Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Paper on Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 AM
New Daddy

Default Research paper, SAHDs pros and cons

Right now I'm a senior at CSULB and I'm writing a research paper for my Spanish class on SAHDs and I want to make arguments for why SAHDs should be (more) socially acceptable. However, I need research against it as well. I'm having a little trouble finding that. I'm sure a few of you have come across some of this research, so if you could point me in the right direction or make some suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day
Old 03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

So you are asking a group of SAHD's why they shouldn't be SAHD's?

I can't think of any reasons.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Always Irritated

I think you'll find it difficult to find real research specifically aimed at that. If I were you i would look at the gender and find data associated primarily with the male gender and make arguments based off that data. I.E. abusive parents, statistically is the male or female typically found to be abusive. You could also find data on pay scale's, who typically makes more, how would that impact a family?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao95 View Post
I think you'll find it difficult to find real research specifically aimed at that. If I were you i would look at the gender and find data associated primarily with the male gender and make arguments based off that data. I.E. abusive parents, statistically is the male or female typically found to be abusive. You could also find data on pay scale's, who typically makes more, how would that impact a family?
My only hesitation with approaching a paper that way is that it will come off as SAHD's are abusive parents, or males in general are abusive. Whether a male is abusive, an alcoholic, drug addict, etc really has nothing to do with why men, in general, should not be a SAHD. Yes, it does indicate that those particular men shouldn't be SAHD, but it doesn't mean all men shouldn't be a SAHD. Rather dangerous to put all men into the same pot.

I think it's fine to say in a paper that there is no viable research to support the fact that men should not become a SAHD. If there isn't any, then don't start making it up; as then the whole paper and all it's research then comes under question.

If there aren't reasons why men shouldn't be SAHD then there aren't any reasons. This reminds me of some of the newspaper articles I've read. There is no story but yet they somehow concoct a story anyway, which is full of false data. To me, that is the lowest form of journalism - well, it's not even journalism.

I wouldn't take the journalist's approach for an actual research paper. If you can't find the research, but have to present an opposing argument, then take a different approach to the paper where you can find data and research to support your statements.

Good luck with the research paper.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Always Irritated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.en.espaņol View Post
I want to make arguments
I disagree QV, the OP states he wants to make arguments, any research can be skewed (and I'd argue most of it is), in this case the OP will simply be dissecting the biggest issue with sahd's, that being they are MEN. So why would being a man be an issue. Arguments one would likely hear would be "maternal instinct" (or lack there of), in which case statistics that show most abuse is caused by men would go very nicely with that argument. It's up to the reader to decide if they believe one supports the other, some will, some won't. The same goes for any gender related argument because the issue at it's core is gender.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Dad in Training

Read the entire OP and the entire sentences. For me, I find it rather dangerous when only part of the sentence is quoted and then it's joined to a concept of a different sentence or thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.en.espaņol View Post
Right now I'm a senior at CSULB and I'm writing a research paper for my Spanish class on SAHDs and I want to make arguments for why SAHDs should be (more) socially acceptable. However, I need research against it as well. I'm having a little trouble finding that. I'm sure a few of you have come across some of this research, so if you could point me in the right direction or make some suggestions that would be great.
In re-reading the OP, he states that wants to make an "argument" why SAHDs should be more socially acceptable. He also states that he needs "research" against "it". "It" would refer to his previous sentence of "why SAHDs should not be socially acceptable". To say that he wants to make an argument why men shouldn't be SAHD, isn't what he stated. Arguments and research are two different things. Ideally, yes, they can and should coexist with the research supporting the argument. I just think one has to be careful in how they present the two and that the two are related and that the research is actually, research. In order to present the research and argument that men are abusive, one would need to do a poll to see how many SAHDs are abusive compared to those that aren't. Once that is done, then one can argue that SAHDs should not be socially acceptable because the X% are abusive.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Always Irritated

I think your splitting hairs, if he argues for, and looks for research against, obviously both sides will incorporate both aspects, so taking a part of the sentence in that instance didn't alter the meaning that was inferred by the original post.
Second, the research does not have to be sahd inclusive. Why is being a stay at home dad not socially accepted? What statistics collide with what trains or thought (right or wrong), to produce those arguments. Your seeing the tree and missing the forest.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
"Not Willsdad"

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 PM
New Daddy

Great suggestions and perspective already. I do want to clarify, though.

There is a stereotype in the United States about the oaf father who is just as likely to put a baby's diaper on the child's head than he is over the kid's waist (I'm sure all of you have read this http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/12/living...dad-stereotype). I want to take a stance against this common idea in the United States. Skewed statistics and points of view are fine, heck even encouraged because they will be even easier to argue against.

Most of the points against SAHD's are going to be phrased something like this:
Se dice...
They say.... [that SAHD's are poor care takers because men are more likely to be abusive.] And then I would argue why you guys make great dads and not abusive parents.

Of course SAHD's are not more likely to be abusive and there is research to suggest that SAHM's have higher rates of abuse than SAHD's.

As of right now most of the perspective against SAHD's comes from a religious point of view, but is in no way academic. This is usable but can be problematic when writing academically.

Thanks again for the help, gentlemen. Like I said, you're already providing good input that I can use.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
"Not Willsdad"

I've never read that article. I've done this for 8 years.

As far as abusive or not. I think either parent can be abusive. I think it's narrow minded to think only men are abusers and don't think that comes into being a SAHM or a SAHD in the slightest. I think having a male parent at home gives a more stern parenting approach to some degree where most women are loosey goosey in their approach. I'd argue that men are better overall. I know I could change a diaper quicker than most any woman. Just like in other areas of life or sport. Men are better.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.