his PJs and brush his teeth. His ADHD makes it hard for him to settle down so I spend the next half hour corralling him so that he's tucked in by 9:30. My wife is usually already in bed by then. My problem is that I worked the night shift - both in the Navy and with Justin.

When Justin was home though, he'd get silly like that around 7 too, so one of us would take him upstairs at that time with the intent of putting him down by 8 - which IMO was too early and part of the reason why he would be up early or fighting bedtime. I've seen similar attitudes of other parents of autistic children. Some call the unpredictable moods late in the day as "Power Hour." Everybody has their own strategies. We turned to melatonin early on. I've tried it myself. It doesn't do much if I'm charged up though.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Super Daddy

We are also an 8:30 p.m. bed time on school days for the 7 y.o. (and 3 y.o. too), although we try and get the ritual started by 8 p.m. More flexible on the weekends. Sometimes we let the 7 y.o. stay up a bit later than the 3 y.o., particularly on weekends.